2013 rMBP 13" 2.4 16MB Ram or 2013 MBA 13" "loaded"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by deeve, Dec 27, 2013.

1. deeve macrumors member

Hello I am looking to replace my 2009 13" MBP. It has been a great machine, but I am wanting to upgrade and hand my old MBP down to the kids. Mostly I am getting very slow rendering for simple videos that I would like to speed up some and just the desire to have a newer speedier machine. I am going back and forth between a decked out MBA with the 512GB SSD or a rMBP 2.4 with 16gb ram and 256GB SSD.

I surf the web, edit/organize photos, edit simple action cam videos, blog and general use stuff with the iWork type stuff.

Any thoughts on one machine over the other?

2. mattbaar26 macrumors regular

If you can live with a non retina screen, I would get the air. The rumor is that the new airs will have retina displays so if you are okay with an older model get the air. I just got the rMBP and it is amazing coming from an air.

3. filmanthology macrumors newbie

Partial response to the entire question.

For me, I have been working on the Air for nearly a year. The machine is great. Would not change a thing with the Air--very pleased.

However, on my next go-around I'll be buying the rMBP. The reason is really quite simple; I sometimes have to work long hours at night (college student). The screen of the Air after hours of reading and word processing takes a real toll on the eyes--regardless of the ambient lighting.

My wife has taken to magnifying the text when she uses the Air. When I asked her about it she replied that the text resolution is difficult to balance when reading lengthy articles and PDFs--and it hurts her eyes after a few hours.

My suggestion directly relates to the number of hours that you'll be at the screen during one sitting. If considerable (perhaps more then four hours) go with rMBP. Otherwise, the Air is the greatest laptop I have ever owned.

4. Black.Infinity macrumors 6502

Black.Infinity

same as you had these two laptops in my head. But I decided to go retina because of more ram, design and retina. go with rMBP

5. deeve thread starter macrumors member

Thanks all..I think the rMBP is for me. The only downside is I cannot afford a bigger SSD right now, but that is about the only thing that is upgradeable on these newer machines anyway.

6. iWeekend macrumors regular

filmanthology, have you checked out a dedicated reader -- whether that is a (retina) ipad or one of the several e-ink tablets out there? Add in f.lux and/or a top rated pdf reader and the eye strain should be reduced considerably. Calibrating a colour profile in the laptop would be another step.

OP, glad you got it worked out.

7. deeve thread starter macrumors member

Next question is.... When will the next rMBP turn up in the Refurbished store?