2012 quad core i7 MBP non retina 15". Stick with it with upgrades? 2008 Unibody ssd query.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jetsam1, Nov 1, 2016.

1. jetsam1 macrumors newbie

Hello,

It's time to think about computers again (every four years or so).

About to be able to afford essentially whatever I want but wondering whether I should upgrade my 2.6 i7 quad core 15" with 16 gig RAM and an ssd and do you think it should do another 3 years or so until we see which way Apple go? It's basically a desktop replacement and after the whole retina vs. matt screen debate I went for matt and have been very happy with it. Basically Lightroom photo editing and the general usage. Might go desktop potentially when this is up for replacement.

My 2008 unibody 13" is dying and I need a portable and a second computer for the house. This was the second rung up in the range. I was wondering if I could swap the SSD (Samsung EVO 256gb) into a 2012 13" that is still on the UK refurb store as a cheap stop gap? That would mean I go straight back into all the programs etc I like. The ssd would have El Capitan on it.

The 2008 was my go everywhere laptop and has been hammered as I buy to use. Was running nicely with the ssd and 8 gb RAM until a month or so ago (think the gpu or logic board is on the way out).

Other option is bite the bullet and go for the new base 13". Been going through WIndows options and it all gets expensive quite quickly! Looking at Lenovo Thinkpad T460p specifically. Not sure about the Dells. Also lots of scare stories about Windows 10 and keyloggers and general spy ware etc which I find a bit creepy....... Only problem I live in rural Hungary and I prefer UK sourced kit as there is more choice and the higher spec stuff is more likely to be in stock.

I keep computers until they die. But, a stop gap solution is my aim at the moment as I would like to stay OSX but want to give it a few years to see how the industry goes before committing to another high end machine.

Cheers!

2. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Do it.

I have the machine with the same specs (SSD & RAM upgrade). Works fine and records AUs/DI audio smooth as butter through LPX. My brother has the same laptop and it's fine for the same thing. A producer I know has the same laptop... and that's fine too! He threw in a data doubler.

Honestly the main concern would be potential graphics failure down the line. But in terms of the system spec, the 2012 quad i7 is still fairly capable compared to later models. In fact it's more powerful than the quad i7 shipping in the Early 2013 entry-level Retina.

Hardware wise, she's an absolute trooper and reliable as a wood burning stove. I can easily see mine lasting another 3 years, MLB failure aside.

3. jetsam1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm, 16gb RAM and a 2Tb Hard Drive.... Might be worth it. We'll see where we are in a few years time.

I believe the gpu can be disabled and it can just run on the integrated graphics? Which is probably enough for me.

It's the second computer that is confusing me. Stay with Apple or try Windows again.