2011 MacBook Bootup showing code + black screen instead of apple logo

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by striker33, Mar 7, 2011.

1. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Just got the new high end 15", and for some reason whenever i boot up, instead of the white background and apple logo all i get is line after line of code before the system boots up.

Ive tried reinstalling and using different HDDs, but even when i boot from the OS dvd i still get the same boot up code.

Anyone know whats up with it and if it should be returned?

Thanks

2. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

My first iMac did that out of the box. Had to be returned. I suggest you contact Apple. Good luck

3. striker33 thread starter macrumors 65816

striker33

4. adztaylor macrumors 68000

Sounds like verbose mode, but that shouldn't be activated default on a new Mac.

5. striker33 thread starter macrumors 65816

striker33

Thanks for that! Disabled with an easy terminal command. :D

6. tungo529 macrumors member

Looks like a jailbreak for a MBP!

No, that happened to me on my cousins 13" MBP. I wiped the hard drive and did a reinstall of the OS and it booted up fine after. Hope that works for you. Saves you a trip of going to Apple.

Edit: I didn't know about the terminal command. I just did a fresh install. That terminal command would have saved me 40 minutes.

7. striker33 thread starter macrumors 65816

striker33

For some reason 3 fresh installs didnt fix it for me, but oh well.

As long as nothing else is affected then I'll be able to sleep tonight :)

8. DoghouseMike macrumors regular

I don't think reinstalls will fix it, I don't think it's related to anything on the actual hard drive, it's deeper than that. Eg, I have "verbose mode on" in one of my powermacs (running leopard), and put a blank hard drive in and installed Tiger to it (to transfer to a B+W G3 I'm getting rid of), and even booting the Tiger drive in that, verbose mode "sticks". So it's something in ROM, or open firmware, or something.

Onyx lets you enable/disable it, and a whole bunch of other nifty things to the point that it should be installed on EVERY mac in the world, ever. Well, the ones running OS X anyway

9. rogerh macrumors member

my new 15" did that too.. I think if you hold down command + option + p + r on boot it will disable it.