2018 MacBook Pro 15” too heavy for travel?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kevjen888, May 26, 2019.

1. kevjen888 macrumors 6502a

I’m going on a trip to Asia soon, contemplating whether I should bring my 15” MBP or buy an iPad to bring for the trip. Purpose of this device will be movie watching on the flights and web browsing at hotels. Currently I do not own any iPads. Any suggestions?

2. joel_w macrumors newbie

It's more big than heavy IMO, although charger adds some weight. I wouldn't have any problems bringing a 15" MBP on a vacation personally, unless I was expecting to be travelling very long distances on foot.

If your purpose is entertainment only, then the iPad is probably the better device to take, especially if you really want to travel light, although any cheap tablet will do what you want.

3. Costino1 macrumors 6502a

Costino1

Not at all.

Im a proud owner of one and sometimes marvel at the fact that it's as thin as my iPhone X...its crazy. Very light too and portable.

4. kp98077 macrumors 6502

kp98077

Not at all! I’d rather have to much than too little. I took my iPad Pro on a long trip and no laptop didn’t work for me. I had to still access files, so online forms etc. easier on the pro IMO.

5. UncleBillVT macrumors newbie

From what I hear, some people are being asked to unlock their devices for customs upon return. Perhaps a new device without a lot of your files on it makes sense.

6. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    My current strategy for travel is to take along my 12" MacBook and an iPad Mini 5. In the past I had tried going solo with a 10.5 iPad and there were times when I really, really wished that I had a laptop with me. I like using the iPad, too, on trips, though, and when the iPad Mini 5 came out this spring I decided to go with one of those for casual use during travel and it works out just fine. The 12" MB is thin and light, great for trips, and does things that I need when away from home -- an ideal travel companion. The larger 15" MBP and the larger 12.9" iPad Pro stay at home.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've been using 15" for years and love the form factor. I've never had issues with mobility

8. kevjen888 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Took advantage of Rakuten’s Memorial Day 15% off everything discount and scored a iPad Mini 5 WiFi model for $339 plus CA tax. I think it’ll be a perfect complement to my 15” MBP.

9. duervo macrumors 68020

duervo

Just web browsing and watching movies? Sounds like you made the right choice.

10. turbineseaplane macrumors 601

turbineseaplane

lol - I used to travel all over with my 17" PowerBook G4

Makes me chuckle that anyone would even ask if the any of the current laptops are too big for travel.
    :)

I still miss 17" Mac laptops now that I think about it.

11. duervo macrumors 68020

duervo

10 Years Later ...

“Hey guys, what do you think of the new 12oz 15” MacBook XS Pro? Is it too heavy to carry around? I’m planning on using it for in-flight entertainment, but I don’t want to break my back when having to walk when needed. Thoughts?”

12. ssmed macrumors 6502

ssmed

Problems / problems: remember when the old powerbooks weighed at least 50% more and were really thick and the battery lasted about 2 hours. Having said that the new 13 inch is the sweet spot for me for travelling. I have never broken a computer when away – I have completely wrecked an iPad dropping if face down on a cobbled pavement.

13. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Back in the day, although I’m a fairly petite woman, I traveled with a 17” MBP and it was great for the purpose it was serving, and since we were traveling by car, no big hassle. I also in the past at different times have traveled with a 15” MBP, too. 13” MBP or 13” MBA were pressed into service for traveling as well. Now years have passed, I’m a bit older and the weight of everything matters more to me. I’m very happy to have the lightweight, slim and sleek 2017 12” MB and the small iPad Mini 5 as my current travel companions.....

14. pshufd macrumors 6502a

I currently carry a 2014 15 and a 2015 15 in my backpack. No big deal. 18 years ago I used to carry an Inspiron 4000 and an Inspiron 4100. They were eight pounds each. No big deal. My 2008 MBP 17 is 8+ pounds too.

Deadlifts, Shoulder Press, Bench Press, Squats - good barbell exercises to help keep you fit into your 60s.

15. Infinite Vortex macrumors regular

Infinite Vortex

I wouldn't want to go travelling with an MBP 15" of any kind. Even the MBP 13" is more than enough of a consideration. Don't forget that you're not only carrying about the laptop but the charger and other things. Personally, if you can get away with just an iPad then go with the iPad.

16. PeterJP macrumors 6502

PeterJP

The longer your trip is, the less you should take. I suggest you take a large screen smartphone only if it's just for movies and browsing. If you're into photography (like I am), the possibilities of wifi sync and mobile lightroom are way beyond what I could muster with any laptop 20 years ago. Travel light and enjoy the scenery instead of enjoying the equipment!

17. leman macrumors G3

I would get an iPad honestly. The 15" is fine in terms of mobility (although nowadays there are mich more mobile options), but I wouldn't drag it around just as a multimedia device. Not only its a total overkill for your intended but its also an expensive device that I would not take with me on a holiday... especially if you are moving around and changing hotels.

18. jerryk macrumors 601

Interesting question.

I have a 2018 15 Mbp and just bought an 11 iPad pro for travelling. I find the 15 too heavy and bulky. The iPad is slim and fits more easily into my luggage.

19. kis macrumors 68000

I carry mine around all day, it’s not heavy. Bulky maybe - but that can be remedied with a decent backpack. I’d recommend the North Face Borealis line for travel

20. ascender macrumors 68020

ascender

I don't think its too heavy at all, but I do find it a bit of a pain to use in confined spaces. i.e. on the train/plane if you're using one of those flip down tables. If you're at a large table or are in first class travel, its absolutely fine, but I'll be honest, I found it tiresome in quite a lot of scenarios. To be honest, even when sitting working next to someone in a coffee shop for example, it takes up a lot of room compared to a 13 when you've also maybe got papers with you and a coffee etc.

But that large screen is stunning, so its all about priorities I guess.

21. psingh01 macrumors 65816

I’ve travelled with the old 17” MBP. The current 15” is definitely not too heavy to travel with. That said, the iPad is perfect for what you want. I’ve travelled with only an iPad before and it was great. I’d do the same now with just a large iPhone!