2011 MBA scrabbling images in photoshop and safari.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by appleguy123, Jun 1, 2014.

1. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

Is this a hardware issue? It seems like after I reddit for awhile, large images will start to scramble in little tiles of precision sky viewed images. It's hard to describe and next time it happens I will photograph it. It also happens sometimes when editing images in photoshop.
    I have AppleCare, so if it is hardware, I have a few months to bring it in. The problem is that I can't reproduce the issue on command. I'm unsure if what to do.
    Is this normal for 2011 MacBook Airs, do you think it's an issue that needs to be fixed?

2. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 604

appleguy123

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yep... hardware issue. Probably bad GPU.

4. ajmicek macrumors newbie

Did this begin recently? My computer began to do that a week ago, I took the attached screenshot.

I also thought "hardware" until I looked at this thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/12531532#12531532

I got in touch with the user who started that thread and they said the scrabbling / garbling / weirdness went away after a few OS X updates. I suspect it is something like that. Let us know what you find out!

Attached Files:

5. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 604

appleguy123

It has been happening for awhile. AlSo, it's not my entire screen that messes up. Just the image I'm looking at.

6. jmazzamj macrumors regular

Get your eyes checked, then.

Just kidding: Do you mean that the issue only happens on the image/window you have at the front? Background isn't affected? I think it's hardware related but did you try a different version of photoshop?

7. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 604

appleguy123

It happens mainly in Safari.

8. jmazzamj macrumors regular

I don't know...It may be graphics related but as it's built in the CPU, have you tried running some processor intensive apps, like video encoding, for example?

9. micrors4racer macrumors 6502

Highly unlikley a hardware issue, it seems to be only happening to certain stuff that it is rendering. I would do a clean reinstall of OSX. If it was a hardware issue, the whole screen or a constant area of the screen will be affected. GPU issues could also be replicated because they are due to temps or simply go dead cold.