2016 Presidential Debates: First Debate

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Blue Velvet, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Tomorrow night (Mon 26 Sept) in Hempstead, NY at 9:00-10:30pm Eastern Time... Donald Trump v. Hillary Clinton. Lester Holt asks the questions. You get to throw peanuts.

The themes for the night are:

• achieving prosperity
    • securing America and
    • America’s direction

Have at it.

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I'd like to see Frank Booth and Trump debate.

[​IMG]

3. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

4. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

5. zin macrumors 6502

6. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

7. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

It will be boring anyhow since the candidates will just be recycling their talking points no matter what the question is.

The Trump voters will say that he won and the Hillary voters will say that she won and nobody on MR will change their mind.

8. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

I'll pay 50 quatloos on the one who says "I will ask the rich to pay their fair share".

(Which I concede might be loaded, both major candidates have said the same thing...)

9. LizKat, Sep 25, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2016

LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I think you've got that about right. I will be hard pressed to make myself do more than follow someone's real time comments, probably the NYT's.

People who lean towards one of the major candidates seem pretty invested in their dislike of the other candidate this year, even if they're holding their nose to vote for the one they've already picked.

I have a feeling the debates may cause the sorta-undecideds to pick a third party if the major party candidate they were leaning towards really really messes up.

So the question becomes how many of the substantial bunch of undecided voters are completely neutral at this point? LOL MacRumors PRSI is not a good sample on that score...

10. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

Isn't it the same thing every election? Just an embarrassing dog and pony show.

11. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

all trump will have to do is not scream and bitch like a 5 year-old petulant crybaby and say useless talking points with no policy or substance at all and he'll be hailed as the messiah by the media

12. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

But can he do that? That's why the draw will supposedly be like a Super Bowl Sunday...

You're probably right that the bar is set pretty low. LOL what a joke if he still can't cut it.

13. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

this first debate could have a huge sway on the election i think. unfortunately for clinton, i don't think there is anything that is in her control that can help her win. if trump doesn't have any of his asswipe outbursts shes screwed. doesn't matter how articulate on policy she gets because most americans don't care and don't want to care about that

14. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

LOL the great thing about Trump is you just never know when he's going to hand out gifts to his opponents.

Trump needs more votes from suburban women than he's been getting in polling so far. He needs not to come off as a bully, misogynist, xenophobe etc. --since he already has that vote sewn up-- and she needs to look like she's heard all that stuff before anyway if it's directed at her (as opposed to directed at other Americans in which case she should nail him on it). He should definitely not invade her personal space. Rick Lazio did not fare well when he pulled that stunt while running against Clinton for the Senate, so Trump would be well advised not to go there. No doubt Conway and Bannon reminded him to stay at his own podium. Maybe they should leash him.

15. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Any misstep Trump may make will quite possibly be overshadowed by the wail of sirens and the flashing red lights of the rescue chariot that carries away a slightly allergic Hillary.

16. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I think Hillary has the high ground.

Hillary needs to talk as little as possible because the more she opens her mouth, the more people hate her guts. Trump likes to talk so that's a favor to Hillary.

In addition, the more Trump talks, the more he fails fact-check and makes gaffs. Also to Hillary's advantage.

Hillary just needs to shut the hell up and let Trump dig his own hole.

Trump is a slugger, and Hillary can't afford to be because it doesn't play well, especially when Trump is more than willing to walk into his own weaknesses.

17. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

They used to care until Hussien and Hillary caused catastrophic wreckage.

Then instigating the renewed conflicts of race and gender, the anti-police issues, the sad little apologist to world leaders has redirected the focus as only a pathological dolt can do.

If tragedy strikes twice and Hillary is elected, the liberal progressives with be chortling like Basenji's in the night.

#LockHerUp

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Well, hi there, BV. I thought you'd disappeared. But I should have known you would magically reappear for your quadrennial US election thread!

19. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

[QUOTE="maxsix, post: 23597895, member: 974887"...]the sad little apologist to world leaders has redirected the focus as only a pathological dolt can do.[/QUOTE]

Uh yeah, I'm waiting on those pics of The Donald kissing Vladimir's ring.

20. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

All Hillary has to do is not screech like a flying monkey and the liberal media will award her the win.

21. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Perhaps no one will win. How confusing for those who see everything as binary and needing closure.

What I wonder about is what happens to polling when one of them does win. If Clinton wins, do the polls stay the same on the grounds "well of course she won, debate's just not Trump's thing" ??

And if Trump wins, the polls stay the same because... (actually I think the polls would lift for him)

It seems to me Clinton has more to lose than Trump with these debates.

22. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Agreed.

Though keep in mind, Romney damn near decapitated Obama in their first debate, but Obama recovered in the later debates and was obviously re-elected.

Though, everyone loves Obama, and almost no one likes Hillary, so there is an advantage there.

23. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Tell you what. A lot of people are going to miss having Obama in that office. For all I carped about him drifting to the right, I am one of those people, for sure.

On the upcoming debate: How much will facts (or falsehoods) matter?

The moderators seem to get hammered when they do fact-checking on the fly, but the rest of the media seem to think they should at least raise an eyebrow on obvious misstatements. Trump is notorious for making it up as he goes and letting his staff tweet the corrections later if anyone who matters (to him) makes noise about a factual error. So I wonder how this is going to work out on Monday night.

The LA Times had a piece about Trump's penchant for being casual (or "strategic"?) about facts:

Excerpts:

PolitiFact, a Tampa Bay Times site that won a Pulitzer for its coverage of the 2008 election, has rated 70% of the Trump statements it has checked as mostly false, false or “pants on fire,” its lowest score. By contrast, 28% of Clinton’s statements earned those ratings.

====

Marty Kaplan, a professor of entertainment, media and society at USC’s Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism, has two theories on Trump’s falsehoods.

Perhaps he’s just putting on an act, like P.T. Barnum — a “marketer, con, snake-oil salesman who knows better, knows how to get the rubes into the tent.” Or maybe, Kaplan suggested, Trump is just “completely unconstrained by logic, rules, tradition, truth, law.”

“I’m confused,” he said, “whether the whole fact-free zone that he’s in is a strategic calculation or a kind of psychosis.”

24. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

i agree w/ your points but this is all based on if trump talks that way.

25. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Everyone loves Obama. Even people who don't agree with his politics like him.

Hell, I'll admit I really like Obama. It's hard not to like him.

Context,
    Ronald Reagan: January 1981- January 1989 favorability of 52.8%
    Barack Obama: January 2009 - Present average 47%, Current: 51%

That's damn good considering the current divisions in the nation.