2012 Mac mini and QNIX QX2710 Evolution II 27" LED Monitor

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by MacPC, Nov 22, 2013.

1. MacPC, Nov 22, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2013

MacPC macrumors regular

Sep 25, 2006

I have never ever have so much trouble connecting a monitor to a Mac before.

I was so excited when I go this monitor today.
    QNIX QX2710 Evolution II 27" LED Monitor

But when I hook in up to the mini, I simply couldn't get it to work. This mini has two video out ports--thunderbolt and HDMI, the monitor has only one input port--DVI D (dual-link) I tried it on the thunderbolt port using the Apple Apple to HDMI cable with a DVI D adaptor, that didn't work. Then I tried it on the HDMI port using a HDMI cable with the DVI D adaptor, it didn't work either. :(

As far as I know, the mini does support 2560x1440 video, am I wrong? At the point I have no idea what the issue is. Is it the mini? Is it because this monitor supports only Windows? Or is it the cable?
  2. mrhick01 macrumors 6502

Sep 22, 2008
    Sounds like you need a dual-link DVI cable, otherwise the best that you can do is 1920 x 1200.
  3. COrocket macrumors 6502

Dec 9, 2012
    Basically, the highest resolution you can get out of the HDMI port on the mini is 1920x1200. The included adapter will only drive a single link DVI display.

The only way to get dual link DVI out of a mini is to use this adapter http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MB571Z-DisplayPort-Dual-Link-Adapter/dp/B001IF252C You can find Monoprice brand adapters for a little cheaper. Then use a regular dual link DVI cable.
  4. MacPC thread starter macrumors regular

Sep 25, 2006
    Hi thanks all for the replies.

I spent an additional $100.00 on an Apple Thunderbolt/mini display to DVI-D (dual Link) adaptor, and it works! :)

BTW, this little unknown Korean brand is amazing, it looks GREAT! :)