Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Hi guys.

Whats going to seperate these 2 devices?

X already has an OLED screen.
Already has FaceID.
Is already 5.8”.
Can run iOS12.
Same pixel density.

Maybe theyve ironed out some OLED limitations and added an extra GB of ram.. is that really worth paying $300-$500 more?

Opinions?

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
The 2018 iPhone may be cheaper than the current X with upgraded components like LTE modem and antenna and may be up to 4GB RAM. The Plus size may be the same price as the current X. These may be rumored but we will know when it is announce next month.

Reactions: kkh786 and -BigMac-

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I’m not sure what you’re talking about. The new X will likely be cheaper and feature upgraded internals, a better camera, and likely some screen enhancements such as ProMotion. If you don’t like the upgrades, don’t buy it.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I’m not sure what you’re talking about. The new X will likely be cheaper and feature upgraded internals, a better camera, and likely some screen enhancements such as ProMotion. If you don’t like the upgrades, don’t buy it.

What’s ProMotion?

Superhappytree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
Cumbria
4GB RAM, the usual processor improvements, further improvements to the display and cameras but ProMotion is the only feature I can think of that would get me to upgrade. That and the 4GB of RAM. If they don’t include ProMotion then I’m not sure it would be enough of an upgrade from last year otherwise but I heard the bezels will also be slightly slimmed down this year.

rdy0329

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2012
It's not meant for 2017 iPhone X buyers though. More likely aimed for upgraders and hold outs.

-Lower starting price
-10% faster A12 (but more battery efficient)
-4GB RAM
-better cameras
-better screen (ProMotion?)
-Some advanced feature that REQUIRES the A12 chip to function.
-Faster charger bundled

Reactions: -BigMac-

Superhappytree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
Cumbria
It's not meant for 2017 iPhone X buyers though. More likely aimed for upgraders and hold outs.

-Lower starting price
-10% faster A12 (but more battery efficient)
-4GB RAM
-better cameras
-better screen (ProMotion?)
-Some advanced feature that REQUIRES the A12 chip to function.
-Faster charger bundled

Yeah there has to be some other feature to hook potential buyers. The usual spec bumps won’t work in 2018 like they did in the past because the current phones many users have are plenty “good enough” so they won’t be able justify it.

For example; we had the equivalent to the iPhone X with the iPhone 4 redesign (that phone had so many industry firsts I upgraded without even thinking about it) which was followed up by the 4S with Siri being the headline selling feature. Then with the 5S we had TouchID, 6S we had 3D Touch... what about the second gen X? There needs to be that unique killer feature to “hook” the average consumer who would otherwise not upgrade if it was just the typical ‘S’ spec bump improvements. ProMotion is the only thing I can think of at this point, even if the average user won’t really know what that means but at least it’s something Apple can highlight that separates it from the original X.

Last edited:

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
Hi guys.

Already has FaceID.
Is already 5.8”.
Can run iOS12.
Same pixel density.

Maybe theyve ironed out some OLED limitations and added an extra GB of ram.. is that really worth paying $300-$500 more?

Opinions?

It will be an S improvement but since the X was considered ahead of it's time the gap will be a little extra small in performance.

Things we will probably get:

- A12 I'd guess 15-20% faster given 7nm process and say 10% battery life improvement.
- The modem. Well get a 1 SKU device with a modem that will get you better speed and very likely better coverage if you are in a low coverage area. the modems last year sucked
- Better camera
- 4GB ram
- USB C charger instead of USB
- Price drop of 100-200 lower than the X.

Things we might get that would be slightly bigger differentiators.

- Promotion for 120 hz scalable refresh rate.

The plus version will likely have much better battery life given it's size and if you already have the X I think the case for upgrading would be super low.

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Who knows? In just over a month Apple will answer this question for you.
True. but thats what these forums are for, speculation :p
[doublepost=1533532606][/doublepost]
Never said I will buy it tbh. I was simply asking if the forum members consider the current speculated improvements to be worthy upgrades. Thanks for the hostility! :)

blaugrana69

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
The increments in the 5.8 are what interest me. I have a X, don’t think I want to return to a Plus size phone, however from what I’m reading I’m not sure there’s going to be enough reason to upgrade. Although I say that most years around this time..

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
What’s ProMotion?

As of now, its a feature exclusive to the iPad Pro. It automatically adjusts the display to the movement of the content with refresh rates of up to 120Hz for more fluid scrolling, greater responsiveness and smoother flowing motion content.

Some are wanting to see this feature migrated to the iPhone, if it does, I think I could see this being exclusive to the 6.5 iPhone X.

Reactions: mjschabow

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
As of now, its a feature exclusive to the iPad Pro. It automatically adjusts the display to the movement of the content with refresh rates of up to 120Hz for more fluid scrolling, greater responsiveness and smoother flowing motion content.

Some are wanting to see this feature migrated to the iPhone, if it does, I think I could see this being exclusive to the 6.5 iPhone X.

I sure hope not, but Apple are the type of *******s to do it like that. It would be a good differentiator for iPhone X vs the cheaper 6.1" iPhone. For myself I could see 120 Hz refresh rate being the difference between buying 2018 iPhone X vs buying a used 2017 iPhone X.

democracyrules

Suspended
Nov 18, 2016
Hi guys.

Already has FaceID.
Is already 5.8”.
Can run iOS12.
Same pixel density.

Opinions?
The incoming iPhone releases will be “s” cycle improvements as the releases are the spawns or second generation of the original iPhone X. The iPhone X will have bigger and same size spawns with slight or non major upgrade. For the larger. ( plus) spawn, it might have 1GB more RAM to complement with the larger size, which is less than 1 inch. No radical design changes as the spawns will keep the “X” design. The “S” cycle is coming soon.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
True. but thats what these forums are for, speculation :p
[doublepost=1533532606][/doublepost]
Never said I will buy it tbh. I was simply asking if the forum members consider the current speculated improvements to be worthy upgrades. Thanks for the hostility! :)

Not hostile, you're just not making sense. You asked if the expected improvements were worth $300-$500 more. So you're expecting the new X to start at $1,300-$1,500? Once you create that narrative, it comes off as just a way to bash Apple and their high prices, when the opposite is expected this year. Are forum members excited about improvements to the existing X at a lesser cost? Sure, why wouldn't we be?
[doublepost=1533554011][/doublepost]
What’s ProMotion?

120Hz refresh rate, makes everything on the screen super smooth when scrolling, etc. They introduced it in the iPad Pro. I am hoping they bring it to the iPhone, but not sure it will happen.

Reactions: FFR and -BigMac-

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
If you bought a 2017 iPhone X, it's simply not going to make sense to buy the 2018 version of the iPhone X. You paid $1,000 plus for the 2017 version - use it for a other year, then sell it in 2019 to fund part of the purchase of your next phone. Better yet, use it for two more years.
[doublepost=1533561096][/doublepost]
There needs to be that unique killer feature to “hook” the average consumer who would otherwise not upgrade if it was just the typical ‘S’ spec bump improvements.

The "average consumer" is still using a 6, 6s or 7

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Hearing what people think might be in the new X, it sounds like a typical "S" cycle upgrade. Pretty easy to figure out for yourself if it was worth upgrading from a 5 to 5S or 6 to 6S.

Superhappytree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
Cumbria
The "average consumer" is still using a 6, 6s or 7

Yeah that’s my point. They aren’t going to upgrade to the new X’s if there isn’t a big enough feature to justify it. They would probably upgrade to the previous gen X if they were going to which would be more down in price.

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
Oled displays can't support Promotion 120hz....the newest oled tech we have today and hopefully into the next iphones, is Oled 90hz
that's an interesting comment.

Why are large OLED screens on Tvs at 120 mHz yet you are saying a small 6 inch display it's not possible. Makes no sense. Are you just making stuff up?

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Oled displays can't support Promotion 120hz....the newest oled tech we have today and hopefully into the next iphones, is Oled 90hz

Source? As another member alluded to, there are OLED TVs I believe support 12OHZ. So why would not a smart phone be able to support that?

Superhappytree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
Cumbria
that's an interesting comment.

Why are large OLED screens on Tvs at 120 mHz yet you are saying a small 6 inch display it's not possible. Makes no sense. Are you just making stuff up?
Source? As another member alluded to, there are OLED TVs I believe support 12OHZ. So why would not a smart phone be able to support that?

I think what he means is that no OLED smartphone currently has a 120Hz refresh rate, the Asus ROG is the only OLED phone that does but it’s only 90Hz. As you both pointed out though I don’t see why this isn’t possible as it already is with OLED TV’s so it’s not like it’s some technical limitation.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
really? there are limitation ...you see oled tv 120hz but still
Today, 120Hz OLEDs are a great improvement over 60Hz OLEDs, However, this is only a lowering of 16.7ms persistence (1/60sec MPRT) to 8.3ms persistence (1/120sec MPRT). This only halves the motion blur of 60Hz sample-and-hold. To achieve full plasma and CRT equivalence, will require 1ms to 2ms MPRT persistence.
So for smartphone, 90hz Oled are the highest standard...s dont expect iphones with promotion 120hz...maybe in 2020

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
I think the difference will be like the 7 was to the 6s, incremental. This is my opinion but I think you really need to wait 2-3 years to see any real difference in terms of features. Heck this design could be around as long as the iPhone 6’s was all the way to the 8.

Part of me thinks Apple will keep the iPhone 2018 5.8 “ at iPhone X 2017 pricing with the Plus for an extra $100. Leaving the 6.1 at $799. You will have $1,100 for the plus, $1000 for the 5.8 and $799 for the 6.1”. This way they can still charge the high prices and offer a cheaper option for others. Apple will sell crap loads of the 6.1 “ model.

I don’t think the bezels will get smaller. I think Apples will have these 3 rumoured sizes for next 3-4 years as they work on the next major redesign.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.