2018 13" MBP - what is growing out of my MBP chassis?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cman-uk, Jul 20, 2019.

1. cman-uk macrumors regular

Hi all,

Can anybody identify what is edging its way outside :eek: of my MBP chassis? :confused:

It seems like a combination of copper and felt... is coming out the underside left (and you type on it) via gaps that seem to be extremely tight! Worrying to think what might be happening inside.....:eek:o_O

What is located in this area?

0.png

1.png

2.png

3.png

Spec:

Screenshot 2019-07-20 at 16.20.32.png

My 12 month coverage runs out in 12 days so I will need to get it to Apple, ASAP.

Any ideas or pointers much appreciated....

2. cman-uk thread starter macrumors regular

3. torana355 macrumors 68040

4. RobbieTT macrumors 6502

RobbieTT

It's just the metallic gasket, so just a cosmetic issue. The glue is quite soft so it can creep if fitted slightly misaligned, but this also means that it can be eased back into shape with no difficulty after removing the cover plate.

A bit of mine was protruding slightly from the side vents on my 2018 from delivery. As everything else was perfect I just accepted it and corrected it myself. I take the cover off every few months for a maintenance clean anyway.

5. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

If it's still under warranty, take it back and let them look at it.
    Even if it's out-of-warranty, take it in, anyway.

6. cman-uk thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting. Any idea what causes this to happen? Heat, or...?
    --- Post Merged, Jul 21, 2019 ---
    Thanks. I called them yesterday, a "high priority" incident has been raised (I guess they tell this to all customers). They have the same photos per the OP. It will take 48hrs for them to respond. I suspect they will simply suggest I take it into a store.

7. cman-uk thread starter macrumors regular

Well the awaited 48hr response was as per expected: take it in to a store.

I guess it means in order to investigate, they will keep the machine for a number of days... I hope not weeks.

I really don't want a reconditioned unit if they find a fault. Either my one back in pristine condition or a brand new (retail) unit.

Anyone been in a similar position (inside of the first 12 months)?
    If so, what happened in your case?

8. chrfr macrumors 604

Apple will repair your Mac, not replace it, so you don't need to worry about that.

9. cman-uk thread starter macrumors regular

Great, that's a relief. It's been no trouble other than this, and judging by other documented issues, it's perhaps safer to get my machine back, rather than an 'unknown quantity'!