Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

2017 MBP constantly shuts down and Apple won't resolve

bowwowmeowmeow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2020
I purchased a new 2017 MBP in March 2018 for $1300 and within 2 months was having issues with it shutting down or restarting on its own. Took it to the Genius Bar in May 2018 and they replaced the logic board. Still had the issue and a month later in June 2018 they replaced the logic board again. Still had the issue off and on and would bring it in for an appointment several more times, but they'd say they couldn't reproduce the issue. I got fed up again in Feb 2020, less than 2 years later, and they still wouldn't replace it, even after talking my way as far up the chain as I could. Their only solution? You guessed it. Replace the logic board, this time for $500. What should I do?

I posted the issue with documentation on Twitter.

sdp77

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2019
Do you have AppleCare?
How long since the last repair?

Sorry, I just read your post on Twitter. So, between 6/18 and 2/19 you never took it back?

Last edited:

bowwowmeowmeow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2020
I took it back several times after 6/18, but they could never reproduce its random shutdowns, so they wouldn’t do any repairs. I don’t have AppleCare.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.