2013 Asus RT-AC56U router

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by calearne, Aug 15, 2013.

1. calearne macrumors member

calearne

This new AC router from asus seems like a better deal than the newest gen airport extreme.

It's cheaper and even has a usb 3.0 port.

It also has AiRadar that optimizes signal strength in any direction, sort of like Beamforming maybe?

Why on earth would I buy the AE when this masterpiece is available instead?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. calearne thread starter macrumors member

calearne

3. Operant, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2013

Operant macrumors newbie

The default firmware on the previous ASUS router I owned was pretty ******. I got tired of doing 90-second hard resets, flashing DD-WRT, updating it and hard-reseting again, spending hours reading pages of wikis to figure out what each option does and then tweaking it.
    What Apple's software lacks in customizability, it makes up for in user-friendliness. But some people like spending all their free time tinkering, so if that's the case, then definitely don't get apple products.

Addendum: my old router was an RT-N10p. It also often used to stutter on the connection. The AC66 is probably a lot better (the N10 was a budget model, so I got what I payed for), but most of the reviews I read had people still strongly recommending installing custom firmware. That's perfectly fine for some, but I'm tired of it.

4. opinio macrumors 65816

Your kidding right? Its a nice piece of kit and probably has more options than a Winnebago... but a masterpiece compared to the Extreme? If I was a Windows user I would probably give it a close look, but as Mac user, the complementarity of the Extreme to Apple devices is exceptional. I know it is cliche here but... you can't always compare Apples with oranges.

5. John Kotches macrumors 6502

Asus' other router, the AC-66 is one of the top performers at SMallNetBuilder.

Given that Asus is making high quality products, I don't doubt that this will perform extremely well.

If you your goal is aesthetics that's fine. If your goal is performance, the Airport Extreme isn't the best.

6. calearne thread starter macrumors member

calearne

The new airports also have a cooling fan (Just another thing to break in the future).

7. John Kotches macrumors 6502

Fans should be user serviceable components. Very frustrating when any manufacturer makes it impossible to service them yourself.

8. opinio macrumors 65816

You want apple to design their technology with DIY serviceability in mind?

Also I don't see any serviceable parts on the ASUS?

----------

How many posts have you seen with fans breaking down in Apple products?

9. John Kotches macrumors 6502

For parts like fans, yes. Often there are quieter yet equally effective fans than manufacturers use. They are more expensive so they affect profit margin.

It's passively cooled. So there is no fan to replace.

Here's a teardown.

The antennae are external to the chassis so they are user replaceable.

10. opinio macrumors 65816

I've had the 2013 AirPort open (Time Capsule - not Extreme). I wouldn't say it is easy, but certainly servicable. It is about as difficult as pulling a Mac mini apart. The fan is similar to the one in a Mac mini so I am guessing you could replace it if needed. Although as I have said, I have never seen a broken fan. Broken fan connectors yes, but that was to do with human error in the DIY repair.

If you're interested.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1600698

11. John Kotches macrumors 6502

One point to make about this new Asus router is that it is an AC1200 (2x2) instead of an AC1750 (3x3) which is what the Airport Extreme is.

So it is very possible that the AC56U will have lower throughput.

12. Operant macrumors newbie

I didn't even notice that. I automatically thought OP was posting about the AC66U.

13. John Kotches macrumors 6502

I made that mistake too.

The replaceable antennae are on the AC66u, not the AC56u.

14. stiwi macrumors regular

This router is great, I have been using it since 2 weeks. You can install custom Merlin firmware which keeps the look and feel of stock firmware, while adding more features and optimizations (e.g. OpenVPN). Asus is keeping up with development of both hardware and software pretty good. In the latest stock firmware they have added dual wan support.

Also keep in mind that AE is not as powerful as RT-AC56U which is dual-core 800Mhz. AE WAN to LAN max speed is 430Mbps. So if you have faster internet or plan to use VPN on the router, AC56U is the way to go.

15. silvetti macrumors 6502a

silvetti

Anyone one has used one of these or the older brother AC66 with a hard drive connected and backed up thru Time Machine ?

Any hiccups or works flawlessly ?