2012 MBPr and 4k monitor... kinda

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jonpeter, Apr 6, 2015.

1. jonpeter macrumors member

So, as the title explains, I have a 2012 Macbook Pro retina 15" model with the 1gb 650 card. I am looking for a new monitor for real estate and retina readability.

Now, the part that separates this question (to my knowledge) from others would be for the following reason. I would like to buy a 4k monitor, something like the Samsung U28D590D, but only use it in 1080P HiDPi mode. Essentially, running this 4k monitor in a retina quality screen resolution.

Would my laptop be able to handle this 1080 HiDPi at 60Hz (running yosemite btw)... without any extra video components or software?
    Thoughts/suggestions?

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

Well, not according to Apple. But we all know how unrealiable their specifications can be.

I don't imagine there'd be any difference in the requirements for running 4K at native resolution and in HiDPI mode. But I trust others will correct me here if I'm completely off base.

3. venom600 macrumors 6502a

If you don't want to modify anything, then you are stuck with whatever the Apple official support page says. You may get 30hz, but I doubt it.