Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the first beta of an upcoming iOS 10.2 update to public beta testers for testing purposes, just one over one week after releasing the first major iOS 10 update, iOS 10.1, and one day after providing the iOS 10.2 beta to developers.

Beta testers who have signed up for Apple's beta testing program will receive the iOS 10 beta update over-the-air after installing the proper certificate on their iOS device.

Those who want to be a part of Apple's beta testing program can sign up to participate through the beta testing website, which gives users access to both iOS and macOS Sierra betas. Betas are not stable and include many bugs, so they should be installed on a secondary device.

iOS 10.2, as a major 10.x update, includes several new features to enhance iOS 10. New emoji have been added, introducing Unicode 9 characters like clown face, drooling face, selfie, face palm, fox face, owl, shark, butterfly, avocado, pancakes, croissant, and more, plus many profession emoji available in both male and female genders.

Apple has also updated the artwork on many existing emoji, adding detail and making them look less cartoonish and more realistic. In addition to new emoji, the 10.2 update includes new wallpaper, new Music sorting options, a new "Celebrate" Screen Effect," an option for preserving camera settings, a Videos widget, and more.

Article Link: Apple Releases First iOS 10.2 Beta to Public Beta Testers With New Emoji, Wallpapers and More

Reactions: jjm3

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
Good to see Apple devoting so much ressources to emojis. Cause, you know, that's the most important thing users need right now....It's not like competitors are making Surface Studios and stuff like that...
I am sure that the team enabling Unicode Emoji is the EXACT SAME TEAM that would do the industrial design and engineering needed to develop a Surface Studio competitor.

procrastinasn

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
Good to see Apple devoting so much ressources to emojis. Cause, you know, that's the most important thing users need right now....It's not like competitors are making Surface Studios and stuff like that...

You're so right. Because:
1. software engineers know how to update hardware
2. many people don't use Emojis
3. many people can afford $3000 desktop machines

/s

Why do people constantly have to bring up the Surface Studio, regardless of the main post? It's such a niche product, and in this case, way more niche than Emoji.

Let me guess, you're probably not going to buy the Studio, right?

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
I'm not seeing the new wallpapers on my iPhone 6 Plus. Are these new wallpapers exclusive to certain devices? I'm guessing it's maybe only for 6S and above only?

DJLAXL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2014
UT
Why people bother to come on MR just to b*tch, complain, and just bring negativity is annoying as hell. Show them where it hurts....with your wallets. Don't like the products? Buy something else which offers more to your liking. Don't like software updates? Go to Android where your phone carrier dictates when you get updates.

**You all also do realize that the emojis are accepted/updated by a Unicode Consortium right? Apple just adds them to align with the Unicode 9....but I assume you'd complain and cry about it anyway***

JoCoWashington

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2016
New Mexico

You do realize that there are different departments within Apple, right?

Tim: "Listen up. I need every single department, including the car team, to focus their attention on creating a Surface Studio competitor."
Craig: "What about iOS bug fixes and a public betas?"
Tim: "That can wait, like the Airpods... Get to work!"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.