2012 Republican Presidential Nominee

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sky Blue, Nov 11, 2010.

?

Who will win Republican Nominee for President?

1. Mitt Romney

9 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. Sarah Palin

9 vote(s)
    21.4%
  3. Tim Pawlenty

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  4. Mike Huckabee

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. Newt Gingrich

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Jeb Bush

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  7. Ron Paul

7 vote(s)
    16.7%
  8. Bobby Jindal

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  9. Marco Rubio

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  10. Other

11 vote(s)
    26.2%
  1. Sky Blue, Nov 11, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2010

Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Yes, it's only been a week since the midterm elections but over the next couple of months Republican candidates will through their names into the ring to run for President.

Politco and NBC News will co-sponsor the first Republican presidential debate "during the spring of 2011,". The debate will be held at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley, CA.

So who do you think will win the nomination?
    Who would you like to win?
    and can they beat Obama in the Presidential election?

Here's some candidates to consider:

Mitt Romney: Former Gov. of MA
    Sarah Palin: Former Gov. of Alaska, Vice Presidential Nominee 2008
    Tim Pawlenty: Current Governor of Minnesota
    Mike Huckabee: Former Governor of Arkansas
    Newt Gingrich: Former Speaker of the House of Representatives
    John Thune: Current United States Senator, South Dakota
    Mitch Daniels: Current Governor of Indiana
    Jeb Bush: Former Governor of Florida, younger brother of former President George W. Bush
    Paul Ryan: Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Wisconsin's 1st district
    Ron Paul: Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Texas's 14th district
    Bobby Jindal: Current Governor of Louisiana
    Marco Rubio: United States Senator-elect, Florida.
    Jim DeMint: United States Senator, South Carolina
    Chris Christie: Current Gov. of NJ

any others?

2. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

3. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

I'm surprised Mitch Daniels wasn't listed. He's been getting a lot of exposure lately and Repubs talk about him all the time.

4. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

If the primaries were today I think Huckabee would take it, with Romney a not-too-close second.

In reality I think we're getting too far ahead of ourselves. Many of these potential candidates are probably already weighing their options, but as far as worrying about it myself it's too soon.

6. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

HaHa I put Ron Paul, strictly because he is the one out of the list I like. I think someone else is going to pop up though.

7. Lyle, Nov 11, 2010

Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I think Haley Barbour (Governor of MS) usually appears in these lists, although he wouldn't be my first pick.

Given those choices and what I know about them, Romney would be my personal preference to win. And yes, if the economy doesn't improve considerably over the next two years, I think he'd have a strong chance of beating Obama.

I honestly don't have an opinion about who I "think" will win. Palin gets a lot of press, obviously, but I don't believe that will translate into votes come nomination time. There are a lot of us Republicans who are not impressed with her at all.

8. fivepoint, Nov 11, 2010

fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Which ever Neo-Con gets the nomination, I hope they select someone like Ron Paul or Jim Demint as the VP as a nod to the Tea Party. I wish he could get nominated for POTUS candidate, I'll sure be caucusing for him, but I don't know if it's a possibility.

Right now, I don't think anyone has a better chance of clinching the nomination than Sarah Palin, but I think she'll struggle in the debates, and I think she might be less capable than others of defeating Obama. Then again, in politics, a LOT can happen in 2 years.

Chris Christie, Jim Demint, and Haley Barbour should be on this list.

One more thing, Mitt Romney doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning his party's nomination. He's easily the biggest liberal in this bunch. With as mad as the conservatives in this country are right now regarding Healthcare, they sure as heck won't be voting for a guy who created the same thing in his state. This was a big reason he got crushed in Iowa against expectations to the contrary.

9. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Not going to happen.

Also not going to happen.

I'm not saying that's a good thing or a bad thing, more of an "I'll eat my hat" if Ron Paul shows up on the Republican ticket in 2012. :D

10. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

DeMint and Perry look like the right type to capture the mood of the current Republican Party.

11. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Sure would be entertaining though! We'd actually have an OPTION to choose from, they would be significantly contrasting ideas rather than the same old 'I'd spend a lot' vs. 'I'd spend a little bit less' or 'I'd bring a few troops home' vs. 'I'd bring a few more troops home' debates.

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Rumor mill here is Rick Perry may throw his hat in. I do not want that slim ball in office.

13. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

This fellow Texan would actually be interested in it.

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Please let it be Sarah Palin.

Oh please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please.

Oh, and Joe the Plumber can be her running mate.

Please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please.

15. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I do not want that. I would honestly want a real canidated that would not just give Obama the office on a silver platter. I would rather seem him at least work for it.

16. Sky Blue thread starter Guest

Sky Blue

Some polling from PPP. More at:
    http://publicpolicypolling.blogspot.com/2010/11/some-good-signs-for-palin.html

If Palin runs, looks like it could be between her and Romney.

Run Sarah Run!

17. TSE macrumors 68030

If Ron Paul ends up running as either a President or Vice President, I will eat my shorts.

That would be the day. But I doubt he would accept to be Vice President for a Neo Con just to get the tea partier's votes.

18. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Jeb Bush, we need all the Bushes to go through and be Presidents :D

19. 184550 Guest

I got this phone call from the RNC about three days ago asking for my selection for president in 2012. Their choices were Romney, Palin, Huckabee, Gringrich and Obama. In that scenario, I said I'd vote for Obama again.

Out of the choices above, Bobby Jindal.

I'd prefer it if Bloomberg ran but there's no way he'll run against Obama.

20. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

21. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Ron Paul is older than McCain, and people thought McCain was too old in 2008.

22. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Though I'd file this under the "not going to happen" category - I think Jon Huntsman would work well on the GOP ticket.

Before becoming an ambassador to China, he was one of the most popular governors (of Utah) - with both Republicans and Democrats.

His stint as ambassador to China could also be seen as a practical thing to have on one's resume.

Still, I don't see the GOP being so reasonable.

23. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

But can he be manipulated??? :rolleyes:

24. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Mitt, though I can't stand him, has name recognition and has stayed out of any major scandals.

Palin, while improved and gaining some respectability and connections, may not be ready for such a big job. Having quit as Governor may haunt her. The more senior GOP crowd will take her out come debate time in 2012.

Pawlenty? Who?

Huckabee, while a nice guy, can't get by on just the religious angle. Robertson showed us that.

Gingrich would be my second choice as a possibility. After all, he successfully put the contract on America and he's an intelligent orator.

Thune? Again, who? Daniels? Also too unknown.

Bush, while the good son, may have a last name that has been tarnished by his brother.

Ryan? Again, obscure.

Ron Paul? He has some good ideas but does not march in step with all the ideas of the GOP. He's too Tea Party/third party for America and came out as the nearly undisputed voice in its first convention. That's when the more standard GOP crowd came in and raided the Tea Party and make them another Republican lobbyist.

Jindal? He could be a force but I expect him more in 2016 if the economy is in shambles then. I could see him a a strong VP candidate. He could come in and be, in a way, a candidate for change the way Obama did so successfully in 2008.

Rubio? He's going to rule a big state but it's already November, 2010 so he may have to wait in line.

DeMint and Christie? Too small time like Huckabee and Paul were in 2008.

25. 63dot, Nov 12, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2010

63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I think the two are the most popular, perhaps. But when it comes to running a nation, which Republican do you think is more experienced and intelligent? Like Lyle mentioned above, if the economy doesn't improve, Romney has a good chance of winning. Romney ran a strong presidential campaign in 2008 and Palin was only put in as an unknown add-on to McCain which ultimately hurt his ticket.

Palin can't hold her own in a debate, heck, she couldn't even memorize the name of her opponent Biden who she called Obiden. It would be high comedy to see Palin go head to head with Oromney in the 2012 Republican primaries. I don't have a lot in common with Romney, but I do admit he has incredible presence and can work the press as good as former presidents Reagan and Clinton. Romney is very media friendly, and his Mormon faith won't hurt his credentials as it certainly hasn't hurt Glenn Beck.

The most solid bet for success for the GOP would be to go with a known entity, Romney, and an up and coming star who can match his intelligence, namely Jindal. While too conservative for many moderates, Jindal can shore up the right wing of the party while Romney gets the moderates and independents. Frankly, any other ticket I can think of, outside of maybe Gingrich or Giuliani, is a sure bet to lose against Obama-Biden. It's about playing high percentage politics and not going with unknown or inexperienced populists.