2012 Retina Macbook Pro gets 4hrs of battery life.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Woodcrest64, Nov 28, 2015.

1. Woodcrest64 macrumors 65816

Aug 14, 2006
    My 2012 Macbook Pro Retina 15" gets approximately 3.5 to 4.5 hours of battery life with primarily web use. The original battery life was rated up to 7 hours. However I've never achieved 7 hours of web browsing.

Currently my battery is at 649 cycles with 79% (6751mah) of the original capacity of 8,460mah. When I got the Macbook Pro it came with Lion which I've upgraded every year to the newest OS but though the performance has gotten a little better I've never achieved the 7hrs as mentioned.

I'm wondering now on Yosemite if I purchase a new battery if I will get 7 hours of web browsing assuming i don't watch a lot of videos. I know it depends on a lot of variables. I use to get around 5.5 hrs on the original battery.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if I do the math correct depending on my usage I should only see 6 hours at best if I replace the battery.
  2. Kissmyne macrumors 6502

Apr 21, 2015
    It is difficult to make any assessment related to potential battery life as there are a great many variables. To give you an idea.. under the heaviest loads I can deplete my battery in 1 hour, under typical lightest loads I can get 10 hours. If you replace your battery I would expect very similar battery life as you are getting with your original battery. However please keep in mind that in my experience OS X 10.9 or newer has better battery performance than OS X 10.7.5 Lion. If you are running Yosemite, I recommend updating to El Cap as there are notable performance improvements that may also reflect on battery life...
  3. iliasp macrumors member

Jan 23, 2013
    Replaced mine on my Mid2012 rMBP a couple of weeks ago (around 60% health after almost 800 cycles) and i am still getting around 3-4 hours, no luck there :)
  4. T5BRICK macrumors G3

Aug 3, 2006
    Battery life is highly dependent on usage. The number that Apple quotes is just an example based on a set of tasks. If you do a different set of tasks, it'll give you different results.

A replacement battery will help but nobody can tell you how much. It depends on your usage.