Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ek9max

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2011
Will a 2013 Mac pro with D300 run a scaled 4k60 display at 3008x1692 smoothly?

I have a 2018 mac mini and I needed an EGPU to run this display and res smoothly. My buddy is willing to sell me his old mac pro for cheap but he doesn't have a 4k monitor to try out what I'm asking.

Does anybody know?

Also, my display comes with a MDP-->DP cable. Is that going to work?

Langdon St. Ives

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2020
Germany
Will a 2013 Mac pro with D300 run a scaled 4k60 display at 3008x1692 smoothly?

I have a 2018 mac mini and I needed an EGPU to run this display and res smoothly. My buddy is willing to sell me his old mac pro for cheap but he doesn't have a 4k monitor to try out what I'm asking.

Does anybody know?

Also, my display comes with a MDP-->DP cable. Is that going to work?

Sorry I can‘t give a precise answer, but FWIW, I have the D500 driving two 4K displays at 60 Hz just fine, both scaled, a 32” at 3008 and a 27” at 2560 x 1440 (perfect cos this comes out to almost identical effective scale for the two). So I can’t imagine the D300 running into trouble with just one. I assume 60 Hz is your concern, as the resolution itself is definitely not an issue.

And yes I think you want to go the DP route. I first tried with HDMI but couldn’t get 60 Hz out of either of my displays. I read it works for some but I think DP/mDP is your best shot. It’ll plug right into your TB2 ports.

Probably want to look into getting displayplacer for a scaled non-Apple display, mine tend to lose their settings and arrangement every couple of weeks waking from sleep. Not often but annoying when it happens... a little shell script wrapper for displayplacer provides instant relief.

Reactions: dabotsonline

ApplyPie

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2019
Here n There
The HDMI on the 2013 mac pro can't do 4k at 60 fps. You'll have to go the DP route. You didn't say how many cores your prospective 2013 has. I've got a 2013 mac pro, 6core 3.5ghz with d500 (d300 shouldn't matter) and it can drive 4k 60fps, but VLC is pushing the CPU's pretty hard.

Reactions: dabotsonline

Langdon St. Ives

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2020
Germany
Cores shouldn’t matter either, I have an 8core now but the stock 4core I had before was fine for 2 x 4k@60, both scaled, smooth sailing. (D500 but like you I also think that D300 shouldn’t be an issue.)

ek9max

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2011
The HDMI on the 2013 mac pro can't do 4k at 60 fps. You'll have to go the DP route. You didn't say how many cores your prospective 2013 has. I've got a 2013 mac pro, 6core 3.5ghz with d500 (d300 shouldn't matter) and it can drive 4k 60fps, but VLC is pushing the CPU's pretty hard.

3.5GHz 6 core with 32gb ram and d300 config. Are you able to test out 3008x1692 for me and tell me how smooth it is around the UI? I don't game or edit. I just want my Macos experience to be smooth.
[automerge]1591758485[/automerge]
Sorry I can‘t give a precise answer, but FWIW, I have the D500 driving two 4K displays at 60 Hz just fine, both scaled, a 32” at 3008 and a 27” at 2560 x 1440 (perfect cos this comes out to almost identical effective scale for the two). So I can’t imagine the D300 running into trouble with just one. I assume 60 Hz is your concern, as the resolution itself is definitely not an issue.

And yes I think you want to go the DP route. I first tried with HDMI but couldn’t get 60 Hz out of either of my displays. I read it works for some but I think DP/mDP is your best shot. It’ll plug right into your TB2 ports.

Probably want to look into getting displayplacer for a scaled non-Apple display, mine tend to lose their settings and arrangement every couple of weeks waking from sleep. Not often but annoying when it happens... a little shell script wrapper for displayplacer provides instant relief.
Oh nice. so 3008x1692 is smooth? What kind of cables are you using?

My display has HDmi/DP/ Mini DP.

Langdon St. Ives

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2020
Germany
3.5GHz 6 core with 32gb ram and d300 config. Are you able to test out 3008x1692 for me and tell me how smooth it is around the UI? I don't game or edit. I just want my Macos experience to be smooth.

Subjectively, to me it's smooth, and was so already when I still had the 4-core CPU, I really wouldn't worry about that part. No gaming here either, but I can say at 30Hz on HDMI it was... just about usable but stressful. Felt like a physical disability, never hitting quite on the spot with the mouse pointer. But after switching to DP and 60Hz, it's completely fine for me.

I'm using miniDP -> DP, one came with one of the screens the other I got from amazon, don't remember what it was, nothing fancy, < 10 €. Oh just checked my history, it was this one. I'm not a cable fetishist unless it's analog audio, or digital storage. For digital video, I'll _see_ if there is an issue and will return it... next...

So I also don't think it'll make any difference if you get a DP <-> mDP or straight mDP <-> mDP, just get what's most readily available.

If I were you I'd just take my display to your friend's house and try it out first hand before buying the thing from him? Or don't you have the monitor yet?

HTH!

ek9max

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2011
Subjectively, to me it's smooth, and was so already when I still had the 4-core CPU, I really wouldn't worry about that part. No gaming here either, but I can say at 30Hz on HDMI it was... just about usable but stressful. Felt like a physical disability, never hitting quite on the spot with the mouse pointer. But after switching to DP and 60Hz, it's completely fine for me.

I'm using miniDP -> DP, one came with one of the screens the other I got from amazon, don't remember what it was, nothing fancy, < 10 €. Oh just checked my history, it was this one. I'm not a cable fetishist unless it's analog audio, or digital storage. For digital video, I'll _see_ if there is an issue and will return it... next...

So I also don't think it'll make any difference if you get a DP <-> mDP or straight mDP <-> mDP, just get what's most readily available.

If I were you I'd just take my display to your friend's house and try it out first hand before buying the thing from him? Or don't you have the monitor yet?

HTH!

I have the monitor hooked up to my macmini/egpu as we speak. He lives on the other side of the country. At this point I'm just gonna get him to ship it to me because at the price I'm getting it I will be able to sell it if it sucks.

Seems like most people think it's going to work out ok anyways.

My monitor has 2 HDMI 2.0/ DP 1.2 / Mini DP 1.2.

Currently my mac mini is using one of the HDMI and the DP is being used by my work laptop.

I think I'll just grab a mDP --- mDP cable when I get the machine.

Reactions: Langdon St. Ives

ApplyPie

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2019
Here n There

You aren't talking about playing back 4k video at 60hz, but just regular desktop? No problem at all if so.

I have a mini-dp -> DP cable.

I also have a second connection to the same monitor through HDMI because during booting the mac pro won't support 60hz and I get a blank screen. With the HDMI cable also connected it's able to display during boot.

Langdon St. Ives

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2020
Germany
I also have a second connection to the same monitor through HDMI because during booting the mac pro won't support 60hz and I get a blank screen. With the HDMI cable also connected it's able to display during boot.

Ya I noticed that too, never occurred to me that this could be due to 60Hz, nor that the dual connection thing may work, will give it a try. :)

ek9max

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2011
You aren't talking about playing back 4k video at 60hz, but just regular desktop? No problem at all if so.

I have a mini-dp -> DP cable.

Oh that’s not a bad idea. Does your monitor auto sense inputs?
Also. Would you have to set the Mac Pro to display port again once it’s done booting up?

MikkelAD

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2018

I have a Dell U2718Q connected with the mini-dp -> DP cable that came with the monitor. I am able to see the Apple logo and progress bar when it boots ?

As far a scaling goes I have experimented a little bit with different options both in terms of performance and functionality and if this is true:

All three FirePro GPUs have the same number of ROPs (render output units) so they should be equally capable of driving a 4K display.

... my observations should apply to all models. The most demanding thing I do on my computer is watching 1080p videos on YouTube or some streams on Twitch. All scaled resolutions seems to run smoothly on the desktop and I find the 3200*1800 resolution to be a good balance. After experimenting it seems the scaling will result in a little performance hit. The playback of video felt a little more clunky and by using 'Mac Fans Control' it was obvious that temperatures did rise faster which resultet in earlier ramp up of the fan speed.

I have now switched back to 4k and don't experience quite the same. Furthermore being able to enlarge icons on the desktop, the "dock" and using the 'zoom-function' at eg. 125% in safari offsets some of the negatives of using 4k to me...

Langdon St. Ives

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2020
Germany
I have a Dell U2718Q connected with the mini-dp -> DP cable that came with the monitor. I am able to see the Apple logo and progress bar when it boots ?

So, for me it does appear some time into the boot process, but not right from the start as I am used to when using all Apple displays on my old cMP or integrated ones on various iMacs and MBPs I've owned. There I remember the Apple logo basically appearing instantly on power on. With these third party displays I only see it after a few seconds, when the progress bar is already partly filled. (Same during OS updates, some parts I'll see, some remain dark, and the ones I do see are sometimes in the wrong aspect ratio.) But these are at the same time the first 4k displays and the first third party displays I've had, so I always thought it was because they're not from Apple, never occurred to me it may be because of 4k. Actually not a big deal either way, but I figure I might as well give that dual connection thing a shot. I do prefer seeing what's going on...

MikkelAD

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2018
With these third party displays I only see it after a few seconds, when the progress bar is already partly filled.

Maybe I misunderstood you a bit, but that is exactly how it is for me. I have just tested it on a iMac from 2013 and sure enough with that computer the Apple logo shows almost instantly and the progress bar starts from "0".

Actually not a big deal either way

I guess I never thought further about it. I have previously used a Mac Pro 5.1 with a NVIDIA GPU and since then I have always thought either the bootscreen is present or it isn't.

but I figure I might as well give that dual connection thing a shot

Sure. Could be fun to see if the HDMI and 30Hz will make a difference. I do think it will be kind of excessive to buy a HDMI cable just to get 2 more seconds of bootscreen though ?

Langdon St. Ives

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2020
Germany
Sure. Could be fun to see if the HDMI and 30Hz will make a difference. I do think it will be kind of excessive to buy a HDMI cable just to get 2 more seconds of bootscreen though ?

Yeah, I probably wouldn't go that far either ? especially since I really only reboot the box for os updates, but I have a bunch lying around unused anyway so might as well...

MikkelAD

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2018
Yeah, I probably wouldn't go that far either ? especially since I really only reboot the box for os updates, but I have a bunch lying around unused anyway so might as well...

Of course you should try it. I only have a white HDMI cable used for a TV setup years ago and can't ruin my beautiful black/grey setup ?

ek9max

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2011

As far a scaling goes I have experimented a little bit with different options both in terms of performance and functionality and if this is true:

... my observations should apply to all models. The most demanding thing I do on my computer is watching 1080p videos on YouTube or some streams on Twitch. All scaled resolutions seems to run smoothly on the desktop and I find the 3200*1800 resolution to be a good balance. After experimenting it seems the scaling will result in a little performance hit. The playback of video felt a little more clunky and by using 'Mac Fans Control' it was obvious that temperatures did rise faster which resultet in earlier ramp up of the fan speed.

I have now switched back to 4k and don't experience quite the same. Furthermore being able to enlarge icons on the desktop, the "dock" and using the 'zoom-function' at eg. 125% in safari offsets some of the negatives of using 4k to me...

was the performance hit even noticeable to the eye? Or just in your findings with fan control and heat?

MikkelAD

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2018
was the performance hit even noticeable to the eye? Or just in your findings with fan control and heat?

To be honest I don't think the performance hit is that obvious. It's probably me being a little bit too obsessed with optimising if possible ?

According to this, scaling it isn't a big problem in general and especially under heavier loads. I would consider playback of 1080p video demanding and the difference is probably quite small. It just got my attention because I have tried 4K resolution before and did experience something different when using scaling...

Last edited:

ek9max

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2011
To be honest I don't think the performance hit is that obvious. It's probably me being a little bit too obsessed with optimising if possible ?

According to this, scaling it isn't a big problem in general and especially under heavier loads. I would consider playback of 1080p video demanding and the difference is probably quite small. It just got my attention because I have tried 4k before and experienced something different when using scaling...

And playing 4k youtube videos isn't as hard as 1080p?

MikkelAD

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2018
And playing 4k youtube videos isn't as hard as 1080p?

I have never tried that since I use Safari. Are 4k Youtube videos not only possible with Google Chrome?

Using VLC-player to play 1080p movies is no problem what so ever, but again I have never tried anything more demanding...

ek9max

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2011
I have never tried that since I use Safari. Are 4k Youtube videos not only possible with Google Chrome?

Using VLC-player to play 1080p movies is no problem what so ever, but again I have never tried anything more demanding...
yea google chrome. I prefer safari, but I watch a lot of youtube, so 4k is nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.