2011 Macbook pro frequently 'not charging' and has never been near 7 hours battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jimmypopjr, Oct 25, 2011.

1. jimmypopjr macrumors regular

Hi MR people. I've had a new 2011 15" high-end MBP for about two months. I absolutely love this computer, but I'm not sure if what I'm getting is normal behavior.

It is frequently 'not charging' both in the OSX side and Windows. During CPU-intensive tasks it will do this, but also if I'm downloading a large amount of stuff from itunes. Right now I'm downloading some seasons of Dexter from itunes and if I hit 'pause all' the battery indicator will immediately switch over to charging. If I resume the downloading it goes back to 'not charging.' I've reset the PMU or whatever a couple times with no luck.

On top of that I've never gotten more than three hours of battery from this thing. I usually turn the brightness down to half, no bluetooth, and do light browsing or whatever. Nowhere near the 7 hours you're apparently supposed to be able to get.

I'd read on MR that the battery life for 2011 MBP's isn't anywhere near what Apple says it is, so I don't know if any of this is at all normal. Would absolutely love some input from you all.

2. psykick5 macrumors 6502

Sounds like your charger or wall might not be giving it enough voltage... stuff like this happens when you're trying to charge it from the car or in the plane.

3. jimmypopjr thread starter macrumors regular

The only adapters I've had this plugged into are two separate 15" power adapters, and one from the 24" cinema display.