2014 Nobel Peace Prize Nominees

bradl

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Well, here we are again with the nominees for the Nobel. Usual suspects apply here: Yousafzai, Pope Francis. Then those on the outs with the US: Snowden, Manning.

Interesting enough, since a lot of people on the political Right were completely up in arms when Obama was nominated and subsequently won, Vladimir Putin is now on the list. Yep! Putin has made the list of Nobel Peace Prize nominees. Knowing his record, I would expect ***** Riot to be shooting a music video outside the ceremony awarding the prize.

From NPR:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/03/05/286276386/putin-reportedly-joins-list-of-nobel-peace-prize-nominees

Putin Reportedly Joins List Of Nobel Peace Prize Nominees
by Mark Memmott
March 05, 2014 1:01 PM

Russian President Vladimir Putin is among the 278 nominees for a 2014 Nobel Peace Prize, according to Peace Research Institute Oslo, an institution that closely tracks the Nobel committee's work.

Putin, who of course is now at the center of one of the world's most dangerous situations — the crisis in Ukraine — has been "nominated by the International Academy of Spiritual Unity and Cooperation Among the Nations of the World and backed by Russian MP Iosif Kobzon, for his averting of an air strike on Syria after the chemical gas attacks in August 2013," PRIO reports.

According to the Nobel committee, the 278 nominations for this year's prize "is the highest number of candidates ever. The previous record was 259 from 2013."

We've reported before that the so-called NSA leaker, Edward Snowden, is among the nominees.

Among others who PRIO says it has confirmed are on the list:

— Malala Yousafzai, the Pakistani teen who was shot by the Taliban because of her outspoken support for the education of girls. She was a nominee last year as well.

— Chelsea Manning, formerly known as Bradley Manning. The Army private is now serving a 35-year prison sentence for leaking the largest amount of classified information in U.S. history.

Yousafzai and Snowden have made it onto PRIO Director Kristian Berg Harpviken's shortlist of likely Peace Prize honorees. The other three people he puts on that list:

— Pope Francis. Harpviken points out that in the year since he became pope, Francis "has brought attention to the fate of the poor, and the need for a new approach to development and economic redistribution. ... Pope Francis has also instilled new hope for reform of the Catholic Church. He has himself adopted a more modest appearance than his predecessors, uses social media extensively, and signals accessibility for the common man and woman."

— Novaya Gazeta, a newspaper that PRIO notes was "set up in 1993 at the initiative of Mikhail Gorbachev, who devoted part of his Nobel Peace Prize money for the purpose. The newspaper has since experienced the killings of several of its journalists. Its website has been exposed to numerous cyberattacks."

— Denis Mukwege, a doctor who for more than a decade "has given medical treatment to survivors of sexual violence. In 1999 he founded the Panzi Hospital in Bakuvu, DR Congo."

The Nobel Peace Prize laureate will be announced in October.
A semi-short list is here. Let the beatings beratings arguments discussions begin.

BL.

edk99

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
FL
I would have no problem with Obama wining the prize if he actually earned the award or even came close to doing anything even associated with the award in 2008.

The Establishment of the Nobel Prize
In this excerpt of the will, Alfred Nobel dictates that his entire remaining estate should be used to endow "prizes to those who, during the preceding year, shall have conferred the greatest benefit to mankind."

"The whole of my remaining realizable estate shall be dealt with in the following way: the capital, invested in safe securities by my executors, shall constitute a fund, the interest on which shall be annually distributed in the form of prizes to those who, during the preceding year, shall have conferred the greatest benefit on mankind. The said interest shall be divided into five equal parts, which shall be apportioned as follows: one part to the person who shall have made the most important discovery or invention within the field of physics; one part to the person who shall have made the most important chemical discovery or improvement; one part to the person who shall have made the most important discovery within the domain of physiology or medicine; one part to the person who shall have produced in the field of literature the most outstanding work in an ideal direction; and one part to the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses.

http://www.nobelprize.org/alfred_nobel/will/
I fail to see how in 2008 Obama had any time to do any of this "the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses." While campaigning for president.

As for the current list of nominees I would bet on the Pope.

HarryPot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2009
Who comes up with this list?

Is it the committee that will eventually vote for the winner? Another group of select people? Or is it open to public voting?

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
I would have no problem with Obama wining the prize if he actually earned the award or even came close to doing anything even associated with the award in 2008.

I fail to see how in 2008 Obama had any time to do any of this "the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses." While campaigning for president.

As for the current list of nominees I would bet on the Pope.
According to those standards, what has the Pope done to earn the award?

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Oct 27, 2009
According to those standards, what has the Pope done to earn the award?
Beat me to it. The Pope hasn't passed anything, Obama has assured that kids and adults in America can't get dropped from health coverage. That alone means the Pope has done less than Obama.

I seen a documentary about Denis Mukwege. He needs to win hands down. Very few could even stomach what he does.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
based on the above criteria, i would think Snowden from the short list.

however, i think the future developments in ukraine will be the main determinants of this year's prize, so we'll have to wait

bradl

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
won 2 weeks into his first term, what a joke.

EDIT.

Malala Yousafzai better win.
Logically, that isn't even right. If they announce the winner in October, and Obama didn't start his first term as POTUS until January, he would have won it 10 months later, or 3 months prior, as a CANDIDATE.

Sorry, but you're a bit off there.

BL.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
Logically, that isn't even right. If they announce the winner in October, and Obama didn't start his first term as POTUS until January, he would have won it 10 months later, or 3 months prior, as a CANDIDATE.

Sorry, but you're a bit off there.

BL.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/10/09/nobel.peace.prize/index.html

The decision appeared to catch most observers by surprise. Nominations for the prize had to be postmarked by February 1, only 12 days after Obama took office. The committee sent out its solicitation for nominations last September, two months before Obama was elected president.

Obama had not been mentioned as among front-runners for the prize, and the roomful of reporters gasped when Thorbjorn Jagland, chairman of the Nobel committee, announced that the president was the winner.
wonder if they changed their mind after they saw him continue the policies of Bush?

bradl

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I'm unclear about the ongoing discussion of Obama.

I was under the impression the thread was about current nominees.

Did I miss something?:confused:

bradl

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
I'm unclear about the ongoing discussion of Obama.

I was under the impression the thread was about current nominees.

Did I miss something?:confused:
Nope.. not at all. And as I said, completely shocked that the convo turned to dismay about Obama, but absolute silence on Putin, especially with his actions on gay rights violations, clamp down on speech (read: ***** Riot), and Ukraine.

Not a single word from those on the Right here.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
So going off of that, he was nominated 2 weeks into his term. Not won?

Either way, shocked to see that no-one here on the conservative or libertarian side of the house has an issue with Putin being on the list. Complete silence on that.

BL.
it appears so. .

not sure anyone cares Putin is nominated, if Obama won while continuing to act like Bush, why can't Putin win?

bradl

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
it appears so. .

not sure anyone cares Putin is nominated, if Obama won while continuing to act like Bush, why can't Putin win?
gay rights violations.
***** Riot.
Ukraine.

Yet he's being toted for averting air strikes against Syria, while he had been arming them.

Tell me when the last time it was that Obama armed a regime to clamp down on an insurrection.

BL.

Gutwrench

Contributor
Jan 2, 2011
Well, here we are again with the nominees for the Nobel. Usual suspects apply here: Yousafzai, Pope Francis. Then those on the outs with the US: Snowden, Manning.

Interesting enough, since a lot of people on the political Right were completely up in arms when Obama was nominated and subsequently won, Vladimir Putin is now on the list. Yep! Putin has made the list of Nobel Peace Prize nominees. Knowing his record, I would expect ***** Riot to be shooting a music video outside the ceremony awarding the prize.

From NPR:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/03/05/286276386/putin-reportedly-joins-list-of-nobel-peace-prize-nominees

A semi-short list is here. Let the beatings beratings arguments discussions begin.

BL.
There is no criteria for a nominee only that a qualified person makes it.

That is not the short list as that won't be reveled until 2064.

50 Year Secrecy Rule
The Committee does not itself announce the names of nominees, neither to the media nor to the candidates themselves. In so far as certain names crop up in the advance speculations as to who will be awarded any given year's Prize, this is either sheer guesswork or information put out by the person or persons behind the nomination. Information in the Nobel Committee's nomination database is not made public until after fifty years.
http://www.nobelprize.org/nomination/peace/

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
gay rights violations.
***** Riot.
Ukraine.

Yet he's being toted for averting air strikes against Syria, while he had been arming them.

Tell me when the last time it was that Obama armed a regime to clamp down on an insurrection.

BL.
correct, Obama has armed regimes to START insurrections, not clamp down on them.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/23/politics/us-syrian-rebels/

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/06/world/africa/weapons-sent-to-libyan-rebels-with-us-approval-fell-into-islamist-hands.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

as far as Putin goes, guessing those who nominated him think he could have done worse & are trying to calm him down a bit? :confused:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Oct 27, 2009
gay rights violations.
***** Riot.
Ukraine.

BL.
correct, Obama has armed regimes to START insurrections, not clamp down on them.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/23/politics/us-syrian-rebels/

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/06/world/africa/weapons-sent-to-libyan-rebels-with-us-approval-fell-into-islamist-hands.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

as far as Putin goes, guessing those who nominated him think he could have done worse & are trying to calm him down a bit? :confused:
And you guys had any better ideas to handle the Syria conflict?

bradl

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
From your first source:

The Obama administration has been reluctant to enter another military engagement, but announced on June 13 that it would provide military support to rebel fighters because al-Assad's forces had used chemical weapons.
So arming the rebels because they had chemical weapons used on them by their own government now means starting an insurrection?

very obtuse logic there.

a Peace Prize is going to calm him down from doing worse? What could be worse? Giving the Ukrainian troops in Crimea (the Ukraine's own land, btw) an ultimatum to surrender or face military action?

Oh wait.. he already did that, going against Ukraine's sovereignty.

How much worse do you think he should go? And what should it take to stop him? Canonization?

BL.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
From your first source:

So arming the rebels because they had chemical weapons used on them by their own government now means starting an insurrection?

very obtuse logic there.

a Peace Prize is going to calm him down from doing worse? What could be worse? Giving the Ukrainian troops in Crimea (the Ukraine's own land, btw) an ultimatum to surrender or face military action?

Oh wait.. he already did that, going against Ukraine's sovereignty.

How much worse do you think he should go? And what should it take to stop him? Canonization?

BL.
Who armed the Libyan rebels? Obama. Syria? Obama. It was NONE of our business.

As far as Putin, not sure the pope will canonize him just yet

----------

We aren't in Syria.

BL.
No business arming the rebels there