2018 MBP doesn't fully sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by patwithamac, Aug 14, 2018.

1. patwithamac, Aug 14, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2018

patwithamac macrumors member

I've noticed that my new 2018 15" MBP doesn't stay asleep after I put it to sleep. Not really.

Let me explain.
    I've been watching the 2018 Bridge-OS Kernel Panic threads with interest. I haven't experienced a Kernel Panic myself (yet). But, it got me thinking... I wonder if my 2018 MBP is awaking while sleeping, like some of those who have reported that they come back to their MBP after it's been asleep for awhile, only to find it had crashed.

So, I set up a little test to see if my MBP is waking up even tho it's supposed to be asleep. What I've found suggests that it is indeed NOT staying asleep.

First, I made sure to go into Settings->Energy Saver and ensure that "Enable power nap..." is NOT turned on.

Then, just before I go to bed for the evening, I open a terminal windows and run this short little shell script;
    while [ "1" ] ; do date ; sleep 10 ; done

What I found is that my MBP is waking up every two hours, for anywhere between 30 - 60 seconds.... To do what, I'm not sure. But, when I wake up in the morning, and open the lid, I find that the output in the terminal window is all quiet until exactly two hours after I closed the lid. At exactly the two hour mark, the date/time is output a few times (anywhere from 3 to 6 times), and then all quiet again for exactly two hours again. This continues to repeat all night, and until I open the lid.

Looking at the system log, it seems there are a number of things going on when it awakes each time, after two hours. Thinks like; checking mail, updating the system wall clock time, turning on Thunderbolt ports, turning on USB ports, turning on the audio port, to name just a few.

I wonder if anyone else has noticed this too?
    So, is this something different than Power nap?
    Or this really a Power nap thing, and there's a bug in the Settings page (even tho I've disabled Power nap, it's not really disabled)?

BTW... So far, my new 2018 MBP seems to be working flawlessly in every other respect (knock wood).

2018 15" MPB core i9 32GB 2TB

2. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

I believe this is when the location data for Find My Mac is sent to the cloud, along with some other admin tasks.

3. Populus macrumors 6502a

Populus

OP could disable Find my Mac and the location services to see if it still happens.

Good luck, I'm interested to know what happens as well. Since MacBooks don't have an activity indicator anymore, I'm concerned about my Mac not sleeping at all.

4. patwithamac thread starter macrumors member

I've disabled Find My Mac and Location Services.
    Will see if it it behaves any differently tonight when I close the lid for the night.... and report back in the morning.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

In a sense its never sleeping or even powered off anymore. I mean I can turn the Mac off and then 10 minutes later hit a key or the track pad and it comes alive. There is always some power coming through the Mac even when its powered off. I agree, the lack of a indicator light is something that I miss.

6. patwithamac thread starter macrumors member

Looks like it still wakes every two hours, even after disabling Find My Mac and Location Services.
    A quick look at the system log suggests it's doing pretty much the same stuff (although I did see entries in the log indicating that location services are disabled, so further processing was not necessary).

7. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

My "standard advice" -used to be- "power it down at night".
    But even that doesn't work any more, as maflynn notes above in reply 5.

Hmmm....
    An electronic device that you can't even turn off any more...

This is progress?
    Towards what end?

8. bchin macrumors newbie

I found that ticking Do Not Disturb > 'When the display is sleeping' stops random wake ups when sleeping.

The setting is found here: System Preferences > Notifications > Do Not Disturb > [Tick] When the display is sleeping

When ticked the console > /var/logs > power management logs show TCPKeepAlive in-active and there are no more wake ups.

9. macagain macrumors 6502

macagain

Thanks for this! Coincidentally, I only noticed for the first time last night the Mac was still showing message notifications while it was sleeping. I don't remember this being the case on my 2013 mbp (but don't know for sure).

So it really does seem that it never really does go to sleep truly... I guess it makes just a little more iOS like. I mean who ever thinks of shutting down their iPad overnight?

10. Expobill Suspended

Expobill

bricks do not need full sleep as well, that is why their walls do not hold up or last very long, and get infested with throttling ivy and those bugs with 15,000 legs that bend into a ball and row up one pants leg within 2 seconds.
    and we thought that T2 chip was fast, fowgetaboutit!

11. haralds macrumors 6502a

haralds

I think there is a bug that when it is plugged in it periodically wakes to update battery status, even if fully charge. I get the insertion ping and a battery display when the lid is open.
    Bug has been filed.

12. patwithamac thread starter macrumors member

I've been testing different scenarios each night over the last week or so.
    Wifi on, Bluetooth on, AC plugged.
    Wifi on, Bluetooth off, AC plugged.
    Wifi off, Bluetooth off, AC unplugged.
    Wifi off, Bluetooth off, AC unplugged.
    And so on (I won't list all the other permutations).

It seems my MBP wakes up every two hours... except when I turn off Wifi, Bluetooth, and unplug the AC charger.
    When I do that, then the system sleeps all night, without waking up until I open the lid again.

13. ales876 macrumors regular

ales876

So a possible short term solution to prevent the BridgeOS is to turn WIFI and BT until they fix it?

14. Populus macrumors 6502a

Populus

I hope you all are reporting this to Apple... Hopefully they will fix this before I purchase my new MacBook Pro.

Do you have this issue with macOS Mojave? Or High Sierra?

This difficults the 30 day sleep autonomy feature... If its constantly waking up, it will barely last a week. I thought the system shuts down the WiFi when the lid is closed or it starts to deep sleep. It's strange.

15. netdudeuk macrumors 6502

I've noticed a couple of times that my High Sierra 2017 13" TB MBP with the AC power disconnected, wifi and BT on and the lid closed is still showing as connected in my router connections list.

16. CreeptoLoser macrumors 6502

CreeptoLoser

Send a feedback report with your logs.

I believe it has been fixed in the T2 firmware that came with the latest Mojave beta. New firmware should be available for High Sierra users soon.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

How would you go about doing that? The T2 is a Secure Enclave, whee we don't have much control over.

18. matthewadams macrumors regular

19. patwithamac, Aug 28, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2018

patwithamac thread starter macrumors member

I attempted the .plist manipulation described in that thread.
    In my case, it immediately resulted in Kernel Panics while the system was asleep, and while the system would awake from sleep. I've reverted the changes and the Kernel Panics stopped happening.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 28, 2018 ---
    I think I've arrived at a set of configuration settings that allows the system to sleep, and stay asleep, from the time I close the lid, until I open the lid again (beit an hour, or 6 hours, or 12 hours, or a day).

I have;
    - Turned off Power Nap and Wake for Wi-Fi network access
    - Disabled Find My Mac
    - Set Don Not Disturb when the display is sleeping

And the crucial bit... turned off tcpkeepalive via the 'sudo pmset -a tcpkeepalive 0' command in a terminal window.

For other who may be interested, here are all of my pmset settings are;

sudo pmset -g
    System-wide power settings:
    Currently in use:
    standbydelay 10800
    standby 1
    womp 0
    halfdim 1
    hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage
    powernap 0
    gpuswitch 2
    networkoversleep 0
    disksleep 10
    sleep 0 (sleep prevented by UserEventAgent)
    autopoweroffdelay 28800
    hibernatemode 25
    autopoweroff 1
    ttyskeepawake 1
    displaysleep 10
    tcpkeepalive 0
    acwake 0
    lidwake 1

Now, when I close the lid, the system sleeps. There is absolutely nothing logged to the system log until the lid is opened, whereby the first thing I see in the syslog is;

localhost kernel[0]: PMRD: System SafeSleep Wake

Although I don't think it's relevant, I also changed hibernatemode from 3 to 25 (see pmset man pages for details).

Note: There is an obvious and fundamental consequence to disabling Find My Mac here. I accept the consequences.

EDIT: Most importantly, no Kernel Panics yet... at least not so far ;-)

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have Find My Mac enabled and I've not incurred any KPs.

I think the risk of undoing that, is too high imo. If your laptop isn't really that mobile (just moving it around in the house), that's one thing but if it goes with you out in public, its a risk

21. verdi1987 macrumors regular

I have a 2018 MBP 15-inch running Mojave. Last night I shut off the power strip the MBP is plugged into. The MBP lid was closed, and the user was logged out. Today I discovered the MBP battery was completely drained.

This afternoon I tried to troubleshoot the cause. I frequently remote in via screen sharing and have a remote backup task that runs every 12 hours. I thought maybe the MBP failed sleep after those tasks ran. But in my testing today, pmset reports that those tasks are only keeping the MBP awake while the processes are running. As soon as they end, the assertions are removed.

Bluetooth, Power Nap, and “Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off” are disabled

With “Wake for network access” disabled, my 2018 MBP is still accessible after I put it to sleep and close the lid. I can screen share and remote into it, even if it is just on battery power. If I do the same with my 2015 iMac, it is unreachable as expected.

22. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Can you verify if what you're experiencing is what I am experiencing? When I place my laptop into sleep mode, the next morning when I open the lid and enter my password, it reboots. It does this randomly. Is this a Kernel Panic?

Usually, when I open the lid, it will automatically take me to where I left things the night before, but recently, I've noticed that it crashes and reboots.