2012 Presidential Debates: Third Debate

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Blue Velvet, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

A poor stylistic performance by the President in the first debate has left an opening for Mitt Romney. Tuesday’s debate is in the townhall meeting format, with questions from the audience.

Although the two campaigns won’t agree on much, there is one thing they seem to currently agree on: limiting the role of the moderator.

Where Hofstra University, Hempstead, New York
    When Tuesday night, 16 October, 9-10:30pm Eastern
    Moderator Candy Crowley (CNN Chief Political Correspondent)
    Topic Foreign and domestic policy
    Coverage All the networks

The two previous debate threads
    • 2012 Presidential Debates: First Debate
    • 2012 Presidential Debates: Second Debate (Biden/Ryan)

Some Google news headlines

• Obama team vows president will have aggressive debate, puts Bain on the table
    • No Drama Obama Needs a Shake-Up in Romney Debate Rematch
    • Town-hall format could pose challenge for Romney
    • Obama, Romney focus intently on upcoming debate​

I give way to the honorable ladies and gentlemen of MacRumors...

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I dislike Town Hall formats for debates. Those are better suited to a single politician holding office and explaining an issue to a group of citizens. The 1st and VP debate with a strong moderator is the best format for dueling politicians.

3. gibbz macrumors 68030

I would enjoy a town hall debate if it were actually a town hall debate. Instead, we will get carefully screened people who are asking questions that sound like they came straight from a moderator's script anyway.

4. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

No comment yet, as I'm getting the SO and kids out the door for the morning. But I wanted to say thank you to BV for putting these threads together. It's nice to have a single place to discuss this than 45 different threads on the same matter.

Thanks, BV!

BL.

5. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

I disagree. It's good to have a variety of formats. With a townhall, not only are the candidates more likely to be revealed and caught off-balance by a question from a member of the public, you can see how they relate to them as well.

In the first debate, although the topic was domestic policy, the exclusive focus on economics left out all kinds of topics, from climate change to immigration... and that was due to the moderator's focus, a kind of Beltway inside baseball game, not the concerns of citizens.

With George H. Bush looking at his watch and his rather dry answer to a question about the deficit, this is the moment that most political commentators seem to agree on when Bill Clinton sealed the '92 election.

Last election, it was the townhall debate where John McCain also blurted out 'that one', when referring to Obama, and at times wandered the stage, undermining himself by appearing as a cranky old man. So, I think we'll see something revealing about both candidates.

No probs. I like reading them later, just for laughs. ;)

6. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Style issues

I think both candidates will have style issues that may be exposed during this debate format. Romney's talking over a member of the public and ignoring the question like he did the moderator in debate no. 1 may make him appear condescending, elite, etc. Romney's stiffness and CEO mentality are aspects of his personality that may make this type of format challenging for him. On the other hand, this could be an opportunity for him to really reverse that perception.

Obama feeds off friendly crowds, adulation and seems to relish the spotlight. In a town hall, he won't have any of those things (at least to himself). If he gets flustered or tries to turn every question into an attack on Romney's past, he could easily be seen as bitter, mean and even desperate. That being said, Obama's natural people skills are superior to Romney's so if he can figure out how to use that advantage while explaining his positions and responding to what Romney actually says (not just Romney's positions as you interpreted them in debate prep), he should have a better result.

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Do they actually improve with age, in the manner a fine whine does? :D

8. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Very interesting news about both campaigns complaining about the Candy's role for this debate. I hope she gives them both heck. Most of the time, these audience questions never ask the questions I want, or in the way I would want. And the answers tend to be rambling and vague. So I am really hoping that Candy does focus the candidates and not accept unanswered questions or lies from them.

9. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I disagree with the notion of natural people skills (or really, natural skills period). If Obama possesses superior people skills it is either because he has far more experience working with people or far more experience being coached to work with people. At the end of the day that may be a very important distinction that either speaks to his genuinity, or the quality of his handlers.

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

In the first debate, Obama sounded as if he was reading from a policy brief. He was not only halting and awkward in delivery, he didn't boil down complex details into easily understood concepts that the public could grasp and get behind.

In this next debate, I don't need to see Obama get angry or aggressive, I just want him to simplify his message so it's something people can connect to and to convey that message with conviction.

11. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

To be fair, I didn't watch the first debate, as it started at 2-3am here in London... but what I did catch up on was the news and pundit fallout, which will often amplify the prevailing narrative.

Through insomnia, however, I did see the Biden/Ryan debate and it was worth being awake for, if only to see a complete trouncing. If all you're left with at the end of the show, is arguing about tone, then you've lost, especially when supposed Wonk-Master Ryan was supposed to take Gaffe-Meister Biden to the cleaners.

Anyway, I'm not sure how much of tomorrow's debate I'll see or whether I'll watch clips or the full thing later.

On a side note: I know that there are quite a few math geeks on MacRumors. Without doubt, the best two sites for polling analysis are at FiveThirtyEight and Sam Wang over at the Princeton Election Consortium.

Nate Silver currently has Obama at about 63% chance of winning, Sam Wang has him at 84%. Mostly due to the electoral college advantage. Without Ohio, Mitt Romney faces a difficult, but not impossible, task. But anyone who wants to take issue, don't argue with me, go over there and argue with their math.

12. astrorider macrumors 6502

I hope you're right and the reports of a more "aggressive" Obama don't include laughing or commenting while Romney is talking. Both candidates need to keep this presidential, and keep this a debate about ideas for the country not silencing your opponent.

13. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I honestly don't know what to expect tomorrow night, except that Obama will not repeat his first performance.

Romney doesn't seem very agile speaking outside of his standard talking points. If either Crowley or a member of the audience challenges him on any point and he doesn't have a good answer, things could get ugly for Mitt.

14. BladesOfSteel macrumors regular

BladesOfSteel

Agreed.

Although it could get equally as bad for Obama for the same reason...

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I do. A nightmare getting home from work as Hofstra is about 2 miles from my house and street closures will be crazy. :D

16. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

All day yesterday, all I saw were comments about Crowley's weight and how it looks like she's on her way to Golden Corral or that she has no business pressing for answers. I say go Candy! Screw the debate "rules" and do what you need to do to pry real answers out of them! It doesn't seem like she's going to let herself be pushed around and I think she'll do great.

17. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

I have mixed feelings about this, but might be a good thing. If memory serves me this is not common for a Town Hall, and probably the reason both camps don't like or want it. Or maybe both sides think the moderator has an agenda. Who knows. I am interested to see how it goes in this format however. I do not see Obama doing as bad as he did in the 1st debate, nor Romney doing as well.

18. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Yeah, that's class. :mad:

19. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

Obama is pwning Romney

This is fantastic. Romney has NO answers. He just keeps saying I know what to do. Obama is giving actual answers with proof. I think this might go to fisticuffs.

20. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I pretty much agree, but there already is a debate thread.

Edit: ...as the mods have already pointed out... :D

21. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

Romney just nodded yes when Obama said he didn't have an answer for where the money was going to come from

22. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

Both are pretty disappointing. Rude is the best word I can come up with.

23. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Romney is getting lost right now. Just falling back on talking points. Called our by Obama and Crowley about his $5T numbers, he looked sheepish, and then got defensive and basically said, "Trust me."

Not to mention that that's twice now that Romney has rudely talked right over Crowley. Jerk.

24. 184550 Guest

Tsk, tsk. It's only considered rude if Obama or Biden do it.

25. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

Romney: Oh yes I learned about discrimination once... as a an extremely powerful white male employer I saw it often... gosh I even commented on it once