2012 Presidential Debates: Third Debate

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Blue Velvet, Oct 15, 2012.

1. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

By all means, please point to the part in that post your replied to where it looked like I was wearing blue glasses. You won't find anything. Although your reply was very funny and I enjoyed it. But I don't like red/blue 3D. You might like that old tech, but I have moved on to passive glasses. :D

Don't people average Obama's record too? But let's just say it really was 28th, that isn't such a great number.

And that's why people had to leave the state? Hmmmmm Sounds like there were not enough workplaces. Something, oh..I don't know...maybe a GOVERNOR could have helped out with.

It's really telling (and embarrassing) when your home state does not want to vote for you. The state he was associated with before (Michigan) does not want to vote for him, the State where he has his headquarters and was Governor (MA) does not want to vote for him. And of course the state where he has the house he wants to put a car elevator in (CA) does not want him either. He will win Utah, but that isn't a good track record when so many other states, who should know him best, do not want to vote for him. Especially in MA's case where they have voted for him before!!

I've been following Candy for MANY years on CNN. And during that extensive amount of time where I have watched countless interviews, not ONCE did I get a sense of if she is liberal or conservative. If I can't tell after all that time, how can you? You are just whining like all the other conservatives who always whine when their candidate does bad. They can never admit it is their candidate's fault. It always has to be someone else's.

2. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

"binders full of women" will save this country .

going viral

3. astrorider macrumors 6502

Sure. Sorry, but if you need to average job creation over 4 years to make a net improvement from 50th to 28th appear poor, you must not have much of a case to make.
    http://www.factcheck.org/2012/06/obama-twists-romneys-economic-record/

4. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Some clarification: Mitt did stamp 844 vetoes, but one should consider that the governor in Massachusetts has the line-item rule, as do governors in quite a few other states, but the US president does not. This is a pretty significant distinction, because most legislation is passed as a kielbasa of many things, involving trade-offs and compromises. Often, for every ten or twenty vetoes from a governor, the president can stamp just one. How Mitt would handle this from the oval office is mind-numbing to imagine if, as is likely, the congress were not to his liking.

The actual over-ride figure was 707, or about 84% (though for 2006, it was 100%). Even his own Rs were getting fed up with Mitt's shennanigans This seems to be exactly in line with the "party of NO", and we have all seen how effective and valuable that strategy has been.

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

From your source ...

High praise, indeed.

6. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

What republican forced you to go to church? No one in any party is forcing you to buy a bible. Stop with that nonsense

7. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

har har

8. APlotdevice, Oct 17, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

No, but what they are doing is pushing religiously motivated legislation and agendas. Unless you think there is some secular reason for trying to ban gay marriage and limit access to contraceptives?

9. astrorider macrumors 6502

With any public official, Romney included, they have a record of accomplishments and disappointments, and the things that didn't go so well are easy targets for your opponent.

In this case, rather than the lie of "fell to 47th in job creation", which is calculating by averaging over his four years in office, it improved from 50th to 28th. It says a lot more about those distorting the record than it does about Romney.

10. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Thanks. That was what I was looking for. So if one takes the jobs from all 4 years his state was ranked 47th, but if we look at just the last year he was in charge, it's 28th for that year. Looks like he did an alright "job" then!

11. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

I've had a Chevy Malibu for 11 years now and still going strong. I would buy another Chevy Malibu because of this. I'm not impressed with the other auto makers cars. I have no dream of owning a BMW, Toyota, Honda or any other brand.

The car I will miss the much is the Grand Am, had a '02 for awhile (long story) and loved it.

So I am a person that would buy again from GM.

Hugh

12. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Here we kind of run into a neo-liberal conundrum. It appears that Romney is one of those lasseiz faireys, so to speak: his ethos is essentially to get out of the way and let the marketplace take care of itself. So if he actually did anything about the economy, he was being hypocritical, and if he did nothing, how can you credit him with the state of the state's economy? (refer also to this page, which seems to suggest that the legislature did almost all of the work and Romney just got in their way or spent most of the year out of state).

13. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

You're also right. You could say that his method of job creation is not doing anything about it... which is also a valid strategy. At that level there are a lot of people involved in the creation of jobs. Mostly I was trying to pin down the difference between being 47th in the nation and 28th in the nation. Both are valid numbers but I believe the 28th to be more accurate for the point that is trying to be brought across. While Romney was in office the job market in his state improved. It could also mean that other states had horrible governors. It's probably a combination of a lot of things. I doubt he's fully responsible unless he has a magic job creation hat. But I think saying the state was 47th at his leave is disingenuous. Now you guys can argue if he actually *did* anything or he just got dealt a lucky hand.

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Actually, according to the source that you quoted, Massachusett's job growth was 47th for the whole of his [Romney's] four-year tenure.

Am I misunderstanding what the term "the whole" means?

15. dopey220 macrumors 6502

dopey220

My candidate was arrested outside the university, so I didn't see much point in watching the rest.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I presume it means the average.

Good for Romney.

17. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

I for one was not a big fan of the bailouts. But must say I agree with some of your statement here. I have never understood the fascination with foreign cars. I am a little older, so have owned a few cars in my day, and must say I was never a big GM fan, however, my Malibu and my Cavalier were two of the most reliable cars I have ever owned. I currently own a foreign car, but admit that domestics get a bad rap. They look better, have been more reliable for me, and on the ones I owned more power for the HP rating as well as for the gas mileage I was getting. I have gone away from Japanese cars because most of them look like rentals these days.

Reliability by automaker by my own experience. starting with best 1st:

GM
    Ford
    Mazda
    Dodge
    Isuzu
    Toyota -By far the worst car I have ever owned.

But with all this said...off topic I know.....I do not agree with bailouts. We succeed and fail by our own actions. Do I get a bailout when things are tough. Do small businesses get a bailout. No they go under or find another way to survive.

Now to cash for clunkers. That hurt the poor big time. It took so many used cars off the lots that demand outweighed supply driving prices up on used cars. Did this hurt the rich, no it hurt the poor. I also spoke with a guy at the shop who was fixing my car at a dealership, and he informed me that Mazda had done well by them because they took many cars in the program, and were only paid for 3. Mazda reimbursed the dealers for their losses. Where did all that money go?

I am done with my rant.

18. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

Nice try. I dont believe that you misread my statement that badly

19. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

That would be great! But she's on Fox News, so god forbid ;)

20. vega07 macrumors 65816

Megyn Kelly would be a horrible moderator. From the videos I've seen of her, she raises her voice and talks over her guests.

21. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

I'm not saying that the Fed should or shouldn't have bailed them out. All I know if GM went under, the job that my father just got hired for at that time would have had to let him go. 80% of their business comes from GM. :/

Hugh