2017 or 2019 27”

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ratherbfishn, Jun 24, 2019.

1. ratherbfishn macrumors newbie

Looking at new 2017 imac 27 3.8 i5 base configured on sale for $1699 ($600 off). Would that be a good way to go (plus 3rd party ram) or is a 2019 model a better idea?

I’d prefer a 512 ssd internal for speed, but it comes w the fusion drive. This might be the deal breaker for me since I saw the improvement internal ssd made on my old iMac.

Reading differing opinions about heat on 2017’s. Is this one of the hot, fan-on-all-the-time configurations?

Use: I don’t video edit. Family leaves a million web pages open on different browsers. We play with adobe stuff sometimes on photos. -Occasional hobbyist. Light user? Will need windows either boot camp or parallels, etc. New territory for us.

I keep iMacs as long as possible. My 2011 iMac is about toasted.

Deal or no deal? Recommendations/alternatives appreciated.

Thanks

2. Zdigital2015 macrumors 65816

2019...I keep looking at them because I love a good deal, but I cannot bring myself to spend any more money on just 4 cores in an age of 6-, 8- and soon 10-core (Comet Lake-S) desktop CPUs. Just me though. And Fusion is okay, but I want SSD in my next iMac.

3. ratherbfishn thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Zdig. Another thought. The 1st thing to go on my previous two iMacs was the hard drive. I replaced them both, actually 2x on the 2011...replaced w/ a hd then a ssd. Three hd failures total. Seems this design isn’t DIY friendly, at least not in my hands.

4. Zdigital2015 macrumors 65816

The HDD in my Mid 2010 27" iMac is dying, I have to retrieve it and copy the data off of it that I can before it completely goes, nothing critical, just pictures and such. It started giving me issues in 2016, so 6 years isn't bad. The 2.5" HDD in my 2011 Mac mini is throwing up errors..I did find a SMART issue. So another six years and out...so that being said, my Late 2013 iMac has a 3TB Fusion that I keep hearing a hollow sound coming out of the hard drive, so I'm keeping up on backups and such, hopefully, it won't go, but 6 years seems about right. In which case I then have a decision...install a 2.5" SSD and swap a larger PCIe SSD or move to a 2019 iMac with SSD only.

No, the iMac is not DIY friendly...I wish they would give us a more accessible chassis, but Apple.

5. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

If you do get the base model at a big discount, you can get "internal SSD speeds" from an EXTERNAL boot drive by buying a Samsung X5 (X5, NOT the t5), and setting it up to become the boot drive.

They are modestly expensive, however.

6. propower macrumors 6502a

Been running the 2017 i5 3.8 (with internal SSD) for 2+ years as a pro audio machine. Fantastic computer. Like said above - add an X5 512GB for $250 as a boot drive. $1699 is a very good price. Of course Hex cores can do more and the i9 way more. But value wise the 3.8 is a decent but at this price.