2011 MacBookPro 2.3 i7 £1124.00 takes 16Gb ram, - Vs - Gorgeous skinny retina macpro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by draper3000, Jun 14, 2012.

1. draper3000 macrumors newbie

Which to buy, which to buy... aaah...which to buy..

MACBOOK PRO WITH RETINA - OR - MACBOOK PRO 2011 with high res display, 16Gb ram, SSD, (UPGRADE AT HOME) £1124.17 exc VAT + (Upgrade costs)

I've spent 48 hours working on which to buy and why to and why not... the 2011 Mac Pro is winning.

Either need to blow an extra £1000 and get the 15" Retina MacBook Pro - with 16Gb Ram (you can't upgrade later so you have to do it on purchase), and then ideally pay for the fastest processor so you can get the 512 Gb SSD. The lower processor only offers the 256Gb SSD. Still ok but you might miss the extra space one day.

Or.. current front runner.

In Apples reconditioned sales page, for £1124.17 (exc VAT).
    I can get a 15" MacBookPro (Feb 2011 quad core i7 2.3 Ghz), with the high res anti glare screen (resolution 1680 - 1050). Also although apple say macbook pros from Feb 2011 onwards only take up to 8Gb of ram, as long as it is a 2.2Ghz or up model they will accept 16Gb of ram, which might void you warranty but it works (I've read a tonne of forum comments confirming it). So I could buy this early 2011 model, upgrade it to 16Gb of ram for around £50 (I've check rough prices), either buy a 256Gb SSD straight away (Samsung SSD £139.00 on Amazon), or wait a year for the 512Gb SSD prices to drop a little more. I'd then have a very capable machine with one thunderbolt port for future peripherals, plus fire wire 800 for my current harddrives which I could use without the addition of thunderbolt adapters.... so on paper this wins, you can also remove the optical drive and fit another SSD in its palce with an adaptor for £15 and put the optical drive in an external case.... so it could be great.... its just not anywhere near as exciting.

Thoughts please...

Oh...I do lots of HD graphics work, HD after effects, some 3ds max, and make iphone apps so it will get put through its paces... my 5 year old white mac book is still clinging in there but its time for the big jump...

2. leez macrumors regular

leez

I'm looking at the same thing. 15" 2011 MacBook Pro, high res so I can add more RAM and switch to SSD at some point. Will be able to work on it and play BF3, FSX, World of Warcraft from time to time and have plenty of space left. Considering 17" as well...

Will skip this gen, maybe next as well and update later. For me it's an upgrade anyway, from Air Rev A with 64 SSD (replaced by me, 80GB failed on me...).

3. draper3000 thread starter macrumors newbie

just did it... I bought the 2011 model...will upgrade Ram straight away change HD to a SSD at some point.

got it via work so will lose the VAT... seems like a bargain with upgrade potential and a considerable upgrade over my current 2006 white macbook