2012 refurb MacBook Air 13" or 2013 Haswell MacBook Air 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by IrtazaSafi, Jul 9, 2013.

1. IrtazaSafi macrumors newbie

Hi.

I'm an engineering student and I'm on 5 year old Pentium Dual core lenovo Laptop. The machine is built like a tank by the way and still usable but it lags and is very slow by today's standards. It has a pathetic 60 minute battery life and more importantly,I can't really run MATLAB well on this device. Windows is also frustrating with it's lag and stuff so I am looking towards a Mac.

Now ,Apple has a really good deal on the refurbished 2012 Macbook air 13 inch (i5 version) on it's website at about 750 dollars. I was wondering if I should get that one instead of the new one which costs around 1100 dollars ? How's the battery life and performance on the 2012 model ? Bear in mind that i'm coming from a laptop with an hour or so of battery life so won't the 2012 model be a big enough upgrade for me ?

Furthermore, will the processing on the macbook air be good enough to handle MATLAB ? Also ,my lenovo has lasted me a good 5 years or so and it would be a shame if my new mac breaks down after 2 years. Are you confident that a Mac will last as long as or last longer than my current machine ?

Are refurbished Macs safe to buy ?

Many Thanks !

2. alexrmc92 macrumors regular

The battery life will be a few hours less while doing small tasks, maybe and hour less when doing intensive tasks. Keep in mind the 2013 only last 2-3 hours when CPU and GPU load are high. The CPU from 2012 performance wise is mostly the same as the 2013, the 2013 excels is disk performance by quite a bit because it has a PCIe SSD. It also excels in memory speed and graphics processing.

I dont know how power intensive MATLAB is, but if your using 80% or more of the CPU you probably wont see more than two hours out of it.

3. techguy20 macrumors 6502

I'd get the 2013 one: higher resale value, better/faster SSD, faster processor, much improved battery life.

Don't forget that you are also entitled to Apple's education pricing and also receive a $100 iTunes card along with your purchase per the Back to School promotion. You can sell this for $80+ on eBay if you don't need it.

4. IrtazaSafi thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm in Pakistan so I doubt I get that educational discount :(.I'm going to ask a friend who's visiting the US to get me one.

5. SusanK macrumors 68000

I think the SSD on that Mac is only 64g if that matters.

6. Stetrain macrumors 68040