2012 iMac i7 vs. 2015 Retina i5 w 1TB/Fusion?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jazz1, Nov 8, 2015.

1. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

My spouse surprised me and told me to buy her an iMac to replace her old G4 Mirror Mac. I got it home and she told me to take then new one and she will take my old iMac.

Had I know this I would have bumped up the new one a little ;)

On the plus side I'm getting the nice screen and the new trackpad and keyboard. But am giving up performance?

2. fa8362 macrumors 65816

Since you have both, you're in a better position to know if you're giving up performance for what you do than anyone else. Run some trials. It really depends on what you do with the computer.

3. Cody1992 macrumors member

It really depends on the specs you ordered but chances are the 2015 is incrementally better. It also comes with new peripherals, an improved display (again) and faster SSD storage. Seriously though, if you maxed out the graphics card on the 2012 and say you got the m380 this time around, its entirely possible the 2012 still has the stronger GPU.

4. double329 macrumors 6502

I don't own previous version of iMac. I own late 2013 rMBP 15 i7/16GB/512GB. I just recently purchased late 2015 iMac 27 i5/8GB/2TB Fusion. The performance differences between i7(rMBP) vs. i5(iMac) to me is not really noticeable for day to day usage. If I would sit down and do comparison between the two, I might see slight different. Otherwise, I don't. especially with page, numbers, etc... they are almost identical as far as launching the app. I am sure for those who has huge Lightroom Catalog or Premiere 4K stuff will see some different. I am very happy with my iMac purchase in term of performance and cost.

5. whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

I'm not a big benchmarks guy, but you can find results here...

http://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks

My guess is the new system is a bit faster than your old one (I also have a late 2012 i7). The new system will also have some good features like better support for external displays (4k, ultra wide, etc), faster ports (eg. TB2), and other future-proofness. And yeah, disk reads and writes are probably 2x faster, and the RAM is faster as well. Overall, it's a pretty nice bump.

You may get a small hit when you're doing something that could leverage hyper threading... say you're running Handbrake in the background, while doing other tasks. In that situation, your old i7 might do a more efficient job of orchestrating resources. But otherwise, you may have a slightly snappier feeling system?

6. jazz1 thread starter macrumors 65816

jazz1

Thanks all! I just ordered a RAM upgrade from OWC as the new computer only came with 8 gigs. My 2012 had 24 gigs.