2011 Macbook Pro 17 with a geekbench score of 2790 :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BroadBlast, Jun 5, 2011.

1. BroadBlast macrumors newbie

3 days use of my macbook pro and it was flying. I didn't bench it but photoshop launched in about 2 secs (rather than the usual 12 secs on my 2007/08 2.2 Core2).... Crysis 2 ran beautifully under bootcamp. Then the next day it doesn't boot after not waking from sleep and being hard-reset. No LEDs, not even on the power supply. I take it in for repairs, thinking its the logic board. They reset the board and then decide its the SSD which won't mount. After waiting for 6 days for the SSD they tell me its going to take another 2 weeks so I tell them to rip out my old machines Vertex2 and put that in, rather than wait 20 days for the worlds worst service turnaround on a hard-disk (when Western Digital turnaround is 7 mins here).

I take it home and its running but its sluggish,
    Photoshop launches in 12 secs.
    Geekbenches at around 2700,
    I run Techtool all ok, throw in 8 gigs of ram... not better. Test the SSD with Drive Genius its running around 110-225MB/s but CC cloner did a backup at 27MB/s to an esata external (through a sil3132 Express card, normally 70MB/s).
    I installed a clean OS onto and external USB... and still get the same score of around 2700.
    CPU temp is fine (under 60),
    Permissions repair is done.
    Techtool says its running 2.2Ghz but the hunk of junk is benchmarking 20% lower than my old Core2Duo 2.2.
    Firmware is up to date.

Running out of ideas... Any suggestions?

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,3
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 8 GB
    Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B0E
    SMC Version (system): 1.70f3

Disk

Capacity: 120.03 GB (120,034,123,776 bytes)
    Model: OCZ-VERTEX2
    Revision: 1.29

2. Goohfy macrumors regular

Goohfy

I'd definitely take it to the apple store, as it is still under warranty.

3. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Why not swap in the old hard drive, the one it shipped with? And don't do a cc clone, do a fresh install from the DVD. Also, you might try a fresh install onto the Vertex from the DVD. Cloned copies of operating systems can definitely have issues.

4. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Take it to the Apple Store, there's something off about those Geekbench numbers. My 2008 2.5 Core2Duo benches around 3400, so whoa!

5. BroadBlast thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the try guys....

yeah my 2007 macbook pro was geek benching at a respectable 3400 so I'm super annoyed I dropped $3 grand for a slower machine when I really need more speed.

Have to wait another 2 weeks for the busted original hard-drive to be replaced because Apple service is so poor. They want 20 days to replace a hard-disk i can replace in 20mins. This system is a clean install. I cloned it, to an external, tested it, then formatted and did a clean install to the external and got the same lousy speed with no apps but OSX and no devices plugged in. Still boots quick so its probably not the Hard-drive.

Always hard to negotiate with apple that it needs repairs when the system is actually working. Its a 3rd party app that says its retarded and I can't seem to get the boot to hardware tests off the disk to work... I'm holding down the "D" key but it boots to the desktop.

6. BroadBlast thread starter macrumors newbie

Found the system tests on the the 2nd installation disk. It runs and says the system is fine, every utility says its fine. So how can I return a the system when it technically checks ok but just runs painfully slow.

:(

7. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Look at Activity Monitor and see if something is sucking up CPU capacity. It's either that or something is wrong hardware-wise.

8. BroadBlast thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Naifam,

Definitely always rely on the activity monitor to see when something is draining my system... (usually the FlashPlugin for Safari chokes the entire computer). I am also running "istat menu" and while I run geekbench the CPUs graphs are bouncing up and down, not running solid 100% which is weird.

Spoke to Apple and they said I've tried everything worth trying and I need to bring it in for another slow service.

Worth mentioning Apple told me my hard disk was not available until the 20th... which makes it a full month to replace a component I could replace in 20mins mins myself. I was extremely polite when the applecare staff mentioned I had yet to purchase apple-care in a suggestive tone.... really had to bite my tongue and not tell them what I thought of their poor service standard.

9. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Yeah, that's pretty ridiculous. I think you should just take it to them and ask for a replacement. Something is clearly wrong with the computer, especially given that low of a geekbench score. It should be about 10,000.

10. elwood58 macrumors member

Something is surely wrong. My geekbench scores on my MBP 13" (with SSD) are as follows:

Total Score: 5633
    Processor Integer Performance: 4098
    Processor Floating Point: 7934
    Memory Performance: 4732
    memory bandwidth performance: 4761

11. BroadBlast thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem sorted. The machine is screaming along again with Apple's replacement SSD. The technician mentioned something about a compatibility issue with the Vertex 2 and 17" Macbook pros but didn't elaborate and since he spoke little english I couldn't clear it up.

Could have something to do with the TRIM support bug SSD users are experiencing that's mentioned on the OCZ forums. Apparently some SSD don't need TRIM but apple locks it on and it slows the drive down.

I also overlooked a firmware update for the Vertex 2.

Apple's replacement SSD arrived quicker than they had said and I tentatively had my Vertex 2 added as a 2nd drive to the opti-bay with an appropriate bracket. Before I event update the firmware I was now getting a solid 10k + on geekbench 32bit test and I updated the firmware. So I don't really know what was going on but its blazing now. Want the Vertex 3 now as I have a taste but might be gambling and will just be content to be working fast again.

12. mmcatee macrumors newbie

My results

I just ran geekbench on my 2001 MBP 17 and it scored a 10196, not realy sure if that is a good score or not but it is much higher than yours.
    I have
    8 GIG Ram
    250g GB Crucial 300 SSD
    500 GIG Momnetus XT
    I hope you get it straightened out

13. Glockcubed macrumors member

Glockcubed

I just got 11412 on Geekbench - is this good and how much better could it be?

14. SamyK macrumors newbie

Can anyone Please tell me, how to conduct this test.
    Thanks & Regards

15. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Geekbench: http://www.primatelabs.ca/geekbench/

It's just a synthetic benchmark that doesn't mean much. It doesn't reflect real-world usage for the most part, and results on the same machine can vary greatly.

16. MJNBGA macrumors regular

I didn't think that these things could go much higher than 10,000! I thank that that's awesome! :cool: