2012 mbp 13 i7 or 2012 mbp 15 base w/8 gb of ram

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Itzmemark, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Itzmemark macrumors member

Which would be better for the usual messing around Internet, word processing, some picture editing and video editing (gopro hd) must be able to take around with me do I can use it for presentations your advice is greatly appreciated

Also watching movies on the road trips

2. Black.Infinity macrumors 6502

Black.Infinity

If its going to be your main computer and you dont mind spending money on retina, why not it is a great laptop.
    However even mbp 13 is capable to do your tasks.

3. Itzmemark thread starter macrumors member

I do not want the retina I still need my FireWire and Ethernet I was thinking of the not retina 1799 one

4. DevWork macrumors newbie

The 2012 Macbook Pros do not have firewire ports, instead thunderbolt ports which have a limited range of devices that can connect to it. The 15 inch base Macbook Pro with 8gb is 1,899 dollars not 1,799 dollars. The current generation Macbook Air would be your best bet if you tend to travel with your laptop and will be able to handle all you video and photo editing needs. Just my 2 cents.

5. Itzmemark thread starter macrumors member

Thanx for the reply but I know for a fact the 2012 have FireWire as I bought the 13inch last night and it connected to my FireWire external hd I was just thinking the 15inch with the quad core and 12 inches with higher resolution would be better hence I'm coming from a 15in with the same resolution

6. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

The 13 inch wins on portability and cost. The 15 inch wins on everything else. The choice is really up to you. You are correct, both machines have USB3, FW800, and Thunderbolt ports & an ethernet port. I own the 13" 2009 MBP and I like it a lot... but choosing between the 13 and 15 inch... there is really no wrong choice.

7. Itzmemark thread starter macrumors member

Thanx for the help I went to the macstore today they made me wait buy the new retina I played with it while waiting and ended up buying it