2018's iPhone 8 will be the same as this year's "Edition/Pro" with less price? A "Pro 2" in 2018?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by YazanShawish, Jul 19, 2017.

1. YazanShawish macrumors newbie

According to rumors, Apple will release 3 iPhones this year, the 7S, 7S plus and the "iPhone Edition" / "Pro".

The 7S and 7S Plus will have the same price as last year's 7 and 7 Plus but the "iPhone Edition" will cost ~$1000 according to rumors..

But what about next year's iPhone 8? I'm sure apple will use the same design as the iPhone Edition with slight changes to it and they will be priced the same as the 7S and the 7S plus ( maximum $100 more ) so in 2018 we'll get a better version of the "iPhone Edition" with less price? do you think they will produce "iPhone Edition/Pro 2" alongside the 8 in 2018?

Do you think Apple will continue the cycles with 3 iPhones? And what is your opinion about what I said above? Should we wait for the 8 as it'll be the same as this year's "Edition" with better features and less price? Or buy the Edition?

2. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

How can we even formulate opinions on what the new iPhone 8 will resemble or include if we don't even know what this year's model even looks like or what capabilities it has. I would say let's wait until after September and then make an assessment for the next year's iPhone long after that.

3. Sunny1990, Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2017

Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

I think next year Apple will drop 4.7 inch and 5.5 inch Form factor and will release a new 6.4 inch Plus model along with 5.8 inch model with bezel less OLED display.

IMG_0425.JPG

And if Apple did release a 6.4 inch Plus model [^^ Like This] Next Year it will be my first choice :)

4. recoil80 macrumors 68000

I hope they'll go bezel free for all models next year.
    Their current lineup could have the same size with bigger displays, I'd love that.
    Probably the iPhone edition will be sold just in 2017

5. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

When I saw Apple give life to an iPad Line and a separate iPad Pro line to match the Mac and MacPro and MacBook and MacBook Pro. I always thought highly likely they would continue and do IPhone and IPhone Pro.

Because our society is all about Social filters, and wealthy people don't enjoy that they iPhone is a big social equalizer, they want something to flaunt and show off. This is why I think. It will be

#1. Super Expensive $1,000+
    #2. Due massive delays it will be dumb to buy one.
    #3. Better off waiting for the iPhone 8 and 8s Plus 6.2" size next year.
    #4. 5.8" is too small when it's No bezel makes it the same size as the 4.7" model. People want big phones they can show off.

All I care about is that the 2017 Launch is significantly Troubled. And that a select Lucky Few Youtubers/Influencers will get early review units in October create hype and very few of the public will be able to even buy one until Mid 2018 at time What's the pOint ?

6. Volgin Suspended

Volgin

Let's wait until this years phones are released before we start speculating on next years phones. .

7. Erdbeertorte macrumors demi-goddess

I really can't imagine the price will get that high. No-one outside the USA would buy it.

My 6s Plus 128GB already was €1,049 what is more than $1,200 and I only purchased it with hopefully lasting at least five years in mind. :oops:

Also everything except iPhones got even more expensive here. A 7 Plus with 128GB is "just" €1,009. There was another price hike for all Macs and other stuff after that, but... ???

Seems they realized at least for iPhones (and iPads?) it's not a good idea to make them more expensive every year.

I know the storage tiers got changed and a 7 Plus with 256GB is €1,119. But if you know Apple's prices for storage upgrades that's not a real price increase. And only a minority needs that much storage on a phone.

8. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

I'm of the belief that, due to having the 7S and plus models, so effectively 3 new phones, Apple will change their longstanding pricing tiers with the intention of, unfortunately, introducing a new higher tier with the iPhone 8.

If this proves true, which I really hope it doesn't as I'm happy to be wrong on this, then I can't see them reducing this new price point in 2018 for the introduction of the 8S. The tiers would then just be SE (possibly a revised model) and 7S & Plus at the lowest tiers, 8 drops down a tier and 8S remains at the new high price point.

This also doesn't take into account a potential large body replacement for the 7S Plus.

As I say, hope I'm wrong and the 8 debuts at the same price points of the existing high end iPhones.

NB - I refer to the new design model as 8 and 8S to use existing nomenclature and avoid confusion with Edition / Pro / X or whatever else.

9. Volgin Suspended

Volgin

The iPhone is already over priced. By a lot.

10. michael9891 macrumors 6502a

You talk absolute crap. The only dumb thing is panicking over rumours. People buy big phones because, surprise, they want bigger screens. I don't know anyone who buys a bigger device to show off.

I'd hate to be around you in a real emergency. Have fun using whatever phone you have now while the rest of us enjoy our latest and greatest iPhones.

11. Dave245 macrumors 601

If the price is £1000 I will buy one, I already paid £820 for the iPhone 7 Plus last year so an extra £180 would be a good deal for the rumoured features of: OLED display, 3D sensing camera possibly used for facial recognition and AR also the new bezel less design.

12. noobinator macrumors 601

It will be a hologram iPhone. You will kind of own it, sorta, or something.

13. lexvo macrumors 65816

Another possibility is that the iPhone Edition is a one-off and that 2018 will bring "just" the iPhone 8 and 8s.

14. Volgin Suspended

Volgin

My prediction is that this iPhone release will be underwhelming, just like every iPhone debut since 2013.

15. Infiniverse48 macrumors 6502a

There will be no pro iPhone and a pro 2? That's just funny

16. craigio85 macrumors regular

My money is on the 7 series ending this year (but remaining on sale as the lower price option) with both the iPhone 7 and 7 plus being replaced by the redesigned iPhone 8.

I don't see any need whatsoever to have s versions of either of the current models. The leaks suggest the new design is effectively a hybrid of the two - nearly the screen size of the 7 plus in nearly the chassis size of the 7 and with the dual camera setup of the current plus.

Yeah there are people on here saying they'd buy a 7s, but next to a brand new model the sales figures just wouldn't justify the cost of designing and producing a slightly enhanced version of the current iPhones. I see Apple setting the price of the 8 at the level of just-barely-acceptably-expensive with the alternative option being the not-much-less-outrageously-expensive-and-already-a-year-old iphone 7.

17. Infiniverse48 macrumors 6502a

Nope. Can't meet demand and therefore cant not make 7s. Pretty simple really.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 19, 2017 ---
    There is no 'one-off' iPhone. It's incredibly simple: Apple only has OLED supply for one model this year. Next year will see a Plus sized OLED model with identical design as the device this year... the prices will drop in 2018 or 2019 when OLED is getting better supply and yields.

18. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

We're already talking about next years iPhone when this year's iPhone hasn't even been announced? :rolleyes:

19. Relentless Power, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Let me guess, you pulled these photos from click bait sites like "BGR" or "iDrop" or "Phone Arena"? (Which you frequently Post these on here. )

Superficial renders of something we have no concept of yet until we can at least wait until the new iPhone in September.

20. Mildredop macrumors 68020

They sell in the millions. For several months after release they sell quicker than they can make them.

If anything the iPhone is under-priced.

21. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I predict the 8 will be in very short supply and its introduction will be anything except boring.

22. Volgin Suspended

Volgin

I still
    Say it's over priced for what you get. They just released a $329 iPad.

23. Newtons Apple, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017

Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I would leave the marketing up to Apple, they "seem" to do it pretty well.

You say you will be bored with the next iPhone introductions in Sept. LOL!

It will be crazy as it gets. You might be bored but the Apple people in this forum will not.

24. Volgin Suspended

Volgin

I've been a long time apple fan and user. But the iPhone magic, at least for me, is over. I realize they will sell a lot of iPhones and make a lot of money. I personally would pay $1000 for a phone.

Cricket is selling the iPhone SE new for $169. That seems about right to me.

25. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Just make sure you read the Cricket contract as they are not $169 for the heck of it.

I, too, have been with Apple from their first iPhone to today.

The introductions are not as exciting for me, maybe I am getting older or maybe I have seen too many to get that excited. Do think the 8 will cause quite a stir. Still up in the air if I will get the 8 or maybe even the 7S+. Like the 7+ form and would not mind using it for another year of two.