2020 air heatsink

Saul Giordani

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2020
Do you think it would be ok to put a piece of thermal pad instead of the copper shim, between the cpu and the heatsink?
- - Post merged: - -

Nothing ... there is no better option than this ... if there are no copper fins where the air circulates at high speed there is no drop of up to 10º !! and sometimes 15º. Now I have put a thicker wedge that protrudes from the heatsink ... 1mm I have tightened in a cross but without reaching the bottom because some thread could break from the cpu. At the moment a test that has left me open ... I have been able to see this 5K video without any jerk and without reaching more than 90º. At 4K I see it at 70º !!!
Between 70 and 72º with Chrome :oops:

Last edited:
Reactions: srkirt

srkirt

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2020
Barcelona
[CITA = "Saul Giordani, publicación: 28514809, miembro: 1211657"]
¿Crees que estaría bien poner un trozo de almohadilla térmica en lugar de la cuña de cobre, entre la CPU y el disipador térmico?

Do you think it would be ok to put a piece of thermal pad instead of the copper shim, between the cpu and the heatsink?

Between 47 and 49º with Chrome :oops:
Nooooo!!!

daystar

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2020
Nothing ... there is no better option than this ... if there are no copper fins where the air circulates at high speed there is no drop of up to 10º !! and sometimes 15º. Now I have put a thicker wedge that protrudes from the heatsink ... 1mm I have tightened in a cross but without reaching the bottom because some thread could break from the cpu. At the moment a test that has left me open ... I have been able to see this 5K video without any jerk and without reaching more than 90º. At 4K I see it at 70º !!!
Just tested with the same video and 5K played clean and max CPU temps where 81 but stayed below 80 most of the time. The fans didn't even turn on :)

Reactions: srkirt

srkirt

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2020
Barcelona
Record !!! Original 541.
Today with DeepCool Z5 thermal paste (the Grizzly arrives tomorrow) 715 !!!
I don't know how much percentage I have earned since I bought it two months ago, but I am reaching the limit ... 359 a quad core i7 6400HQ ...
From Barcelona Happy weekend friends !!!

Attachments

IngerMan

macrumors 68000
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
I have been using my awesome MBA for 36 hours now and I went back through this thread starting around page 38. My temps are 38-40C if I let it sit and wake it up. It runs about 50C streaming the web. I can get it to 100 running Cinebench but it does not get too loud with the fans for a very long time.

Looking back at other i7 bench mark scores and temps earlier on 10.15.4, it seems I am almost there with out the mod. Maybe this is the latest update since this machine has never seen 10.15.4, only 10.15.5? Actually I am thrilled with the temps and performance and benchmarks now.

I decided I am only going to do the thermal pad mod next week, the least invasive and least risk of voiding the warranty, the least risk of self inflicted damage. And from the posts it seem the biggest improvements are from the pad mod, not the paste and shim. Maybe down the road I will re-paste and shim if it starts heating up, but at this time I say its a pretty cool machine. 48C at Post Reply:cool:

Current Bench Marks MBA 2020 i7/16GB/256SSD No MODS

MBA Cinebench R20 Before Mod.png MBA GB5 Before Mod Compute.png MBA GB5 before mod cpu .png

Last edited:
Reactions: Loog

Bones13

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2008
Definitely worth bench marking the stock MBA before opening her up. Many have had great luck with the machine that came out of the box. My laptop is still about a week and a half away.

Spending a day with update / indexing, then run some bench marks. Then decide if/which mods to do.

daystar

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2020
I have been using my awesome MBA for 36 hours now and I went back through this thread starting around page 38. My temps are 38-40C if I let it sit and wake it up. It runs about 50C streaming the web. I can get it to 100 running Cinebench but it does not get too loud with the fans for a very long time.

Looking back at other i7 bench mark scores and temps earlier on 10.15.4, it seems I am almost there with out the mod. Maybe this is the latest update since this machine has never seen 10.15.4, only 10.15.5? Actually I am thrilled with the temps and performance and benchmarks now.

I decided I am only going to do the thermal pad mod next week, the least invasive and least risk of voiding the warranty, the least risk of self inflicted damage. And from the posts it seem the biggest improvements are from the pad mod, not the paste and shim. Maybe down the road I will re-paste and shim if it starts heating up, but at this time I say its a pretty cool machine. 48C at Post Reply:cool:

View attachment 919902 View attachment 919903 View attachment 919904
Very similar results to my i7 before mods! I think you can expect good temps/results after modding :)
EBCFE9FA-7FC6-4163-8119-359D6A1549C5.jpeg

Last edited:

Loog

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2020

View attachment 919902 View attachment 919903 View attachment 919904
These are some great results from a non invasive modification. I'd be interested to hear thoughts on the case temperature from you and others who have done this as I backed out of that mod due to excessive heat of the device, and just kept the shim especially with the warmer weather coming and the device sitting on your lap in shorts. I don't have an electronic thermometer to provide exact temperatures but the device became uncomfortable. Appreciate this is subjective to what you are doing etc. And as for Apples for Pears mine is a MBA 2018.

Seems that both the shim and the heat pad are providing similar results stand alone with risks and compromises depending on your chosen path.

Also 10.15.5 seems to have had positive effects on my battery.

Attachments

Last edited:

IngerMan

macrumors 68000
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
These are some great results from a non invasive modification.

Also 10.15.5 seems to have had positive effects on my battery.
Hi @Loog. These are stock results with no Mods. I plan to only add the thermal pad early next week. Waiting for the P5 wrench. I think 10.15.5 addresses many issues. I never ran .4 because I just got my MBA Thursday. But from previous posters results with .4, it seems much better now with .5

my lap use has been nothing but cool. I’ll post a picture with my pad when I install it, with bench results.