2012 Air charger sucks, keeps coming off

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
florida
I prefer the L shaped charger way better, every time I ever move this machine or my finger hits the charger area it comes right off....what a poor design to go back to, anyone else notice?

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Yup, its great. Performs its intended job of coming off easily rather than take your macbook to the floor. The L shape previous version had forgotten its purpose. Was more like a hook that wouldn't come off.

austinguy23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
Probably the first accurate article from the NYT in years:

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/30/one-of-apples-best-ideas-ever-made-worse/

noteple

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2011
T shape frayed.
L shape takes the laptop to the ground.

The new design is to charge the laptop, not tether you to the wall outlet as you wrestle with your keyboard.

calvy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2007
I don't get all these gripes. I've had my 2012 13" for a month now (or so) and not once had the magsafe slip out when it shouldn't have.

Brandon0448

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011
Anchorage, Alaska
I prefer the L shaped charger as well. I have never had a problem with the L shaped charger taking my mac with it when someone trips over the cord, it always popped right out. With the T shaped chargers some of the ways I hold my MBA it can get in the way and/or pop out. But with the L shaped charger I don't even really notice that it is plugged in.

asting

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012
If i'm using it on my lap on the couch or while sitting in bed the magsafe sometimes disconnects, but other than that I've had no issues either. It's my first mac, so the whole magsafe is new to me. seems to do what it's supposed to.

KamiQuazi

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2011
I don't get all these gripes. I've had my 2012 13" for a month now (or so) and not once had the magsafe slip out when it shouldn't have.
It maybe me but my MagSafe is hard to remove. It's my first Mac so I don't know.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
I've had it happen a few times and was glad it did. The cable got snagged behind something. Luckily it disconnected so I didn't damage the cable.

If i'm using it on my lap on the couch or while sitting in bed the magsafe sometimes disconnects, but other than that I've had no issues either.
I'd be more worried about the heat not being able to get out the back of the laptop when using it on your bed (sheets/pillow folding around the laptop blocking the air in-/outlets). Be careful with that as well as putting it on other soft items.

It maybe me but my MagSafe is hard to remove. It's my first Mac so I don't know.
To give you an idea: with the previous L-shaped connector you could lift up your notebook a couple of centimetres from the table and it didn't disconnect at all. The current design does not allow for this as it disconnects immediately.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
It's supposed to disconnect when you put force on it, that was the entire reason that they introduced Magsafe in the first place 6 years ago.

Not (just) because magnets are cool. :D

max pl

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2010
youre supposed to call it magsafe, not just "charger". people may confuse it with those ugly charger things on windows computers. yuck.

KamiQuazi

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2011
To give you an idea: with the previous L-shaped connector you could lift up your notebook a couple of centimetres from the table and it didn't disconnect at all. The current design does not allow for this as it disconnects immediately.
I still think my MagSafe requires more force to remove than it should. It's not a simple light pull and it disconnects. I have to pull it apart. If someone trips on the cable I fear the Air would still be connected to the cable. Maybe I should go to bestbuy and try their MagSafes?

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
florida
I still think my MagSafe requires more force to remove than it should. It's not a simple light pull and it disconnects. I have to pull it apart. If someone trips on the cable I fear the Air would still be connected to the cable. Maybe I should go to bestbuy and try their MagSafes?
I think what you folks are not realizing is on the new charger you can slightly move it up or down and it comes off very easily. In the case of when you have it on your lap and anything touches it, it comes off. Whereas on the older one up and down kept it tight side to side took it easily. Preference I suppose!! :apple::apple::apple::apple:

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
It's supposed to disconnect when you put force on it, that was the entire reason that they introduced Magsafe in the first place 6 years ago.

Not (just) because magnets are cool. :D
I would suggest the next time you're itching to reply, that you actually understand the complaint first.

Skoopman

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
I think what you folks are not realizing is on the new charger you can slightly move it up or down and it comes off very easily. In the case of when you have it on your lap and anything touches it, it comes off.
No, it doesn't. If yours comes of that easily, it's not magnetized enough. I have to "use some force" to get it off.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
I would suggest the next time you're itching to reply, that you actually understand the complaint first.
I do understand the complaint. It's been a complaint posted repeatedly since the Magsafe 2 machines were released.

Magsafe was designed to disconnect when force is applied to save the computer.

When that computer was a 2006 model Macbook Pro that weighed 5.6 pounds, that connection could be pretty strong and still do its job.

Now that connection has to do its job with an 11" Macbook Air that weighs just 2.3 pounds.

It's a compromise between nuisance disconnects and reliably disconnecting when it needs to to save the computer from flying off a table.