2013 iPhone 6 - expectations

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lamerica80, Sep 27, 2012.

1. lamerica80 macrumors 6502a

lamerica80

Now that the iphone 5 is old news, its about time to start thinking about iphone 6, with a probable release in just under a year.

What are your hopes and expectations of the new Iphone 6?

:D

2. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

It will look exactly like the iPhone 5, but the iPhone 5S will be faster, add fingerprint technology, NFC, and will be available in more colors. :D

3. rsxmachine macrumors 6502

completely agree with that assessment

4. NoOneHitsHarder macrumors member

Since the iPhone 5 has been out less than a week, I would have to disagree. The iPhone 5 still seems to dominate the tech world news.

5. whitesand macrumors regular

And when it comes out the forums will be littered with whiners claiming everything is defective..

6. x986 macrumors regular

I would hope that the screen would stay at 4", but get "a bit" shorter & wider.

7. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

No! No more app letterboxing woes! 90% of apps still haven't been updated for iPhone 5 yet!

8. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Phone size will remain the same. Apple does not change things when it was just changed for the iphone 5. The iPhone 5S will have just a few improvements, nothing too major, like the camera, perhaps fingerprint technology, or a small speed bump and the all important improvements of the Mapping and SIRI. Colors will remain as well. No change there

9. crackbookpro macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

My expectations are that Apple harnesses it's power of acquiring Authentec, and change the world yet again by introducing a new way to make purchases.

Your wallet is going bye-byes... (that's my hope)

Apple has to come up with a fast/easy/secure way of utilizing NFC, and I think with the new in-cell glass technology in the iPhone 5, the use of thumb scan bio-metrics with having Authentec now in your back pocket - make next years' release/iPhone the biggest update since the iPhone debuted in 2007.

Siri was a marketing ploy of an update in 2011, but the update that comes in conjunction from acquiring Authentic will change the world... the phone... the way we buy things.

I can't wait to be honest... it may be fall 2013. Passbook is their pilot program this year, and next year - it will be full-speed ahead!!!

10. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

I've deleted the parts I disagree with.

I don't see iPhone gong technicolor and I don't see NFC - they easily could have done it this year but I think they've decided to give the technology the Flash treatment. I think they'll have something interesting for mobile payments next year, and fingerprint might be a part of it, but NFC won't.

11. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Apple will be stubborn again and just release iPhone 5S. It will be twice as fast and it will have double processor with better camera.

12. johnothy macrumors regular

johnothy

I agree. The screen is awkward since we only gain 1/2 an inch at the top.

13. darngooddesign macrumors G3

14. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

The new color(s) will come. They will want to market the new color(s) so the phone does not 'appear' the same-looking as this year's model.. Kind of how they did when the white phone was delayed due to production problems for the iPhone 4.

15. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

So true.

16. pgiguere1, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012

pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

The S iterations are usually mainly about speed, and it mattered a lot for example between 3G and 3GS but now the iPhone 5 is fast enough and I think a lot of people wouldn't really care.

S iterations also made sense since the design updates (original->3G and 3GS->4) didn't bring huge performance gains so they needed to boost speed significantly every 2 generations. But now this iPhone 5 update not only brought a new design but also a performance update bigger than any S update in the past.

So, if there is in fact a 5S with the same design as the 5, I don't see how it could be that much better than the 5.

It could have something like:
    - A7 with quad-core custom processor for double the CPU power
    - 12Mpx camera with better postprocessing and no purple haze
    - 802.11ac Wi-Fi chip
    - Some gimmicky exclusive software feature that "requires" the 5S' hardware, like a new view in Maps or something

Anandtech said NFC was impossible with the current design, the glass windows on the back are too small. The case is also too small for inductive charging.

If that's the case, not only would iPhone 5 owner not be compelled to upgrade, but even a lot of new buyers would chose the 5 over the 5S to save money.

So, either
    1) The iPhone 5S is released is perceived as the biggest disappointment in the iPhone's history
    2) Apple skips the iPhone 5 and directly make an iPhone 6 with a complete new design and hardware features

As a customer of course I'd like the second to happen, but who knows what Apple will do. They care about their margins more than their marketshare. By seeing the smartphone profit share graph it kind of makes sense.

17. TyKandi macrumors newbie

I doubt more colours. I think they'll keep the phones to just black and white. I expect Siri to come out of beta by the next release. It'll be a tweaked 5. But nonetheless. Still sexy :)

18. megc macrumors newbie

iphone6 predictions

i think the next iPhone will be iPhone6 and i think it will be better than the five... and hopefully will a longer battery life.... and better maps... :D:eek::apple: also i hope the design of the phone should be similar but better than galaxy s III and HTC... android phones... because my contracts due next year i think... and when it comes to making decisions its just too hard... and as a loyal apple fan i've sadly been leading towards the galaxy s III and i really dont want to have to do that.. so my fingers are crossed that apple does something unexpected and make a phone that everyone will love and want to have. :)