Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
The Dodgers are the first team since 1912 to register 43 wins in a 50 game stretch in a single season since 1912. Sadly - I was in the park for this milestone yesterday but as a Mets fan. It was an exciting game though, 15 hits and 9 of them went over the wall. The game started fast - 3 HR's by the Mets in the first, then they fell flat offensively.

they are really good.

i hope they lose so badly...

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
They have been dysfunctional ever since Francona was fired.

And color me shocked. Cheating must run in the city of Boston. :p

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I know the red sox are leading the division but regardless of that, I think Farrell has to go. I think overall the Red Sox seem so dysfunctional, and are a hairs breath to spinning out of control

Firing Farrell would rank up there with a World Series win.

I have no idea why he is still with the Red Sox.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
Incredible. The Indians and Diamondbacks are on hot winning streaks. The Dodgers are faltering in a way that reminds me of the 2011 season Red Sox and Braves....

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Judge has gotten his swing back at the right time with him tying and then breaking the major league rookie HR record with him now sitting at 50 HR’s. He may have lost MVP due to his July-August slump, but he should still get ROY.

Centaurr

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2015
Florida
****Breaking News****

NY Mets manager Terry Collins steps down
we need new blood even on the mgr. chair...

Last edited:

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
****Breaking News****

NY Mets coach Terry Collins steps down
we need new blood even on the coaches chair...

I think the writing was on the wall. One way or another he was not going to be renewed for next year. Time for a new manager, new training staff and maybe convince some guys to call it a career that have been holding the team back from signing a quality player for their position (as much as I like him and think he's still a GREAT influence in the clubhouse I'm looking at Wright here).

Now the question becomes - who fills that role? Joe McEwing has been mentioned, Fonzie is managing in Brooklyn (within the organization already). Pitching coach? Frank Viola has been doing a FANTASTIC job within the organization, maybe a promotion to the majors is in order.

Centaurr

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2015
Florida
I think the writing was on the wall. One way or another he was not going to be renewed for next year. Time for a new manager, new training staff and maybe convince some guys to call it a career that have been holding the team back from signing a quality player for their position (as much as I like him and think he's still a GREAT influence in the clubhouse I'm looking at Wright here).

time to rebuild. i think he felt too much pressure since we where in the world series 2 yrs back so he wasnt consistent, we went back down in the standings. its kinda funny cuase my favorite soccer team in europe also just dumped their coach

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
time to rebuild. i think he felt too much pressure since we where in the world series 2 yrs back so he wasnt consistent, we went back down in the standings. its kinda funny cuase my favorite soccer team in europe also just dumped their coach
The Mets need a new front office. Can’t fault Terry for a slew of injuries. The organization wanted him gone years ago but he kept the team afloat longer than it should have.

Reactions: Centaurr

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Surprise, surprise, the Rockies actually made the playoffs after 6 straight losing seasons! I don't think we'll beat Arizona, but who knows, maybe it will be another Rocktober!

Reactions: pachyderm

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Surprise, surprise, the Rockies actually made the playoffs after 6 straight losing seasons! I don't think we'll beat Arizona, but who knows, maybe it will be another Rocktober!

i hate most of the teams in the NL play off ...

All of the teams from the west especially...

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
One and done games always scare me. Glad the Yankees won and if we get past Cleveland watch out.

Centaurr

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2015
Florida
News Update::

NY Mets fire Head trainer and the pitching coach. looks like they are cleaning out the house. #RebuildMode #NextYearWillBeInjuryFree

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
News Update::

NY Mets fire Head trainer and the pitching coach. looks like they are cleaning out the house. #RebuildMode #NextYearWillBeInjuryFree

To be fair - Warthen was going to be on the bubble anyway, it's possible the incoming manager (whoever it is, though Alex Cora seems to be a front runner and I'd be OK with that) would have wanted a change. Considering the injuries, it's about time they make changes with the training staff.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I can't believe that MLB lets Angel Hernandez call playoff games! Technology has proven that calling balls and strikes is difficult for anyone, because so many pitches are called incorrectly. But, Halo Hernandez is the worst! Don't they do performance evaluations for the umpires? They should weed out the guys who wouldn't know a ball if in hit them in the head. "Stee-riikke! Four - oh wait, two - double vision, you know." If they can do a decent job on the bases, let 'em skip home plate duty, or demote the really bad ones to the minor leagues. Players get sent down, why not umpires? This guy is just horrible, and everyone knows it!

Reactions: Plutonius

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Yeah well being at home better make the Indians feel better or that's the end of it, only even sooner than last year. Have bats and gloves, but can't travel? I might really have to burn my Cleveland hat this year... Kluber better have it together on Wednesday. And the Indians on the field can't afford another night like last night.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
So the Red Sox fire Farrell.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/10/red-sox-fire-john-farrell.html

I don't get it. Reason why Red Sox keep getting eliminated in the postseason or not making it period has had nothing to do with Farrell mismanaging the team really. Sale disappeared and struggled in the second half, Price was injured a lot and disappeared last postseason and just returned from injury before the postseason. Panda was a bad signing all around. Farrell was just the sacrificial lamb in this. I think the only thing Farrell could have done better is try keep the players in line a bit better( referencing the Price incident with one of the NESN broadcasters). It still feels like the team is still a lot like it was after the collapse and the aftermath of the Tito firing.

Speaking of manager firings..... There is some talk about not wanting to retain Girardi if he decides he still wants to manage and come back to the Yankees after not reviewing the play that lead them to blowing Game 2. Guy makes one mistake( costly none the less) this whole season, and people want him gone? He has managed the Yankees wonderfully the past few years getting performance from players that lead to the team playing better than they should have. We should not have been where we are now this year. Granted that west coast trip back in June most likely cost us the division, but one mistake should not mean putting Girardi's head on a stake.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.