2011 MBP not picking up headphones or speakers until put to sleep and woken up again

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by klinic, Aug 22, 2011.

1. klinic macrumors member

This only started happening recently, but it's a real pain. Sometimes my MBP just stops recognising any external speakers or headphones, nothing fixes it but putting the laptop to sleep and then waking it up again. My iPhone earbuds have also stopped being able to control the volume, not a big loss though because they are terrible.

Is this a common problem? I noticed it only started appearing once Lion became available for sale... Maybe my MacBook is hinting at something seeing as I only have Snow Leopard.

2. kfergiez macrumors 6502

kfergiez

Check for updates, Apple released a fix for Lion for this exact problem.

3. klinic thread starter macrumors member

I, er, don't have lion. Hence the last sentence. No updates are available.

4. kfergiez macrumors 6502

kfergiez

Yep, totally missed that, sorry.
    Since it's still under warranty, I would take it in to get checked out. Can you replicate the problem consistently?

5. klinic thread starter macrumors member

Er, no, it just seems to happen on it's own. Sometimes when waking from sleep, sometimes just in the middle of doing something. It never does it when audio is already playing though. Only if it's been quiet for a while.

6. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

My 13" 2011 MBP has started not remembering I have an optical cord connected to the headphones jack when waking up from sleep after Apple released the fix that was supposed to fix optical output.

I never had any problems with optical out after first installing OSX Lion, but lately this happens to me a lot. I have to pull the cord out of the laptop and stick it back in for sound to come back. It's getting a bit irritating I have to say...

7. Dhelsdon, Aug 24, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2011

Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

I read something quite awhile back that people were having this issue, and getting a red light go off inside the connector. Simply using a toothpick and lightly pushing in the sensor inside the jack solved the problem, I'll see if I can find an article... Found it! skip to last page for most recent occurrence.

8. agelospe macrumors newbie

anyone have an idea about that ? only sleep and restart make jack wake and pram clean also, but permanent ! it is definitely an software problem.!
    I have immigrate from another mac maybe is that ?