2016 15" MBP (base model) vs 2017 13" MBP nTB (with upgraded 16gb ram)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aromatase, Jul 23, 2017.

1. aromatase macrumors newbie

Dear MacRumours,

I have an interesting decision to make, seeking some advice.

The 2016 15" MBP base model have gone on "clearance" sales, making a $3000 = $2534.
    The 2017 13" MBP nTB with 16gb RAM (the model I would like), from the education store is = $2419

Meaning for $115 extra, I get a 15" screen, dedicated graphics, touchbar (useless) and 2 extra USB ports.
    I have a weaker battery life (less efficient processor) but more processing power?

I do heavy multi-tasking, some 3D work and very little light gaming. I definitely would like to 'future proof' by going 16gb of ram, but i have read some really negative things about the 2016 MBP in terms of keyboard, and battery life.

Thanks,

Aromatase

2. Sterkenburg macrumors 6502

Heavy multi-tasking + 3D work + some gaming --> I'd get the 15" model for the dedicated graphics and 4-core processor.

For 115$ (assuming storage is the same) it's a no-brainer in my opinion, and the only thing you would gain with the 13" is portability. And 4K 10-bit HEVC hardware decoding, but if you needed that you'd probably know.

Keyboard is a matter of personal preference, but the 2017 one has the same mechanism and evidence that it has been improved/fixed is anecdotal at best. As for the initial battery life issues with the 2016 models, they have been fixed quite early after release via software updates.

Your pick, but as a general suggestion: get the specs you need and avoid mulling over all the negative bias from the forums.

3. EgGKeith macrumors member

for me
    i am thinking about the base 15 mbp (mid-2016) too.

4. aromatase thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. Indeed it is the same storage, and to be fair the 15" model has better specs for the price.

I was just more worried about battery life (and little bit on portability) but the value of a dedicated GPU + 4 ports, out weighs the benefits of a smaller laptop.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 24, 2017 ---
    Your signature makes me think you have the 2016 13" pro?

Are you considering upgrading size to the 15" version?

5. EgGKeith macrumors member

yes, you are right.