Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I'm currently considering a few factors... the major one being that the current Thunderbolt monitor is WAY past it's prime and is spec'd too poorly to buy at 1000 bucks, but I would like to get a machine that has the quality of current iMac monitor.

My current set up is the 2.3Ghz Mac Mini with a 256gb SSD and the 1TBHDD on a smaller 23 inch monitor. But I'm wondering if the new 2013 27 inch iMac would be an upgrade or a downgrade from my Mac Mini for video editing? On one hand my i7 Mac Mini has quad-core hyper-threading while the i5 iMac is clocked at a higher speed with a dedicated video card.

Which machine is more suited for video cutting on FCPX? I tend to produce a fair bit of web videos. Should I pick up a new (base level) 27" iMac or just stick with my Mini?

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
I'm currently considering a few factors... the major one being that the current Thunderbolt monitor is WAY past it's prime and is spec'd too poorly to buy at 1000 bucks, but I would like to get a machine that has the quality of current iMac monitor.

My current set up is the 2.3Ghz Mac Mini with a 256gb SSD and the 1TBHDD on a smaller 23 inch monitor. But I'm wondering if the new 2013 27 inch iMac would be an upgrade or a downgrade from my Mac Mini for video editing? On one hand my i7 Mac Mini has quad-core hyper-threading while the i5 iMac is clocked at a higher speed with a dedicated video card.

Which machine is more suited for video cutting on FCPX? I tend to produce a fair bit of web videos. Should I pick up a new (base level) 27" iMac or just stick with my Mini?

What is your geekbench score?

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
Your Mac mini has about the same performance as the current ones, I would keep it and throw more ram in.

And the new ones will not be much faster except in the ssd department. The gpu will be still considerably slower than the 775 in the iMac.

Or buy a top of the line imac base with the 256 ssd. You say you do some editing so having a faster gpu will come in handy.

Just my thoughts.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Your Mac mini has about the same performance as the current ones, I would keep it and throw more ram in.

And the new ones will not be much faster except in the ssd department. The gpu will be still considerably slower than the 775 in the iMac.

Or buy a top of the line imac base with the 256 ssd. You say you do some editing so having a faster gpu will come in handy.

Just my thoughts.

Cool man appreciate it! I'm trying to be thrifty as well. What I really want is a Mac Pro. But one can dream.

propower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
The i5 is 35% faster clock speed. For tasks that do not saturate four cores it will be much faster. For highly parallel tasks the i7 will catch up some. If you are going for the imac i5 spring $200 and that i7 will be 35% faster at everything.

I had the 2012 2.6 i7 mac mini. The 3.5 imac is way more powerful.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I read a review of this monitor that was very favorable. Might be worth trying as you can return it and there is no restocking fee.

That's something I might consider. Good price.

----------

The i5 is 35% faster clock speed. For tasks that do not saturate four cores it will be much faster. For highly parallel tasks the i7 will catch up some. If you are going for the imac i5 spring $200 and that i7 will be 35% faster at everything.

I had the 2012 2.6 i7 mac mini. The 3.5 imac is way more powerful.

No way to get the i7 version at Best Buy though eh? I use the reward zone and collect a lot of points. Maybe I'll see if I can find a refurbished i7.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
The biggest problem is that I'm getting a lot of Pinwheels in FCPX... I'm pretty sure I maxed out the RAM too...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.