Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Apple makes the refresh variable in such a way that it rarely switches to 120hz to preserve battery life and so they can say they have a 120hz displa

Yes ipad pro already have variable refresh rate. So its ok. When not need it the RR will stay at 24hz or 60

Reactions: Chung123

Meandmunch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
I typically buy every other year, this works for me. The iPhone screen does ghost a lot in high contrast scenarios. Even this site when scrolling you get little trails behind the type. Really bugs me.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
Asus has 120Hz OLED, just announced. OnePlus has 90Hz OLED available for a few months already. Others will be following later this year. If this is for 2020, Apple is more than fashionable late to the party. Again. They're not changing the smartphone market with it as stated in the article, they're following.
Being first to market rarely changes anything. Bringing new services or technology to 1 billion users overnight tends to change markets dramatically.

Reactions: alpi123

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I was just wondering about this the other day and why Apple hasn't done it on the iPhone. I assumed battery life issues.

At this point, is there any reason to upgrade to a 2019 iPhone aside from damage or loss? I'm in the iPhone Upgrade Program and have owned nearly every iPhone generation and even I'm considering continuing to make payments on my XS so that I can just sell it in 2020 and make some money on it instead of trading it in for a 2019 iPhone that barely seems interesting. Either Apple is doing a good job at hiding rumors about the 2019 model or it's going to be a flop. They better hope that extra camera is worth it. Although I do admit that the ability to use it to charge my AirPods is appealing. Really on the fence right now and I'm a big fan of the iPhone. I doubt most regular users will find it worth the upgrade unless they have a really old iPhone or something. Prove the rumors wrong, Apple!

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
This is one of the biggest reasons I prefer to use my iPad over the iPhone.

It seems though that the 2019 will be one of the worst year ever for the iPhone, while the 2020 iPhone will be awesome.

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
That's the weird one for me, if Asus is doing it this year then there's no reason why Apple can't do it this year, unless there isn't the capacity yet for large enough yields or maybe it isn't a flexible OLED yet?

It is about trade offs. Longevity of OLED, Colour Accuracy, Pixel Density. The ASUS 120Hz panel are no where near as good as the current iPhone in these regards. Then there is GPU power and bandwidth requirement from Memory, all these effect battery life.

Having said that I really do wish Apple could push the envelop and have Pro Motion on iPhone.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
I was just wondering about this the other day and why Apple hasn't done it on the iPhone. I assumed battery life issues.

At this point, is there any reason to upgrade to a 2019 iPhone aside from damage or loss? I'm in the iPhone Upgrade Program and have owned nearly every iPhone generation and even I'm considering continuing to make payments on my XS so that I can just sell it in 2020 and make some money on it instead of trading it in for a 2019 iPhone that barely seems interesting. Either Apple is doing a good job at hiding rumors about the 2019 model or it's going to be a flop. They better hope that extra camera is worth it. Although I do admit that the ability to use it to charge my AirPods is appealing. Really on the fence right now and I'm a big fan of the iPhone. I doubt most regular users will find it worth the upgrade unless they have a really old iPhone or something. Prove the rumors wrong, Apple!

They said this about every ‘S’ series phone... that it’s going to flop. Keep in mind, not everybody is as tech minded as we are on this forum. Also, there’s going to be millions that are ready for an upgrade and a lot more that haven’t upgraded since the 5/6/7 series. There are also millions that ARE like a lot of us here that upgrade with every single phone. I don’t think it’s going to be a flop since a contingent on the forum doesn’t find it worth it.

majorsl

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2019
Razer uses LCD display, this is OLED. The closest to this is OnePlus' 7 Pro which as 90Hz OLED.
That's my phone - OP7Pro. I love it, probably one of the best piece of tech I own. I'm generally not an iOS guy, I'm here for the macOS mostly.

seanoo

macrumors member
May 10, 2014
Interesing. But I guess the next series of innovations will happen more and more on the software side of things. Artificial Intelligence, AR (which, in my opinion, has been nothing more than a gimmick on phones up to now), Voice assistants, software assisted camera tech and so on and so forth. Smartphones have reached, faster than computers, a point to which they are "really good" for a couple of years. No one will spend for a new Bionic chip or improved camera or 120 HZ screen if the software doesn't provide SIGNIFICANTLY better experience. I own an iPhone X, other than some more effects on portrait mode, there's really nothing that screamed "buy me" in the iPhone XS. Yes, opening apps is a millisecond faster, yes, unlocking is a millisecond faster (although iOS 13 up to now already provides a better unlock responsiveness than previously on my iPhone X). So... Apple better get to work on SIRI, MEANINGFUL AUGMENTED REALITY, WATERPROOFING, SCRATCH PROOFING, UI (home screen is still useless and some aspects of iOS 13 are still a mess (left swipe and you see what i mean), ADAPTIVE UI (not only dark mode, but a UI that adapts based on time of day, location, context). When at work i want mails and calendar to be all over the place, on weekends i want camera, camera roll, maps to be at the center of the stage... I want a phone that "changes" according to the time of day and location instead of me having to jiggle apps around, notifications that become more or less prominent according to where I am. "It has been a while since you last stepped on a balance" "why don't you go for a walk?", WHO CARES WHEN I AM IN THE MIDDLE OF A MEETING?

Well said. If Apple made this their actual to-do list for iOS 14 (and 15, realistically) I’d be thrilled. By upping the processing power and rigorously enforcing privacy and he ability to accomplish intensive tasks in-phone, Apple’s set the table for an experience where people actually trust them with the kind of information that allows for adaptive UI (i.e. we can say with reasonable confidence they’re not just piping the minutia of our days directly to advertisers, etc. What’s the point of all of that work on the hardware and policy side if you’re not going to do anything with it? The home screen hasn’t functionally changed since the 6S and even that was small potatoes.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
They said this about every ‘S’ series phone... that it’s going to flop. Keep in mind, not everybody is as tech minded as we are on this forum. Also, there’s going to be millions that are ready for an upgrade and a lot more that haven’t upgraded since the 5/6/7 series. There are also millions that ARE like a lot of us here that upgrade with every single phone. I don’t think it’s going to be a flop since a contingent on the forum doesn’t find it worth it.
Well, first of all we've already had the S model. I just found it interesting because I am a hardcore Apple fan and I have never felt this way before except for the HomePod, which by most measures has not been very successful either when compared to other Apple products, or other smart speakers. But there are still a lot of unknowns about the 2019 iPhone, to be sure. It's just weird how so many great things have leaked about the 2020 iPhone and it seems like what has leaked about the 2019 iPhone isn't very interesting. We saw over the past year with Apple's iPhone sales dipping that more customers find it less worth it to upgrade when the iPhone is this expensive. A lackluster feature set in a design that looks mostly the same will certainly cause a further decline in sales. The iPhone is far from doomed or being labeled a flop, but I still feel like if what is being rumored pans out, the iPhone will continue to see a sales decline. The one thing that might stop this would be a price drop, but with the cost of doing business with China increasing via tariffs and labor, I doubt that will happen until Apple can shift production elsewhere—which is no small undertaking.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Well, first of all we've already had the S model. I just found it interesting because I am a hardcore Apple fan and I have never felt this way before except for the HomePod, which by most measures has not been very successful either when compared to other Apple products, or other smart speakers. But there are still a lot of unknowns about the 2019 iPhone, to be sure. It's just weird how so many great things have leaked about the 2020 iPhone and it seems like what has leaked about the 2019 iPhone isn't very interesting. We saw over the past year with Apple's iPhone sales dipping that more customers find it less worth it to upgrade when the iPhone is this expensive. A lackluster feature set in a design that looks mostly the same will certainly cause a further decline in sales. The iPhone is far from doomed or being labeled a flop, but I still feel like if what is being rumored pans out, the iPhone will continue to see a sales decline. The one thing that might stop this would be a price drop, but with the cost of doing business with China increasing via tariffs and labor, I doubt that will happen until Apple can shift production elsewhere—which is no small undertaking.

Same thing was said about iOS 13.

There isn’t any reason to have a reduction in price, sales are great.

Don’t be surprised when apple releases the 1tb iPhone 11 at higher price point than the 512gb Xs.

Which iPhone are you currently using?

Last edited:

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Huh. I assumed the recent iPhone models were already using ProMotion. My iPhone X from a couple years ago scrolls just as buttery smooth as my iPad Pro with ProMotion. I guess I wouldn’t even notice.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Huh. I assumed the recent iPhone models were already using ProMotion. My iPhone X from a couple years ago scrolls just as buttery smooth as my iPad Pro with ProMotion. I guess I wouldn’t even notice.

Pro motion is only triggered when you need it.

iPhone @60hz is just as smooth as android @90hz.

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
Asus has 120Hz OLED, just announced. OnePlus has 90Hz OLED available for a few months already. Others will be following later this year. If this is for 2020, Apple is more than fashionable late to the party. Again. They're not changing the smartphone market with it as stated in the article, they're following.
The difference being Apple's way uses dynamic refresh rate, so if you're just sitting staring at a static screen then its a very low rate, if your scrolling or gaming it'll jump up to 120, and if you're watching a movie, it refresh at the movie's rate. It'll save battery this way. I've used the OnePlus and it has just 2 settings, 60 or 90, I'm not sure about the Asus but I'll assume it will also be a choose your own rate, not a dynamic thing.

Rlittle89

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2016
Los Angeles, CA
Was really hoping this would be a 2019 feature. This year's iPhones are looking more and more lackluster.
Agreed! It's looking more and more like I'll be sticking with my trust iPhone X if the big new feature on the 11 is an ugly camera bump. Looking forward to 2020.

Nati-Yolie

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2011
G
Pro motion is only triggered when you need it.

iPhone @60hz is just as smooth as android @90hz.
God, FFR. Reading your posts in this thread is like cancer. I won’t get into all the other ridiculous comments you make, but iOS 60hz is not the same as android 90hz. Does iOS motion generally run without hiccups more than Android yes. But that doesn’t make two different hz amounts equivalent. 90hz on Android is a lot smoother than iPhones at 60hz. That’s how hz work. I will give you that iOS runs smoother so sometimes the Android display will stutter which takes away from the ultra smooth 90hz. But it doesn’t make 60hz the same as 90hz.

I own modern iPhones and Androids. I’m not loyal to either camp. Im only a objective reviewer. You sound a little brain-washed in favor of Apple. Don’t make ridiculous spec claims like you do without knowing the underlying tech well.

EDIT: TLDR. Don’t confuse good software optimization providing a smooth user experience with hardware specs that actually determine the clarity of motion.

Reactions: Aydy

ParaShot

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2016
Ankara, Turkey
Last year prices were already too high, sales have been slipping, there's also other reason but I think many will not pay for even higher prices, pretty sure Apple is aware of this.

Prices are already high enough but I seriously doubt Apple's seeing this sale slipping. They have the courage like " Whatever we do sell." So I hope we will be right and Apple wouldn't go upper side of 1000$.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.