2015 MacBook Pro Retina freezes a few times a day

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nicolasdeppe, Apr 30, 2016.

1. nicolasdeppe macrumors newbie

nicolasdeppe

I bought a new MacBook Pro Retina about a month ago (Early 2015, 13 inch, 2.9 Core i5, 512gb hard drive, OS X El Capitan latest update). The day after I bought it, it started freezing out of nowhere. This happened at least a couple times a day and in any random situation (watching a video on YouTube, browsing the web, sending an email, etc), if I had music on it kept running but the computer was completely unresponsive, I can't even open force quit. After a few seconds the trackpad stopped working (meaning I couldn't hear a click when I pressed it). In many of the times I had to press the power button to turn the computer off and turn it on again, a few times I left the computer running just to see if it unfreezes but it restarted all by itself. This kept happening for two weeks so I did pretty much everything to see what was the problem: I installed the latest update of OS X from scratch (I did not use Time Machine or any kind of backup), I did both SMC and PRAM resets, ran Apple Diagnostics and passed with flying colors but the problem kept happening.

I got tired of it and went to Best Buy (where I bought the MBP) to explain them what was going on. They didn't ask any questions and just replaced my computer for a new one. I was kind of happy about it but it happened again to the new computer. I thought it was something related with Flash Player, but many of the times the computer has frozen I wasn't even using Flash Player. I have reinstalled every single third party app from scratch (Office, Flash Player, VLC, Spotify, Chrome, Firefox) but nothing.

Does anyone with the same MBP specs (or any MBP retina) have the same problem with theirs? I'm seriously losing my mind here, I don't know what to do. I spent almost $1800 on a computer that freezes a couple times a day :/

2. Kate. macrumors regular