Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Easy on the BS. It's the same display with different color profile and same burn in.

yjcs1b688ar21.jpg

Are you trying to pass off cheap android clones as iPhones again?

No one in here is saying to go out there and buy that ASUS gaming phone - just that the 120Hz OLED technology exists.

At 10mm thick, that’s a brick not a phone and 120hz oleds have exited for a while.

120hz Flexible oled not so much.

Reactions: ErikGrim

jjohnstonjr

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
bla bla ... as long as people pay moon prices for years old hardware ... apple has no ambitions to do better. the iphone is a piece of over-aged crap - and a 120hz display won't change anything
ios13 is not even an update of anything - its so ridiculous.
ipad os is also a joke - if you compare it, to what you can do with a real computer.

this whole company is in an insane bubble of ya - sayers

LOL! Are you okay? Did Cook, Jobs or Ivy hurt you my friend?

Just because Apple is "late" to the party when it comes to adopting new technology doesn't mean they have no ambition to do better. Being first to break new tech does really mean anything anymore. Look at what Samsung did with their foldable phone. Maybe just maybe Apple is sitting back to make sure when they do drop products they are tested as they should be. If you don't mind me asking and you don't mind explaining then tell me what iOS 13 is if it isn't an upgrade or update? I mean it is rolling new features that are not on the current iOS right? Also iPad has never been in competition with computers...it's merely an alternative to a computer.

uecker87

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2014
Madison, WI

At 10mm thick, that’s a brick not a phone and 120hz oleds have exited for a while.

Oh come on. The iPhone XR is 8.3mm thick. Let's not act like an extra 1.7mm defines a phone vs a brick. Give me a break. And Apple will get up around 10mm soon at the rate they are going (and this is without the camera bump).

Screen-Shot-2018-11-26-at-10.57.10-AM.jpg.pagespeed.ce.E3XpnffYID.jpg

And please list off a few 120Hz OLED smartphones that have existed for "a while". I'll wait.

Biu_miu

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2016
Easy on the BS. It's the same display with different color profile and same burn in.

yjcs1b688ar21.jpg

Yep, these demo X iPhones have tendency to have burn-in, just because they are on on the same home screen, literally, for months at a time, some places might be even more than 1,5 years non stop, if they still have them on demo. Apple tries to fix it by kicking off screensaver after some while, but still-OLED is OLED. Samsung demo phones, and tablets especially, have this problem as well. Luckily, IF you have this for your real iPhone X- the one you use every day- you can get screen replaced or get a new phone under warranty. Never seen this occur in real life usage tho. My iPhone X has screen time around 9h daily and still no burn in

Reactions: Oridus

JessWinter

Suspended
Apr 4, 2019
USA
To be honest, I feel like we have a better chance of seeing this in 2019 rather than 2020. Too much change for 2020 year.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Wow, almost all talk centers around the 2020 iPhone. I don't think there has ever been a refresh cycle where that's been the case.

It doesn't seem the 2019 iPhone is getting anything except better cameras.

AlexJoda

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2015
Oh come on. The iPhone XR is 8.3mm thick. Let's not act like an extra 1.7mm defines a phone vs a brick. Give me a break. And Apple will get up around 10mm soon at the rate they are going (and this is without the camera bump).

View attachment 849383

And please list off a few 120Hz OLED smartphones that have existed for "a while". I'll wait.

That's a nice graph! The original iPhone or the 3GS never felt thick to me but the XR does, maybe it's because it is so much larger...My iPhone 6 feels so thin now when I am holding it again...(but the battery life of the XR is so much better...)

Reactions: uecker87

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London

View attachment 849383

Yes and that’s why I didn’t get an xr, the asus is a brick compared to the xr, not to mention the forehead and chin bezels. The chunky xs max is at the threshold as is.

25e357528dd6a870e5fbd7018c274fc2.jpg

What the hell is that brick attached the other brick, do you just carry it around with you.

Who is going to buy this monstrosity? Are you?

Where did I say smartphones?
I’ll wait.

uecker87

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2014
Madison, WI
Yes and that’s why I didn’t get an xr, the asus is a brick compared to the xr, not to mention the forehead and chin bezels. The chunky xs max is at the threshold as is.

25e357528dd6a870e5fbd7018c274fc2.jpg

What the hell is that brick attached the other brick, do you just carry it around with you.
emoji23.png

Who is going to buy this monstrosity? Are you?

Where did I say smartphones?
I’ll wait.
This article is about 120Hz SMARTPHONES. Not any displays. Just because you chose to ignore the premise of the entire article, doesn't mean I did.

And I specically said no one in here has talked about buying that phone. That is a phone designed for gamers that want performance for games above everything else. Not typically the iPhone/Apple crowd. All I mentioned was that people used that phone to prove that the tech exists. See below.

No one in here is saying to go out there and buy that ASUS gaming phone - just that the 120Hz OLED technology exists.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
with the lack of ANYTHING interesting rumored about for the 2019 iPhone (ok- a 3rd lens.. yawn) 2019 is gearing up to be the least hyped & least anticipated iPhone ever.
We'll find out soon enough.

Taipan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2003
I wonder what motivates people to create renderings of (Apple-) devices that have no factual (or even rumored) basis in the real world whatsoever.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
This article is about 120Hz SMARTPHONES. Not any displays. Just because you chose to ignore the premise of the entire article, doesn't mean I did.

I didn’t ignore any premise. I just responded to your inaccurate claim.

You claimed that the rog smartphone was
Proof that “120hz oled display existed”

7973110d07629df00a06ca085b273bfe.jpg

That was you right?

As I wrote: 120hz oled displays do exist, flexible 120hz oled displays do not.

Which is a very accurate statement.

And I specically said no one in here has talked about buying that phone. That is a phone designed for gamers that want performance for games above everything else. Not typically the iPhone/Apple crowd. All I mentioned was that people used that phone to prove that the tech exists. See below.

So you agree it’s a crappy implementation of a great technology. so what’s the point if it’s nonviable tech.

How many hardcore gamers are really going to spend 1k for it?

Not many.

Razer has 120hz lcd display and so the technology has existed for smartphones and tablets(iPad pro) for a while now.

Having said that, it Didn’t make a difference for razer. They stopped making phones and fired the nextbit team they acquired.

But hardcore gamers are going to spend more on this instead. Ok.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA

yjcs1b688ar21.jpg
please, stop lie these people with your fake iphone
iOS was build not to have pixels stuck on the display. Its an software trick
[doublepost=1563806863][/doublepost]Since this month, 120hz oled smartphone exists, asus ROG 2 and lenovo Z6 being the frist two
But promotion and the teh behind that term...doesnt exist. There is no smartphone oled with a variable refresh rate between 24hz and 120hz based on your usage

Last edited:

uecker87

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2014
Madison, WI
I didn’t ignore any premise. I just responded to your inaccurate claim.

You claimed that the rog smartphone was
Proof that “120hz oled display existed”

7973110d07629df00a06ca085b273bfe.jpg

That was you right?

As I wrote: 120hz oled displays do exist, flexible 120hz oled displays do not.

Which is a very accurate statement.

So you agree it’s a crappy implementation of a great technology. so what’s the point if it’s nonviable tech.

How many hardcore gamers are really going to spend 1k for it?

Not many.

Razer has 120hz lcd display and so the technology has existed for smartphones and tablets(iPad pro) for a while now.

Having said that, it Didn’t make a difference for razer. They stopped making phones and fired the nextbit team they acquired.

But hardcore gamers are going to spend more on this instead. Ok.
Dude you are crazy, but whatever. How is what I said inaccurate? This ASUS phone proves that the tech exists. That is a factual statement. So I left out one word saying "mobile" or "phone" - okay man. You got me. You win the internet today. The whole context of this article is about an iPhone (aka a mobile phone) having a 120Hz display.

I never said many people would buy that phone. Honestly it does look awful. It is overpriced, and ASUS doesn't even have a fraction of the mobile phone market, so that isn't anything new.

But you win buddy. Enjoy your internet points.

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2017
Wow! Films will look like soap operas. :rolleyes: Hopefully that feature can be disabled for film playback?

The "soap opera effect" is not caused by 120Hz. It's caused by the motion "enhancing" settings. As long as all of those are turned off, the image will look natural/as god intended.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
I don't think that this is true. Apple did not have the engineering resources to develop the base display technologies without manufacturing them. They might demand some modifications from the base Samsung or LG displays but they are not able to develop a complete new display technology on their own....

I'll have to do some digging, but I thought it was reported before the iPhone 8 and iPhone X were launched that Apple had purchased some equipment and put it in a R&D center to design an OLED with their own specs. I'll hit you back when I find it.

yjcs1b688ar21.jpg

Nobody said OLED was impervious to burn in, apparently I failed at providing context. That's on me. I've seen display model iPhones first hand with ZERO burn in, and my own devices have had ZERO burn in, and other people's X's and beyond have had ZERO burn in. That's why I said I have yet to have one cross my path. In a real world use case to where a display doesn't show the same image for months beyond months at a time without ever turning off, I've seen ZERO evidence of burn in. In contrast, every Samsung product between myself and my wife, up through the Galaxy S9, has shown burn in within about 6-8 months of real world use.

Apple does design the screen, but they license technology from Samsung/LG/whomever in the first place in order to do so.

To the best of my knowledge, they don't have their wholly own design, just adaptations.

Which is fine, it's still an OLED (of which, Samsung did not invent) to Apple's specs... not Samsung's. Everybody likes to say it's Samsung's display, when in reality it isn't. Again, they're simply manufacturing a display to Apple's specs.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
This year won't sell out like previous. mark my words

Well you may be right. But keep in mind that Apple is releasing more models the past few years (this year is no different), with more colors as well. That's bound to lead to a bit more dispersement in devices being purchased. That being said, it'll all be speculation seeing as Apple no longer releases #'s on how many are sold.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
For only 2k

That'd be amazing but with this I'm pretty sure that they are gonna pull the price level to 1500$-2000$. I would love to have such a screen with a decent price.

Fair is fair! If they double the refresh rate they MUST double the price of the phone, otherwise the phone would simply be too cheap for all that it offers!

Last year prices were already too high, sales have been slipping, there's also other reason but I think many will not pay for even higher prices, pretty sure Apple is aware of this.

Reactions: ParaShot

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015

9.5mm thick*.
[doublepost=1563808750][/doublepost]I don't see this being true unless one of the following occurs:

1. New battery tech that results in a similar size battery but much larger capacity to support 120hz and 5G.
2. Apple increasing the thickness to accommodate a much larger battery.
3. Apple makes the refresh variable in such a way that it rarely switches to 120hz to preserve battery life and so they can say they have a 120hz display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.