Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ahead of the official launch of Single Sign-on on tvOS 10.1 and iOS 10.2 later this month, Apple has added a new App Store section (via reddit) with apps that support the feature for beta testers. The apps are categorized by supported TV providers, including DirecTV, Dish, Sling TV, Hotwire, and GVTC.

app-store-single-sign-on-apps.jpg

If you are a Dish Network satellite TV subscriber, for example, you can sign in once with your Dish username and password to start using any of the following apps, among others: Watch Cooking Channel, Watch DIY, Watch Travel Channel, Hallmark Channel Everywhere, and Watch Food Network.

When you open an app that supports Single Sign-on on iOS 10.2 beta, a pop-up alert asks if you "want to allow XYZ to use your sign in credentials," according to beta testers. If you decline, the app lets you sign in and authenticate with a provider-specific username and password as usual.

On a fourth-generation Apple TV running tvOS 10.1 beta, Single Sign-on can be accessed by opening the Settings app and navigating to Accounts > TV Provider. On an iPhone or iPad running iOS 10.2 beta, Single Sign-on can be accessed by opening the Settings app and tapping on the TV Provider section.

Single Sign-on will be available on tvOS 10.1 and iOS 10.2 in December upon completion of beta testing, enabling U.S. customers to sign in once with their cable TV credentials to access all live cable content available through their cable TV subscription, even when it is spread across multiple apps.

Article Link: App Store Gains New Section for Single Sign-on Apps From Supported TV Providers

Reactions: 341328

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
There was already a section in the TV app that listed more apps supported by your tv provider. Weirdly, it seems to list more apps in the tv app than in this new feature.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
There was already a section in the TV app that listed more apps supported by your tv provider. Weirdly, it seems to list more apps in the tv app than in this new feature.

Yeah I am confused as you can simply look it up in the tv app. It will tell you all the apps that are compatible. Or in the settings app, after you login to single sign on. It has a thing that says find more apps. You simply click on it, and it will also tell you which apps you can use.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I like how you tried to hide the original source instead of actually giving credit.

You reported this to them? Is there a chance that they received several tips for the same topic?

I know what it feels like to want to help, only to have that help ignored or taken advantage of. I recently had an exchange with MacRumours reps and, despite dropping several hints that all I wanted to hear was "thanks for being a member of our community for 12 years", they resisted. Not a single thank-you came from that exchange.

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
You reported this to them? Is there a chance that they received several tips for the same topic?

I know what it feels like to want to help, only to have that help ignored or taken advantage of. I recently had an exchange with MacRumours reps and, despite dropping several hints that all I wanted to hear was "thanks for being a member of our community for 12 years", they resisted. Not a single thank-you came from that exchange.

No I didn't. But the screenshot was taken from a post on Reddit. Which was linked under 'added a new App Store section', rather deceptive to not actually cite the source. I guess since they cropped off the status and tab bars that makes is original and not worth citing.

Reactions: stevie grant

alectheking

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2010
No I didn't. But the screenshot was taken from a post on Reddit. Which was linked under 'added a new App Store section', rather deceptive to not actually cite the source. I guess since they cropped off the status and tab bars that makes is original and not worth citing.

Thanks for sticking up for me! That was my reddit post. They used my screenshot also, which is fine I guess. Might as well go all in! Here's a screen shot of the system alert. I quoted it slightly wrong but it is what it is.

https://imgur.com/a/IQNLZ

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
Thanks for sticking up for me! That was my reddit post. They used my screenshot also, which is fine I guess. Might as well go all in! Here's a screen shot of the system alert. I quoted it slightly wrong but it is what it is.

No problem. The lack of providing sources here is getting to be ridiculous. MR used to be pretty good about it, but now it seems like they only cite 9to5mac because they are the only ones that can really stand up to them, everyone else they just bully around.

Reactions: stevie grant

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Looking forward to single sign on since I just signed up for DirecTV Now this weekend. It seems like a really great service so far, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to watch certain things like ABC live. When I sign on with the app on my TV, I have to use a browser. The browser says "Congrats…You can now watch live TV and stream shows" or something like that but I don't see anywhere in the app where I can watch live TV.

alectheking

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2010
Just thought i'd add that even though they aren't listed under the "find more apps" page, History and A&E both already support SSO also. Those are 2 of my favorite streaming apps so it was a pleasant surprise to see them already work!

bitslap47

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2007

I would alert/flag the article and ask for proper source recognition. Bot or not, source credit should be given.

davidwes

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2004

Are you suggesting that MacRumors does not have their own beta device with access to the app store and the ability to screenshot their own phones? Or is there some metadata in the image that proofs it yours (I would have no idea how to look that up, and if there is I would like to support you)

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
Are you suggesting that MacRumors does not have their own beta device with access to the app store and the ability to screenshot their own phones? Or is there some metadata in the image that proofs it yours (I would have no idea how to look that up, and if there is I would like to support you)

It's entirely possible they took the screenshot as well, but they linked to the Reddit post that has the same apps listed (with the same one already installed), in the same order, with the same review count as their screenshot. That is a lot of the "sames" for it to beyond unlikely that they stole the image. Especially when they hid the link to where they got it from.

MysteryMii215

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2016
NYC area
I would like to add (and I have no idea if anyone had seen this yet) that when I was signing into the FXNOW app on my Apple TV, it wanted access to my TV provider login info (and no, I was not running the tvOS 10.1 beta) which means that apps are currently being updated to support Single-Sign On (at least on the Apple TV).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.