2016 Trending toward smaller mens watches 36-40mm. Big is on way out.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by flavr, Oct 1, 2016.

1. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

38 mm is to small for my wrist since I hit the gym everyday, 42mm is the perfect size for most men

2. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

3. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

I want my :apple:Watch to be about a 35mm when on my wrist and immediately expand to 100mm when I look at it.;)

4. JayDH macrumors 6502

Sounds like someone couldn't find the model they wanted in 42mm. Just wait for the one you want and be patient!

5. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

OP googled random articles to make him feel better about his eBay purchase :)

6. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

The 42mm AW is about the same size, "lug-to-lug", as my 38mm Rado. Remember that Apple still measures the AW differently than the rest of the watch industry measures theirs.

7. ericg301, Oct 1, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2016

ericg301 macrumors 6502a

What does that mean? I'm pretty sure your wrists arent enjoying any gainz, no matter how much you go to the gym.

8. off_piste macrumors 6502a

It sounds like someone is a complete follower and can't decide what they want on their own.

9. Luba macrumors 65816

Luba

How does Apple measure it the AW, and how does the watch industry measure it? I'm guessing the issue is square vs round?

10. KPOM macrumors G5

11. myfoneisdank macrumors regular

I wanted a 42mm but couldn't pass up the Best Buy deal. I'm a big guy with big wrists. The 38mm link bracelet just fits with all links on. I think it actually looks like more of a watch in this size. I could just be telling myself that though.

Attached Files:

12. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Pretty much, yeah.

Round watches are typically measured across their diameter, not including the crown. Normal square watches might be measured across their width or diagonally (or simply simply sized as S, M, L, etc).

Apple measures theirs from the top to the bottom, not including any parts of the straps.

Here's my 38mn Rado and 41.5mm Seiko with my 42mm AW:

[​IMG]

13. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I don't really wear my watch for fashion to be honest. Two things came to mind; battery and screen size. I think there are much better looking watches out there anyway.

14. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Hmm.

Looks kinda small on you. Want to trade? Are you local?

15. orbitalpunk macrumors 6502

orbitalpunk

I'm 6ft and prefer the 38mm. Its similar to the size of a Swatch which is 34x39mm and many traditional watches. I wouldn't consider 38mm too small for men. Its not like those really really small women's watches you see. It's more of a style preference. If you used to wear scuba type watches, then 42mm is definitely for you. Every time I saw the 42mm if felt like a little iPad on someones wrist and not a watch. But again, its just style preference and to each his own.

16. Vihzel macrumors 6502

This is just stupid. There is no trend for men's watches to go towards 36-40mm in the smart watch world at all. Nowhere in any of the articles does it say that the trend is going towards 36-40mm. Only mention of it is a statement that Rolex has stayed from 36-40mm for the vast majority of their watches.

17. flavr thread starter macrumors 6502

flavr

http://www.fashionbeans.com/2015/top-mens-watches-trends-2016/

"It’s Time to Downsize
    Remember that trend for watches so big they’d double as your dinner plate? Well, it’s dead. Much like oversized belt buckles, watches that look like they’re on steroids are the cringe-inducing accessory of choice for men desperately trying to make up for shortfalls elsewhere.

“Arnie- and Stallone-style watches [like Sly’s juiced up 47mm Panerai Luminor Marina Submersible in 1996 disaster romp Daylight] are not elegant and feel outdated,” says Sweetenham. “It’s best to stay under 42mm.”

Chalk it up to the fallout from the late noughties’ economic collapse (some say Swiss watchmakers slimmed down their wares at the time in order to appeal to the then booming Chinese market, ultimately discovering smaller isn’t necessarily lesser) or pin it on the changing face of 21st century masculinity, but 2015 was the year small watches hit the big time – from Seiko’s anniversary edition 1967 62GS automatic (just 37.6mm in diameter) to Timex for J.Crew’s exceptionally slender vintage army field watch (36mm).

And 2016 will likely see the trend continue: “A classic dial with traditional batons, a slim case and a leather strap is bang on trend for 2016,” says Matthew Rowell, UK Brand Manager at 88 Rue du Rhone.

“Small is beautiful,” say Jono Holt and Jasmin Powell, co-founder of, and European Retail Manager at, Shore Projects, respectively. “We’ve seen huge demand for smaller watches and are soon to launch a new collection that meets this. It’s not just women who want them; vintage-inspired smaller timepieces are quickly becoming must-owns for men.”

18. Vihzel macrumors 6502

And it's applicable to smart watches where it actually needs to do more than just tell time and date?

19. BorderingOn macrumors 6502

The fashion industry has a pretty huge incentive to cycle things in and out of style. Be your own person and buy what you like.

20. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

Most people dont, but you can workout your wrist.

21. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

My wrists are not small, I had to buy longer 3rd party bands on Amazon just to wear my 38mm. When I tried both watch sizes at the Apple store, besides the small bands on the 38mm, I didn't have a preference between the two. They are both easily readable and input friendly. The only difference is the battery and price.

22. pkahleeb macrumors regular

pkahleeb

The 38mm bands just seem much smaller than the 42mm. I think they assume bigger wrists will always get the the bigger watch. While I do not like the 38mm size for myself, I can understand some do and it would be nice if Apple had longer bands for those who wanted the smaller watch.

23. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

It looks perfect on you. 42mm would be too big.