2011 MacBook Pro (4-core i7-2720 2.2GHz) vs 2008 Mac Pro (8-Core Xeon E5462 2.8GHz)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by nabiti, Mar 10, 2011.

1. nabiti macrumors newbie

OK,

So I was all set to get a used Mac Pro tower for audio production off ebay thinking it will easily outperform any laptop. I currently have an early 2008 MBP Core 2 Duo (3288) and on Mac Benchmarks a 2.8GHz early 2008 8-core gets almost triple the score (9105). No brainer right?

Well I've just checked Benchmark scores and the latest 17" MBP has a higher score than the old 8 core - 10045. Is i7 really that powerful? A 4-Core is faster than an 8-core Xeon??

Price wise a new MBP straight from Regent Street is not much more than a used Mac Pro, especially when I consider I would have to buy an additional cinema display for use with the tower, the price then is nearly the same.

Having a brand new laptop obviously wins, the only thing that could limit me there is the number of connections. My current MBP has all ports constantly connected plus there's a powered USB hub with three more devices connected on one of them. The other issue is HDD space and speed. I'd be going for 2TB at least with a tower, and would be limited to 750GB and 5400rpm with the laptop....

Hmmm... opinions peeps? :)

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Synthetic benchmarks, while nice, don't tell everything. That Mac Pro will trounce the MBP in anything that is heavily multi-threaded, and it also supports much greater expansion.

3. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

where as the MBP will triumph in mobility and battery life ;)

4. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

As the desktop doesn't have a battery in the sense that the MBP does, that one's obvious. :p

nabiti was primarily asking about performance though, and neither mobility or battery life directly impact that. ;)

5. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

The processor is only part of the story. I don't like the heat and the fan noise of trying to use a laptop as a "hard working" machine. I wouldn't get the 2.8GHz MP anyway. Get the 3.2GHz Xeon and above. It is faster or at least on par with the laptop proc and all the other case benefits.

6. nabiti thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I got neither of these, but instead a nice unused iMac with an i7 CPU that whoops the old 8-Core on benchmarks... plus it's around the same price as a used MP and there's a sexy LED 27" monitor for Logic Pro to stretch on and short videos to be played on in breaks (church videos).

7. sbaik macrumors newbie

Macbook pro is much much faster...but

I was in same dilemma i had the mac pro 2.8 2008 and then i decided to buy the new macbook pro 2.2 17"....i've tested so many things on both machines including photoshop, Aperture and final cut (sorry i didn't test any audio software)....and the macbook is really really fast it outperformed the macpro in all tests...the point is there r big differences in the results, sometimes its 10% faster and sometimes its 300% faster!! yeah 300! for example this was in adobe acrobat pro...generally speaking the macbook feels very responsive...I'll keep testing things and update u

8. beto2k7 macrumors 6502

you tested apps that don't scale to well among many CPU's. So IMO it's not a fair test.