Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Over 400 Apple retail stores around the world have red logos today, in recognition of World AIDS Day. The logos, which Apple has put up at its stores for the last several years on December 1, are meant to raise awareness for the global fight against AIDS.

Earlier this week, Apple announced plans to donate $1 to partner charity (RED) for every Apple Pay purchase made at an Apple Store, on Apple.com, or through the Apple Store app as part of a World AIDS Day campaign. Apple has pledged to donate up to $1 million during the event, which will last until December 6.

Bank of America is also making a donation for every Apple Pay transaction made using its cards from December 1 to December 7, with plans to donate up to $1 million.

applestorebrusselsredlogo-800x534.jpg

In addition to its Apple Pay promotion, Apple has released several new PRODUCT(RED) items over the course of the last month, including an iPhone 7 Smart Battery Case, an iPhone SE case, a Beats Pill+ Portable Speaker, and Beats Solo3 Wireless Headphones. Throughout the year, a portion of the proceeds from PRODUCT(RED) sales goes to The Global Fund to put a stop to AIDS.

Several App Store apps are also offering limited-edition custom (RED) content for World AIDS Day, and all in-app purchase proceeds will be donated. Participating apps include popular titles like Best Fiends, Boom Beach, Clash of Clans, Candy Crush Jelly Saga, Farm Heroes Saga, PewDiePie's Tuber Simulator, Hay Day, Plants vs. Zombies Heroes, and more.

The (RED) initiative has raised more than $365 million to date to stop AIDS in Ghana, Kenya, Lesotho, Rwanda, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, and Zambia. Funds raised by (RED) are donated to The Global Fund, a group that works to end AIDS, tuberculosis, and malaria as epidemics.

Apple is one of (RED)'s biggest contributors and has donated nearly $120 million over the last 10 years.

Article Link: Apple Retail Stores Sporting Red Logos for World AIDS Day

Last edited:

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
I don't think they really push the whole Product (Red) thing outside of the US. My local store has never really had a red logo change, as far as I can remember. I think they turned it green once for their eco drive.

But then, it's a relatively small and insignificant branch.

Reactions: ideal.dreams

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Because my Username/Avatar is what it is (Porco Rosso), I am red all day every day. And if people want to take that as me being supportive towards people with AIDS, that's fine by me.

I'm glad Apple do all the (Product) Red stuff, regardless of what money it does or doesn't raise - they don't have to do it, and whilst one can make the cynical argument that they only do it to makes themselves look good, well a) I don't think Apple are often accused of doing what people want purely to please the people rather than Apple, especially lately(!) and b) Even if they do, so what?! The messages transcends their motivation.

Always wondered if they accomplish this with RGB that are already in there or if they install a filter on the logo for one day.

Probably just the R! ;)

Last edited:

mcfrazieriv

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
Wonder what they'll hang for earth day and aids day when they've removed all light up apple signs?
Jony Ive's new design seemingly deletes all branding of stores ...

Taisiya

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2015
there is no such thing as white apples in nature.(correct me if I'm wrong) It's mostly red and green or a mix of the two colors. Definitely not the white apple in Apple's logo.

I've never been able to understand why Apple's logo hasn't always been red. Is it to avoid being called the Snow White Apple company?

Reactions: twocents

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
How does wearing your red sport band or using your red iPhone case help cure AIDS? Don't they want you to go buy something new so you are donating?

krause734

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Wish they gave free Rusty's cream filled chocolate donuts for AIDS awareness.

Nick11Mac

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2011
California
"Over 400 Apple retail stores around the world have red logos today, in recognition of World AIDS Day. The logos, which Apple has put up at its stores for the last several years on December 1, are meant to raise awareness for the global fight against AIDS.

Earlier this week, Apple announced plans to donate $1 to partner charity (RED) for every Apple Pay purchase made at an Apple Store, on Apple.com, or through the Apple Store app as part of a World AIDS Day campaign. Apple has pledged to donate up to $1 million during the event, which will last until December 6."

Good work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.