2017 13” battery drain quick?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Billburns, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Billburns macrumors 6502

Billburns

so it’s basically brand new with 2 counts on the battery. I have the brightness pretty low and the battery has drained 6% from 100%-94% in about 7 minutes..

Is this normal?

Kinda freaking me out

2. JustinRP37 macrumors regular

JustinRP37

If it has two counts on the battery, it probably still isn't fully calibrated. Try using the battery. I often get 6-8 hours on battery using mine with lots of open programs and at least a few of those hours connected to a projector. The battery life really isn't 10 hours for me unless it is JUST a Word document. Overall though, I am impressed with the battery.

Edit: 2016 15 inch MBP

3. Billburns thread starter macrumors 6502

Billburns

Ok I’ll use it for a few days and see what’s up, just really scared me

4. JustinRP37 macrumors regular

JustinRP37

Don't worry. You can get Battery Health 3 or a few other battery apps to see the health of the battery. Mine hovers between 97 and 104% with 65 cycles.

5. Jamalogo10 macrumors member

Jamalogo10

Same thing happened to me. I was using Coconut battery and it showed a misread of 20% the first week but eventually started showing a normal reading. I think you'll be fine.

6. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

It's not abnormal because the reporting itself is not always accurate. After a few cycles of normal usage, if the battery indicator is still going wild, you could try resetting the SMC.

It won't hurt to pay attention to your actual runtimes (relative to what work you are doing) to get an idea of what your baseline runtime is - you can note the runtime as well as the screen settings, power settings, and Apps being used. Should you feel the runtime is decreasing several months or a year from now faster than is expected, you have a baseline to compare this to. If that baseline time is wildly off (and I mean wildly, given how much variation there is based on usage) from what others may get with somewhat similar settings, that could be an indicator of an issue. But at this point I wouldn't worry too much if it were me, personally.