2016 Macbook Pro & LG 4K Monitor Sleep Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by police340, Dec 17, 2016.

1. police340 macrumors regular

Hello,

I have new Macbook Pro and LG 4K monitor sold by Apple and designed to work with Macbook Pro. When they go to sleep, the external monitor does not want to wake up. Apple support had no idea short of bringing it back. The only way it will wake is when I disconnect and reconnect cable. Any ideas?

Thanks, Bill

2. kb3uru macrumors newbie

kb3uru

I am having this same issue using non usb c monitors as well.. Contacted apple and created an engineering case about a week ago and haven't heard from them since. What model Mbp do you have?

3. gr2020 macrumors member

I've noticed weird problems when I have the 4K plugged in, but also another power source plugged in (like the Mac's own power adapter). When I just have the monitor plugged into the Mac, things seem to work ok.

Might be totally unrelated to what you're seeing, but just in case...

4. police340 thread starter macrumors regular

2016 macbook pro, latest model that this monitor is designed to work with. Apple support was of no help.

5. ihatetoregister macrumors 6502

ihatetoregister

Same issue with both LG4k Ultrafine and my other screen at home via adapter.

6. kb3uru macrumors newbie

kb3uru

Sorry for not phrasing it right, I meant did you have the Toucher version with 4 ports or the NTB with 2

7. police340 thread starter macrumors regular

No, the monitor Apple sells with three extra USB-C ports

8. mgamga macrumors newbie

mgamga

i also have a 15-inch 4-port MacBook Pro late 2016 and the Ultrafine 4K does not return from sleep (although it is detected in Displays). I do have both the laptop power source and the monitor connected because I thought the monitor was unable to power it according to Apple:

“The UltraFine 4K won't fully power a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016), which requires 85W. If you try to charge your 15-inch MacBook Pro through the display, your notebook's battery will be utilized as well. To fully power your MacBook Pro and charge its battery, connect your 15-inch MacBook Pro to its Apple 87W USB-C power adapter when you use it with the UltraFine 4K.”
    --- Post Merged, Dec 22, 2016 ---
    I can confirm that after removing the laptop's power adapter the monitor does come back from sleep. I didn't want to use that port anyway. I will leave the computer on for a while to check how much of the battery is drained after a day.

9. Calipad Suspended

Calipad

Here is what I did to get it to work;

-Select Prevent Computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off
    -Turn off Enable Power Nap
    -Turn off Schedule wake up and sleep

Now it works, it's charging my 2016 rMBP 15" and I am using StarTech 2m 20Gbps cable.