2015 rMBP fans stay on extended periods

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JoshMKB24, Jan 27, 2016.

1. JoshMKB24 macrumors 6502a

JoshMKB24

I know the fans are obviously supposed to come on, but I've noticed recently that if its just sitting on a desk in sleep mode, like I'll be asleep and my alarm will go off and the fans are going full bore. Or sometimes the fans will stay on for extended periods. The machine isn't hot or even warm. Right now they've been on for almost a half hour and I haven't been doing anything but browsing the web. Is this normal? I have Apple Care and its still under the original 1 year until April of this year, but is it something I should get looked at?

2. Aneef macrumors regular

Aneef

Try doing an SMC reset.

3. JoshMKB24 thread starter macrumors 6502a

JoshMKB24

Thank you for the suggestion! I will try that tonight and see if that helps things.

I'm not too worried since if something does break it's covered for a long time. It just is weird and I've never had a computer before that the fans turn on for so long, especially when it isn't in use or hasn't been used in a few hours. I've had MacBook Airs for the last 3 years, so maybe I'm just not used to the fans, but even my iMac with the fusion drive, I will hear the fans once in awhile but its rare they turn on and when they do its never for more than like 3 minutes it seems.

4. Aneef macrumors regular

Aneef

Actually what your are facing is weird. I have a MacBook Pro 15" and fans are never above 2000 rpm unless I run some flash content or play a game. In your case, there is a possibility that there is some process taking up a lot of CPU usage.

5. JoshMKB24 thread starter macrumors 6502a

JoshMKB24

Its embarrassing but the only things I do on my laptop are surf the web and watch YouTube videos. I'll watch movies on flights on it, but I do nothing that would take a lot of power. I thought of that initially too and checked to see what processes were running and only iTunes, Photos, Word, and if I'm watching a movie VLC were up. I've never seen anything operational on there besides other Microsoft Office programs.

6. JoshMKB24 thread starter macrumors 6502a

JoshMKB24

Well I tried the SMC reset! Hopefully that clears things up! I guess I'll report back if it does it again. Thanks for the suggestion! I guess the only thing is I held down the buttons it said. While the computer was off I pushed the shift/control/option/power keys and released them and then just hit the power button to turn it on. It didn't make any flashing or noises to indicate it worked, but I did what it said so I'm assuming it worked.

7. Aneef macrumors regular

Aneef

"On MagSafe power adapters, the LED might change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC."

8. JoshMKB24 thread starter macrumors 6502a

JoshMKB24

Yep, thats the directions I was following. It said it may change colors, but it never did. I mean so far so good, the fans haven't turned on since last night haha

9. JoshMKB24 thread starter macrumors 6502a

JoshMKB24

Hah damn it seems to have started again. Last night I stopped using it around 11pm and then around 3am it woke me up because the fans were going full tilt. I'm guessing maybe its time to take it in