2013 rMBP screws fell out and Apple replaced and stripped the holes again!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Eyeless916, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Eyeless916 macrumors newbie

So i am at my wits end with Apple right now. My macbook pro retina when i first got it had a screw that just looked weird on the bottom case. So i took it in and they refused to return it for a new one (this was 2 weeks after i got it). a week later the screw fell out, and another screw started to do the same thing, then one day i noticed my screen was crooked. So i took it and the "genius" at the store put screws in it and i guess what he did was just put different size screws in. A month later they fell out. SO back to apple demand to see a manager - no they will not exchange it for a new one but will send it to be repaired. Fine. So they send it to get repaired and they replace the top chassis including the batter b/c i guess they are one and the bottom case. I go and pick it up and THE SCREW WAS MISSING AGAIN! same one. So I demand to speak to a manager and he says they will just order the missing screw no problem, and no need to make another appointment just come in when they call.

Two weeks later they call say the screw is in. I bring it in and am hassled b/c i don'g have an appointment 2 hours later - "oh yeah your the guy with the screw"... So they put the screw in. A week later SCREW IS COMING OUT AGAIN! I call apple and they say i need to take it in and have them replace it. So i do fine new screw fits. A month later Screw coming out again - take it in tech takes the screw out and says they just jammed a larger screw in their and the hole is completely stripped again. So now they are taking it back and replacing the top chassis and bottom case again.

How do you deal with this? I have never had this bad service ever with an apple product. Who do you even complain to. At this point I am pretty sure the screw will fall out again.

Mind you, i have never dropped this computer. there isn't a single blemish or scratch on it.

Anyone ever have something this frustrating happen? how did you get it resolved? :mad:

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Call AppleCare.

3. Eyeless916 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Email customer relations. I can understand once or twice, but if it is the same screw every time either you keep giving them the same screw to put back in or the whole screw mount is bad. Give them one more shot then email customer relations regarding this if AppleCare cannot assist you.

You would think it wouldn't be a big deal for a screw or two.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I agree with Altemose. You need to call AppleCare again and ask to speak with someone who can help you resolve the issue. Make sure they understand that you don't seem to be getting anywhere when having the rMBP repaired at the Apple Store. They may need to look up your repair history and they may not be able to resolve the issue right away.

6. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Agreed that you should contact customer relations and get this machine replaced with a new one. Make the case that 5 lost screw incidents requiring a trip to the Apple store and 2 botched over-night repairs (all for the same incidents) is really infringing on your work. Be polite but firm.

7. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

So are you saying you want a new laptop?

Cause reading your post, apple said they will replace the case for you this time. Sounds like they did not replace it the first time, and the tech was lazy. Though if they are going to replace it this time and fix the problem, I consider apple to doing the right thing.

I'm not sure why people ran saying call AppleCare ?, it's not like apple has said they will not repair this fault , they have just botched up the first attempt.

----------

Do you really think a missing screw should result in replacement of a new machine? I would be happy with it being repaired. You never know what issues you might get with a replacement .

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

This is the 5th time this incident exactly has occurred with the OP, and the machine went through two over-night repairs. Enough is enough. Either replace the top case again or get a new machine, it is that simple. I

9. Eyeless916 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for all the advice. I just wanted to know how to handle it. This is the second chassis rebuild (which will be its third chassis), and they keep jamming the wrong screw in the same hole (apparently each hole has a different type of screw). This is the first time they are sending it out to be replaced. Last time the store did the repair. On a second note we had an iPhone 5s that needed the ear place repaired... Got it home and guess what? Was missing its screws! I think this store has an issue with screws....

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

At least is isn't like my MBP where I can't get the screw out because it is cross threaded.

11. CarbonCycles macrumors newbie

Sorry to hear of your misfortunes, but you could always apply a very minor dab of BLUE loctite on the screws after the stripped hole has been resolved. I noticed that my pre-retina MBP's screws were secured with that appears to be blue loctite.

Using loctite is a common practice to secure screws in place.

12. SmOgER macrumors 6502a

Absolutely not. Apple service is the one what should fix this. One way or another. Although I'am sure they will just replace the machine after so many failed attempts to repair it. It's just a kind encouragement is all what's needed.

But if they really refuse to replace it (what I find kind of unbelievable), then go to another store cause obviously in this one either someone badly wants to lose his job or some really dumb**** technician is handling your laptop.

13. Eyeless916 thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually im glad it got sent back to apple. When i got it back turns out the "genius" at the store that "fixed" it before did all wrong and had pinched an audio cable and some other cable ontop of stripping three of the screw holes. So they replaced practically everything but my monitor and hard drive (new bottom shell, chassis, keyboard, logicboard, ram, cables) and even called me when they opened it up to walk me through what they were doing - which i thought was great.

Then they called again to make sure it was all running okay and extended my apple care one year b/c i had been dealing with this since i got the damn thing.

14. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Apple really does care, but unfortunately there will always be the schmuck who really can't repair anything or simply a mistake. Dropping the Logic Board back in my PowerBook required me to do it three times as I crimped a ribbon cable under the board twice. Mistakes happen.

Did you have the three years of AppleCare already, or just the 1 year? Double check that they actually added the extra AppleCare!

15. Eyeless916 thread starter macrumors newbie

i had a three year - and they extended it one year and send me a receipt for it as well with a detailed (more so than usual) report of what was wrong with the computer and how they fixed it. With the persons email at apple to follow up if anything happens. I thought that was good.

its my first time ever owning an apple product that i have had so many problems. But i really think my local store has an issue with screws... haha

16. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Good. I would check that the additional AppleCare is added to the machine by checking your warranty status in about a week. I am pretty sure it is uncustomary to have 4 years of AppleCare, so should an issue occur in year 4, I wouldn't want you to have them deny your additional coverage.

17. Eyeless916, Jul 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2014

Eyeless916 thread starter macrumors newbie

screws fell out again

Screw fell out again this time on the right side under the screen. I think at this point i should ask for a replacement. this thing has been rebuilt! never dropped and well taken care of and the freaking screw seems like its stripped. I can push it in with my finger and pops it out. ugh well back to apple will let you know how it goes!

18. Altemose, Jul 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2014

Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Please report back. I want to hear this!

19. x3n0n1c macrumors regular

OP, I am in no way calling you a lair, but I find this story hard to believe. Hard to believe as in if it is true (which i'm taking your word for), it is amazing.

I find it hard to believe because if the screw is able to be tightened, it should not fall out again. If the threads are stripped, or if the hole is too big, the screw would never properly tighten in the first place. Screws will generally only come out when subject to lots of vibration, does your laptop have to endure much? Long daily train ride to work for example?

Loctite should certainly be used in this case as it very much helps keep screws in place, especially when the screw doesn't fit perfectly. It surprises me that the Techs working on your laptop did not do this as I have seen them do it in the past. Much cheaper than actually repairing or replacing components in the machine.

I hope you are able to get your issue resolved, good luck.

20. Eyeless916 thread starter macrumors newbie

so the only thing i can think they keep doing is putting the wrong screws in the holes.

The technician had a set of the screws and she did them in the order and checked all the holes to make sure none of them have been stripped. She thinks this time they either weren't tighten to the right torque or the wrong screw was put in again and just the locktite held it in. They did replace both the chassis and the bottom plate last time.

I hope this is the last time :(

this is very unbelievable even to me i have had several apple laptops and this has never happened. But its been documented several times now. Seems for some reason to be just the screws around the hinge.

I will say I am not happy at all with my local apple store. They told me to come in without a genius bar appointment then gave me grief for coming in. The manager i had to deal with was a complete jerk too.

So far nothing seems loose! fingers crossed

----------

The locktite that was the problem the first time the screw was just jammed in with the locktite.

Apparently there is a separate screw for each whole varying in length and girth. So just putting locktite in just keeps the screw in the not body together.