2018 8GB Mac mini self upgradeable to 32GB??

techno-Zen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
Hello. I just wanted to confirm that if I buy the 8GB model that it is self upgradable? I know it's a little more work than in the past.. but I'm definitely going the crucial.com route

Thank you.

russell_314

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Thank you!
If you're comfortable with taking apart laptops it's not so bad. Be very careful disconnecting plugs because they're easy to break. The memory is "not user upgradeable" according to Apple but I think that's because it's not easy. My advice is watch the video all the way through then while you're doing it. Don't get in a rush or impatient. Do it one step at a time and then double check each step. I upgraded mine and it has no issues.

yukari

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Just upgraded mine a few days ago. Not difficult at all. Took me about 15 min. Just be careful with the cables.

Reactions: tagumcity

techno-Zen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
If you're comfortable with taking apart laptops it's not so bad. Be very careful disconnecting plugs because they're easy to break. The memory is "not user upgradeable" according to Apple but I think that's because it's not easy. My advice is watch the video all the way through then while you're doing it. Don't get in a rush or impatient. Do it one step at a time and then double check each step. I upgraded mine and it has no issues.
Yeah. I'm not too worried about the task. I am in IT I just didn't know if Apple for whatever reason soldered in the RAM on the 8GB model

Reactions: russell_314

Adapsys

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2009
Apple will upgrade the RAM in store if you have a spare £950! Yes, that really is what they quoted me!

tagumcity

macrumors regular
May 11, 2015
Scottsdale, Arizona
I installed 32 GB promptly, the motherboard took “a little push” to break loose and slide out. I “filleted” my thumb but all is well and I’m good to go! Eventually I’ll add Noctua thermal compound but there is no hurry to do so based on the research. I’m “all in” on the Mac mini and plan to add a eGPU and M.2 external drive.

MikeGS3

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2018
London, England
Did the upgrade myself too. In total I went through the whole procedure about 6 times, as my initial 2 x 16GB RAM sticks from Crucial were faulty.

So even though the cable connections are delicate, they survived 6 goes. So as long as you get the right tools, set yourself up comfortably and take your time, you should be all good. I followed the I fix it guide too.

Reactions: tagumcity