iPad Pro 2017 iPad Pro 12.9" becoming randomly unresponsive?

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
I looked into this before making this post and there there were various solutions to this in https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View...touchscreen+is+unresponsive+from+time+to+time

Unfortunately none of them seemed to solve the problem for me. I am running the latest version of iOS.

I love my 2017 iPad Pro and since it generally works fine I have had zero need to upgrade it just for smaller bezels and FaceID (or for making my Apple Pencil 1st gen a paperweight).

The problem I am having is the touchscreen becomes unresponsive in some very specific situations. It is most obvious when typing on the virtual keyboard. I use the virtual keyboard because adding a real keyboard would make the device too heavy. When it is unresponsive, some keys will just refuse to output anything and I have to hit them several times for the touch to register.

This seems to occur especially if I am sitting in a chain and have the iPad Pro on my lap, in landscape, bottom edge resting against my belly, propped up a bit on my leg. Orientation does not seem to matter.

It can also occur just when it is on a table, propped up slightly with the Smart cover folded. I have tried Smart cover removed as well, has no effect. Swiping (e.g. scrolling a website) can also become unresponsive in this situation.

Is this a hardware fault? It seems completely random and I tried to check if my iPad is bent but nope, seems completely straight.

Harlandos

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2019
I have this issue also. Although I find the issue is intermittent and the unresponsive issue resolves after a few seconds. Really frustrating, keen to establish if this is a common issue. Am using the 12.9 iPad Pro 2nd generation.

sracer

macrumors G3
Apr 9, 2010
Prescott Valley, AZ
This issue is somewhat common to both the 1st and 2nd gen 12.9 Pro. It started happening to my 1st gen after about 2 years and I ended up trading it in. It is prevalent enough that some Best Buys incorporated a check specifically for that behavior when trading one in.

Girlsmouth

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2019
I looked into this before making this post and there there were various solutions to this in https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View...touchscreen+is+unresponsive+from+time+to+time

Unfortunately none of them seemed to solve the problem for me. I am running the latest version of iOS.

I love my 2017 iPad Pro and since it generally works fine I have had zero need to upgrade it just for smaller bezels and FaceID (or for making my Apple Pencil 1st gen a paperweight).

The problem I am having is the touchscreen becomes unresponsive in some very specific situations. It is most obvious when typing on the virtual keyboard. I use the virtual keyboard because adding a real keyboard would make the device too heavy. When it is unresponsive, some keys will just refuse to output anything and I have to hit them several times for the touch to register.

This seems to occur especially if I am sitting in a chain and have the iPad Pro on my lap, in landscape, bottom edge resting against my belly, propped up a bit on my leg. Orientation does not seem to matter.

It can also occur just when it is on a table, propped up slightly with the Smart cover folded. I have tried Smart cover removed as well, has no effect. Swiping (e.g. scrolling a website) can also become unresponsive in this situation.

Is this a hardware fault? It seems completely random and I tried to check if my iPad is bent but nope, seems completely straight.
It’s a common issue.
Worst iPad ever made for screen issues

DamonOrl

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2020
Happens with the 10.5” as well. Mine was virtually unusable all day yesterday and earlier today. Works perfect with the Apple Pencil. But I don’t want to use a stylus...

I restored several hours ago and it seems better, but still not good enough.

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
My 2nd gen. 12.9" iPad suffered from this. It got so bad I couldn't even use it anymore. I eventually used Apple's trade-in program to get an Apple gift card for it. Not ideal but better than nothing.

DamonOrl

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2020
Happens with the 10.5” as well. Mine was virtually unusable all day yesterday and earlier today. Works perfect with the Apple Pencil. But I don’t want to use a stylus...

I restored several hours ago and it seems better, but still not good enough.
It’s been a few days since I restored. Haven’t had any issues...yet. May just be coincidence considering previously I’d go days without issue.

Reactions: kenshiro
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.