2012 MacBook Pro - can i swap displays and use one from retina?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joecool99, Jun 19, 2012.

1. joecool99 Suspended

joecool99

i need all the ports as the standard 2012 model has, but is it possible to swap displays from retina model? does it have same connectors ?

2. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

I doubt it.

3. ejisfun macrumors regular

No. The retina display is completely built into the top shell of the RMBP. iFixit ended up breaking it when they tried removing it from the aluminum.

4. joecool99 thread starter Suspended

joecool99

5. skiffx macrumors 6502a

even if its possible...it would cost as much as probably the difference you'd need to pay if you were to sell your '12 model and buy the new rMBP

6. albert1028 macrumors 6502

If you are asking, most likely you will not be able to hack it.

The connectors are most likely different as well as the hinge design. That's not even taking into account the graphics card and the wiring schematics to the retina. (Who knows if the wiring schematics are different from the macbook pro). Another would be the availability to getting your hands on the entire back section.

If you are willing to experiment and am willing to spend as much money as it costs to get a retina MBR, then it may be worth it. But i doubt it's worth it to those unless they are enthusiasts willing to change on the engineering challenge involved in hacking it together.

7. Ljohnson72 macrumors 6502a

Ljohnson72

It's not even going to fit; the RMBP isn't as wide as the regular MBP.

8. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

It will look odd but if the hinge is the same size it may just work.
    Theoretically there should be some connector for connecting the display. No reason why that one should be any different. Though the location on the logic board might be somewhere else and the cable just won't be long enough.