2012 Retina 15" MBP turns of before battery runs out...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SCMedic, Jun 8, 2017.

1. SCMedic macrumors regular

Ok guys. I've gotten great mileage out of this thing, but my 2012 MBP keeps turning off at around 45%, and then says to plug it in because the battery is dead. Ran Coconut Battery and it says everything is copacetic. I've reset the SMC, and PRAM without any noticeable change.

Any ideas?

2. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Odds are it's the battery. Have a look at the powermanagement log in Console, should log the reason why its turning off.

3. SCMedic thread starter macrumors regular

Will do. Although Coconut Battery says everything is healthy and whatnot.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 8, 2017 ---
    What specifically should I be looking for?

4. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

Coconut Battery is a marginally useful App at best IMO, because it cannot account for the multitude of factors that cause lithium cells to wear. While cycle count is one major metric used in estimating service life, there are other factors that can cause a lithium battery to go kaput long before reaching the end of that expected cycle count.

I agree it sounds like the battery. An Apple Authorized Service Provider can perform MRI on your system (it's free) - be sure to take your charging cords to have them tested as well as problematic chargers or charging cables can sometimes play into battery issues. Chances are the MRI graph will show your battery in the red and everything else as OK.

For good measures, it's not a bad idea to periodically visually inspect the battery for unusual smells, physical deformities, swelling, or leakage, if you havent already.

5. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

I had a similar power-off issue with my late-2013. Logs showed the voltage suddenly dropped and the mac shut down to protect itself. Showed it to the Genius and they booked it in for AppleCare work without question.

Look at the logs for the date/time it powered off, see what it says.